Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone
    I'm going to uni in a couple of weeks and starting to think about where to apply for a new part-time retail job while I'm there.

I've been working weekends in an independent shoe boutique with a pretty informal atmosphere for the past couple of years, and basically the rigidity of working for a massive chain like M&S or Sainsbury's (plus all the three-stage group interview/evaluation observation stuff that they seem to put you through) is unfamiliar to me and I don't really know what to expect, sooo...

which large employers that have good/bad reputations for employing uni students? as in being flexible and understanding with hours, good with overtime when you need it, not demanding you to work 37-hour weeks during your finals etc. or is that too much to ask for from big chainstores?

ReputationRep:
    I started working at Evan (part of arcadia -topshop, dorothy perkins etc are also in arcadia) during the summer of my second year of my degree.

I'm employed on a zero hour contract. Which means that during my exams etc I can tell my boss I don't want any hours. Again if I have a particularly heavy work load due to essays I can do the same. Aslong as you inform them that you are student they should be fine. One of my colleaguges is starting uni this year and is transferring to her uni town and will come back for hols.

Hope thats some use!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.