The Student Room Group

Do I need further maths inorder to do maths at university?

Hello I am currently doing my A-levels and I am doing maths, economics, chemistry and physics at Alevel and I am very intrested in maths and was thinking of taking it to university. However my school didn't run a further maths course for my year as their wasn't enough student and also the school was having troubles with staffs. So therefore I wanted to know do I need further maths to do maths at those top universities. Please can someone help your advice will be very much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Which university?
Cambridge
Durham
Warwick
UCL
Baths
etc.
Original post by xbiostudentx
Which university?
If you have good reasons as such then no I suppose.
Original post by Ariyan khan
Cambridge
Durham
Warwick
UCL
Baths
etc.

Yes, you will need FM. Unless you can self teach STEP.
Reply 5
Hello I am currently doing my A-levels and I am doing maths, economics, chemistry and physics at Alevel and I am very intrested in maths and was thinking of taking it to university. However my school didn't run a further maths course for my year as their wasn't enough student and also the school was having troubles with staffs. So therefore I wanted to know do I need further maths to do maths at those top universities. Please can someone help your advice will be very much appreciated.

Cambridge
Durham
Warwick
UCL
Baths
etc.

Check the Maths entry requirements for each of those universities.
You might also want to consider self-teaching FM.
Reply 6
Uhm yes, of course?

I'm self teaching all the maths modules for edexcel this year, if you want any advice or things I've found as I'm going through it then feel free to PM me.

I'd definitely advise studying FM if you're applying to those universities though
Reply 8
Yes you should self teach it. Check out the FMSP for more information and support.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the advice but would you advice to me self tech only the As FM or the whole A level
Original post by wightsnowolf
I'm self teaching all the maths modules for edexcel this year, if you want any advice or things I've found as I'm going through it then feel free to PM me.

I'd definitely advise studying FM if you're applying to those universities though
Thanks for the advice but would you advice to me self tech only the As FM or the whole A level

Whole A level would be good if you could, but it depends on how you're managing the workload from your other subjects.

Do as much as you can handle - of course the full a level will be better if you can do it.
I think my school has a maths teache than can teach STEP
Yes, you will need FM. Unless you can self teach STEP.

If so then that's really useful. STEP is good preparation for higher education imo, or at least seems it to me. It'll also make up part of offers for maths for Cambridge and Warwick. Noone in my college would teach it but I don't need it for the courses I've applied for anyway.

I doubt it. STEP is too hard even for (most) teachers.

Don't bother with Cambridge as it requires STEP III, which is based off FM content. If you haven't got FM STEP III is pretty much impossible.
I doubt it. STEP is too hard even for (most) teachers.

Don't bother with Cambridge as it requires STEP III, which is based off FM content. If you haven't got FM STEP III is pretty much impossible.

Most good maths teachers should be able to help with STEP I think?
Original post by wightsnowolf
Most good maths teachers should be able to help with STEP I think?

Depends where your teacher got his maths degree from. If he went to a RG uni then yeah, probably. But most are just from low ranked local unis who can barely teach FM let alone STEP.
Depends where your teacher got his maths degree from. If he went to a RG uni then yeah, probably. But most are just from low ranked local unis who can barely teach FM let alone STEP.

Yeah that's fair enough.
Reply 17
Caution - Self teaching is pretty tough
Reply 18
Original post by .paak

Not if you're the sort of person applying to Cambridge maths.
Original post by .paak

That depends on the person I suppose, some people are more suited to it than others I think. Since I started self teaching I've been able to do a lot better than when I had to go to the classes.

Quick Reply

Latest