What is the difference between RAW score and UMS mark?

Watch
Reshyna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone. I was practicing a past paper this morning and a question came to my mind. So when I calculated the total marks of all questions I got the total RAW score not the UMS marks. When I searched this on the internet I got a file and it is attached below. Here I can only calculate the RAW score not the UMS mark. How are the grades awarded? Do they depend on the RAW score or the UMS mark?

Spoiler:
Show

Guys could you help me please?
pondsteps, sarah99630, Saima Hasnain, Assmaa M., nisha.sri, Baniazz, alow

It's really urgent

Attached files
K-Man_PhysCheM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
After all the papers are marked, your raw mark is converted into UMS, which has been standardised to 90+ UMS = A*, 80+ UMS = A, 70+ UMS = B etc... Both matter, as one is dependent on the other, but every year 90 UMS will be an A*, while one year 63/70 might be A* but another year that same RAW score might just be an A: UMS standardises the score.

If you can find RAW mark grade boundaries for the papers online, use those, as you only have your raw marks!

On results day, you are told your UMS score, not your raw, and so I think that file is for people to convert their UMS from results day into raw marks so that they can estimate what raw mark they might have achieved. Either way, don't worry too much about your grade in past papers at this stage, and instead focus on learning from your mistakes and maximising your raw score for consequent past papers.

Reshyna
Reshyna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
After all the papers are marked, your raw mark is converted into UMS, which has been standardised to 90+ UMS = A*, 80+ UMS = A, 70+ UMS = B etc... Both matter, as one is dependent on the other, but every year 90 UMS will be an A*, while one year 63/70 might be A* but another year that same RAW score might just be an A: UMS standardises the score.

If you can find RAW mark grade boundaries for the papers online, use those, as you only have your raw marks!

On results day, you are told your UMS score, not your raw, and so I think that file is for people to convert their UMS from results day into raw marks so that they can estimate what raw mark they might have achieved. Either way, don't worry too much about your grade in past papers at this stage, and instead focus on learning from your mistakes and maximising your raw score for consequent past papers.

Reshyna
Thank you so much for your help
Saima Hasnain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah @K-Man_PhysCheM is right. For now you can do past papers and review them. Go through all the questions that give you problems- especially for physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (20)
7.72%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.37%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.67%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (71)
27.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.15%

Watched Threads