Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Do you think you could help me....I feel a little stupid asking this, as its probably really obvious...but...

    When it says windows vista, that is the operating system, right? And so to have Microsoft word and stuff is extra software I need to buy? Where do I buy it, and how much is it?

    Thank you!

    Vista doesn't include Word. For that, you'll need Office.

    If your parents use a computer as work, their workplace might do something called "home use program" - that means employees get a cut-price copy to use at home. (<£20) One example is the NHS.

    The next option is "Office Home and Student". This is Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote, which is a program specially for students to keep their notes. It's about £90 for amazon. You get a license for 3 computers, which means you can install it on your own computer and two friends' computers and split the cost to make it £30 each.

    If you use any of the other Office programs (which is unusual) you can pay out of the nose for some other edition. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...635841033.aspx

    If you don't mind using something which is similar to Office, but not actually Office, you can download OpenOffice.org for free. It includes word processing, spreadsheet, desktop publishing (i.e. flyers) and more. http://www.openoffice.org.

    And finally, you can get a pirated version. DO NOT PAY FOR PIRATED COPIES as if they don't work, you will have a useless coaster. Instead, download it yourself or get an IT-knowledgeable friend to download it, and if it ends up not working, you're out of luck. (Microsoft can remotely de-activate your copy if they figure out it's pirated, but they can't find out your name or address, nor do they send men in dark suits after you.)
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 28, 2007
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.