Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I friend of mine has just completed GCSEs but has not got the grade required for taking AS level maths. He really doesn't want to take an extra year, but wants to retake the GCSE this year and do AS level maths in the second year of college. He's wondering if its possible to get into university for engineering (preferably Aeronautics - although I know that has even more maths than usual) with only an AS in maths. Does anyone know whether any universities accept people with only an AS in maths (but A2 in physics, electronics and biology) for engineering?

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt that any top uni would touch him, particularly for aeronautics. The problem is maths is the most important subject and more vital than physics and electronics.

I didnt look at any uni below the top 7, so I guess there maybe something out there. But I'm pretty sure there isnt. If he really wants to get into aeronautics he maybe better off working for Rolls Royce, BAE or the RAf after his a-levels and be employed to build and maintain the components of aircraft.

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for that confirmation I guessed it would probably have been that outcome....man he's not going to be happy

ReputationRep:
    You DEFINITELY need A2 Maths as an absolute bare minimum for Aeronautics. A couple of friends of mine who only did A2 Maths struggled to get through their first year of Maths, and that's with a full A level behind them...your mate would have a LOT of problems if he were only to take the AS. Unless he's incredibly gifted at Maths, then he would find that everything would rush by him unless he put a stupid amount of hours into revising (and as a fresher he probably won't :P).

Trust me, you definitely need a minimum of A2 Maths for Aeronautics...and having Further A2 under your belt (i.e having FP1, FP2 and FP3 from Edexcel - not sure about any other boards!) would definitely be a plus, and in some cases even necessary.

ReputationRep:
    It could be wise for him to do a Foundation year, and then may not even need to do AS as that would be covered in that year. But yeah physics and electronics will help as some point in the degree but maths is essential!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.