History at A-level Watch

levsaju
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was thinking on choosing History (alongside Maths,Chemistry and Economics) but i wanted to know any students' opinion's who have done the courses on Stuart monarchy and France in revolution for the AQA syllabus for A level history and what can History at a level help my in the future (looking to do a degree in something related to business, chemistry)
England113
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why do history if you want a degree in business or chemistry?
Jasaron
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by England113)
Why do history if you want a degree in business or chemistry?
It's one of the best A-Levels to do, regardless of degree aspirations.
Zaliqah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by levsaju)
I was thinking on choosing History (alongside Maths,Chemistry and Economics) but i wanted to know any students' opinion's who have done the courses on Stuart monarchy and France in revolution for the AQA syllabus for A level history and what can History at a level help my in the future (looking to do a degree in something related to business, chemistry)
I'm a history student although my school does not cover France Revolution and Stuart Monarchy but all I can tell you is that history requires a lot of reading. It's not the same as Maths and Chemistry where you can find the answers using the formula given and all.In History you require a criticical analysing skills and when I said criticical I mean CRITICAL!! I don't know about your country but in my country the paper asks for so much essays in a limited time. For example AS level History Paper Two requires you to answer FOUR essays in 1hr and 30 minutes so I wouldn't suggest History if you:
1)Don't like reading
2)Don't know a lot of difficult words(Need to know some since there is Source Based Question where they give you LOTS of difficult words)
3)A slow writer

But if you want to do something related to business and chemistry in the future I guess you don't need to take history, but it's up to you.

What you can contribute after studying history is this great analysing skills(again) and the ability to find the significance of this and that, usually very important if you wish to take Laws,but again...You want to do something related to business-

Well, Your life=Your decision

Good luck!
jsansome
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by levsaju)
I'm studying the French Revolution and the Tudors in History for AQA, but my friend is also studying the Stuarts as well. It is a lot of work - you have to do two topics and then also coursework on top of that, which is a 4,000 word essay on a particular topic that has to span 100 years. History essays have to be written quickly, within a certain time-frame for the exam. The essays are usually worth 24 marks (can't remember if this is the exact number) and you also have to evaluate historian's opinions, analysing sources.

It is essentially writing essays and making concise notes that are suitable for revision. I wouldn't call it enjoyable, because you have to remember so many dates and names, and be able to construct a convincing argument for essays, without it being too narrative.

If you don't mind doing that, then by all means go for it.

History is a well-respected subject and is recognised by Universities all across the country. But in terms of pursuing Chemistry or Business in the future, I'm not sure how much a History A-level will contribute.
England113
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jasaron)
It's one of the best A-Levels to do, regardless of degree aspirations.
Yes I am aware but physics or further maths would be better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%