Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Two weeks ago, I decided to buy some of the books on my reading list.

I found all those I wanted except for one: Hodges - Logic (ISBN 0141003146)

Apparently, you're supposed to have done some work on it before turning up at Uni. It seems to be the most important Philosophy book in the first year.

So, that makes not finding it a problem...

I've tried on Amazon, but it would take too long. I tried on WHSmith and they ran out of stock just when I ordered the book!

Does anyone have any idea where else I could look for it? I need it fairly urgently.

Bear in mind that I don't live in the UK.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    What country do you live in? Just wondered whether you have a Waterstones shop? I usually find them incrediably helpful and they're usually prepared to order a book for you at no extra cost. If not, you'll just have to order it off Amazon. I'm sure it won't take that long - after all you've got like another 10wks before you start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    What country do you live in? Just wondered whether you have a Waterstones shop? I usually find them incrediably helpful and they're usually prepared to order a book for you at no extra cost. If not, you'll just have to order it off Amazon. I'm sure it won't take that long - after all you've got like another 10wks before you start!
    The thing with Waterstones is that they work together with Amazon. So, online, if Amazon don't have it, Waterstones don't either.

I'd have to go to an individual shop.

I need the book now, cos I'm going to be away for the whole of September and I have other stuff to do as well in August. So, there isn't that much time really...

Anyway, my brother just texted me he found the book in... Cambridge. ;-)

So, all is well in the end.

Thanks for your advice though.

ReputationRep:
    I am amazed you couldn't find it, it's in pretty much everywhere I looked, as well as having loads of copies on Amazon. But then again I live in Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    I'd have to go to an individual shop.
    Yeah that's what I meant, rather than use the web - soz if I was unclear!

Anyways at least you found it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    I am amazed you couldn't find it, it's in pretty much everywhere I looked, as well as having loads of copies on Amazon. But then again I live in Cambridge...
    On Amazon it says: "usually dispatched within 3 to 5 weeks."

I need the book urgently, so that was not an option.

ReputationRep:
    You could try charity shops - ive got mill's utilitarianism and the concept of mind by ryle in Oxfam. They were 2.50 each, so it doesnt break the bank either.if u live near a uni town, the charity shops there are usually best, cos of all the students offloading their old books. Its a thought anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    On Amazon it says: "usually dispatched within 3 to 5 weeks."

I need the book urgently, so that was not an option.
    Blackwell's online has it available for immediate dispatch.

Abebooks is an excellent online second-hand book service. There are copies available on their UK website priced in sterling and on their USA one in dollars.

I've used the UK service. The books come from different shops but I've always received mine promptly. Take a look.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.