Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How and wen do we get an NUS card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    How and wen do we get an NUS card?
    NUS card....you could've got one in 6th form...all you had to do was fill out a form...get your 6th to stamp it..and send it off with £6.

G

ReputationRep:
    when you get to uni, your student union will give you an application form (if they are members of nus, which most are). You then fill in form, send back with money, and a few weeks later, bob's your uncle and cheap booze for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Well, an NUS Associate card .. I had one of those but unfortunately they don't extend it to the end of your gap year and to the start of uni. Appalling!

That kinda stuff is sorted out in the first week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    when you get to uni, your student union will give you an application form (if they are members of nus, which most are). You then fill in form, send back with money, and a few weeks later, bob's your uncle and cheap booze for everyone!
    Yup..valid till end of august i believe...so the best time to get one is early september. I see you found your way into the Durham subforum willa

G

ReputationRep:
    i was just popping in to see why on earth you are in here, you traitor!

ReputationRep:
    i was just popping in to see why on earth you are in here, you traitor!
    Lol..not a traitor no..i just click on the new posts bit at the top..and if there are any decent active threads..i will post.

G

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i take it willa is another cambridge person??? well you lot can't keep away lol

ReputationRep:
    u just watch me!

ReputationRep:
    Actually for Durham, all the cards are rolled into 1 "Campus Card", which is made up on the spot at registration, so the hungover photo they take at that point lasts you for 3/4 years

This card is your University ID, your Library Card, your DSU Membership Card, your NUS Card, and is also used for swipe-card access to some blocks, such as the 24hour computer rooms, outside "normal" hours.

Some colleges use them for access to accomodation blocks. How that works for freshers before they have got their card made up I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    Actually for Durham, all the cards are rolled into 1 "Campus Card", which is made up on the spot at registration, so the hungover photo they take at that point lasts you for 3/4 years

This card is your University ID, your Library Card, your DSU Membership Card, your NUS Card, and is also used for swipe-card access to some blocks, such as the 24hour computer rooms, outside "normal" hours.

Some colleges use them for access to accomodation blocks. How that works for freshers before they have got their card made up I don't know.
    lol, i suppose you camp outside your block until you get a card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    lol, i suppose you camp outside your block until you get a card
    I assume they either have a stock of generic cards for the 1st week, or a bypass code for the keypads next to the reader.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of people accidentally "losing" their campus cards, and surprisingly no other cards from their wallet and then getting a new card, where they are allowed to have a new photo. I think a mate of mine did that as his photo was so awful he couldn't stand people to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Lol..not a traitor no..i just click on the new posts bit at the top..and if there are any decent active threads..i will post.

G
    That and you were playing with me, waiting until i realised it was you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    That and you were playing with me, waiting until i realised it was you!
    Well.....yes....tis true....couldn't resist

Did you get the pic then??

G

ReputationRep:

Well thats 90% of the story - your Campus Card is your NUS Membership Card but to get a discount in some shops such as HMV (Where they scan your card through the till) you need a standard NUSOnline card, you can ask for one of these at DSU reception and it comes with a discount vouchers booklet.

Uni and college students don't have to pay for their NUS cards because the their own local students union pays one affiliation fee to NUS for the students' union to be a member which pays for the card and helps run NUS.

Students' unions are banned in schools but individuals can join on an associate basis - the assciate card is what costs £6.

As to NO to NUS, let me just point out:
    http://wikisource.org/wiki/Referendu...NUS_membership Durham's membership gives us a great deal - yes there are problems to solve be we have proved we are much better engaging in NUS rather than shouting from the sidelines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieren)
    Well thats 90% of the story - your Campus Card is your NUS Membership Card but to get a discount in some shops such as HMV (Where they scan your card through the till) you need a standard NUSOnline card, you can ask for one of these at DSU reception and it comes with a discount vouchers booklet.

Uni and college students don't have to pay for their NUS cards because the their own local students union pays one affiliation fee to NUS for the students' union to be a member which pays for the card and helps run NUS.

Students' unions are banned in schools but individuals can join on an associate basis - the assciate card is what costs £6.

As to NO to NUS, let me just point out:
    http://wikisource.org/wiki/Referendu...NUS_membership Durham's membership gives us a great deal - yes there are problems to solve be we have proved we are much better engaging in NUS rather than shouting from the sidelines.
    Oh yes, I forgot about the few fussy shops. I never had any problems with just the campus card personally, but I do remember things being discussed regarding NUSOnline cards

As for pulling out of NUS, DSU cannot disaffiliate that easily for at least the next 2 years, due to contracts signed by a previous Treasurer (Andy Beales)
    The most powerful argument for disaffiliation is financial, but in DSUs rather unique case we would actually be worse off financially outside of NUS, due to the NUSSL deal, and the high volumes of beer consumed by DSU members.

ReputationRep:
    Well I shall need one of the NUSOnline cards. I need that HMV discount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    NUS card....you could've got one in 6th form...all you had to do was fill out a form...get your 6th to stamp it..and send it off with £6.

G

You had to pay £6! Rip off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    You had to pay £6! Rip off!
    Please don't tell me you got it free!!!!!!:eek:

G

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.