This discussion is closed.
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Two weeks ago, I decided to buy some of the books on my reading list.

I found all those I wanted except for one: Hodges - Logic (ISBN 0141003146)

Apparently, you're supposed to have done some work on it before turning up at Uni. It seems to be the most important Philosophy book in the first year.

So, that makes not finding it a problem...

I've tried on Amazon, but it would take too long. I tried on WHSmith and they ran out of stock just when I ordered the book!

Does anyone have any idea where else I could look for it? I need it fairly urgently.

Bear in mind that I don't live in the UK.

Thanks for any help.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What country do you live in? Just wondered whether you have a Waterstones shop? I usually find them incrediably helpful and they're usually prepared to order a book for you at no extra cost. If not, you'll just have to order it off Amazon. I'm sure it won't take that long - after all you've got like another 10wks before you start!
zizero
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
What country do you live in? Just wondered whether you have a Waterstones shop? I usually find them incrediably helpful and they're usually prepared to order a book for you at no extra cost. If not, you'll just have to order it off Amazon. I'm sure it won't take that long - after all you've got like another 10wks before you start!
The thing with Waterstones is that they work together with Amazon. So, online, if Amazon don't have it, Waterstones don't either.

I'd have to go to an individual shop.

I need the book now, cos I'm going to be away for the whole of September and I have other stuff to do as well in August. So, there isn't that much time really...

Anyway, my brother just texted me he found the book in... Cambridge. ;-)

So, all is well in the end.

Thanks for your advice though.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am amazed you couldn't find it, it's in pretty much everywhere I looked, as well as having loads of copies on Amazon. But then again I live in Cambridge...
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
I'd have to go to an individual shop.
Yeah that's what I meant, rather than use the web - soz if I was unclear!

Anyways at least you found it now!
zizero
Rep:
?
(Original post by RxB)
I am amazed you couldn't find it, it's in pretty much everywhere I looked, as well as having loads of copies on Amazon. But then again I live in Cambridge...
On Amazon it says: "usually dispatched within 3 to 5 weeks."

I need the book urgently, so that was not an option.
Jessie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You could try charity shops - ive got mill's utilitarianism and the concept of mind by ryle in Oxfam. They were 2.50 each, so it doesnt break the bank either.if u live near a uni town, the charity shops there are usually best, cos of all the students offloading their old books. Its a thought anyway.
earthmother
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
On Amazon it says: "usually dispatched within 3 to 5 weeks."

I need the book urgently, so that was not an option.
Blackwell's online has it available for immediate dispatch.

Abebooks is an excellent online second-hand book service. There are copies available on their UK website priced in sterling and on their USA one in dollars.

I've used the UK service. The books come from different shops but I've always received mine promptly. Take a look.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (71)
18.54%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (78)
20.37%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (72)
18.8%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (81)
21.15%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (40)
10.44%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.7%

Watched Threads