Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    Not even a knob creek?
    2 things about that James:

1) That actually bourbon...and was strong enough that the taste didn't actually matter...the fact that it burned my throat was nice enough
    2) It was a double knob creek

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    2 things about that James:

1) That actually bourbon...and was strong enough that the taste didn't actually matter...the fact that it burned my throat was nice enough
    2) It was a double knob creek

G
    1) the burning is expected, and is very nice, but you still get the aftertaste which is very distinctive.
    2) I remember that, im sorry if i didn't put that down... note to self, it has to be a double in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    1) the burning is expected, and is very nice, but you still get the aftertaste which is very distinctive.
    2) I remember that, im sorry if i didn't put that down... note to self, it has to be a double in future.
    It wasn't actually that bad to be honest with you...bourbon has quite a nice sweet sharp aftertaste

says geoff turning into an alky

G

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't actually that bad to be honest with you...bourbon has quite a nice sweet sharp aftertaste

says geoff turning into an alky

G
    Much better. We shall make a student out of you yet!
    It was on the rocks though which does alleviate a lot of the burning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    Much better. We shall make a student out of you yet!
    It was on the rocks though which does alleviate a lot of the burning.
    Lol....maybe....i'm actually not a big drinker...i don't know about all this less burning on the rocks malarkey!! :rolleyes:

G

ReputationRep:
    Lol....maybe....i'm actually not a big drinker...i don't know about all this less burning on the rocks malarkey!! :rolleyes:

G
    Ice, man, Ice! It cools it down and the drink slips down much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    Ice, man, Ice! It cools it down and the drink slips down much easier.
    I'll take your word for it!

G

ReputationRep:
    What in the world is NUS? Please someone, explain all this to me.

I'm so confused with all these cards that you UK students seem to have to apply for... all these abbreviations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)

I'm so confused with all these cards that you UK students seem to have to apply for... all these abbreviations!
    Lol..NUS= National Union of Students

Basically...if you sign up and get theor student card...lots of shops will give you discounts and stuff

G

ReputationRep:
    National Union of Students. They are the ones who are supposed to represent us, and get us the good discounts!

ReputationRep:

NUS is the National Union of Students

ISIC is the International Student Identity Card

DSU is Durham Students' Union

HMV used to stand for His Masters Voice, but is now just known as HMV. It is a record shop

You don't really need an NUS card as your university Id will cover you for all except HMV outside of durham. The HMV store in Durham has agreed to honour the university card

Edit: Beaten to it on defining NUS by 2 others, but leaving the post up as I will make a few more comments.

Many shops in the UK offer student discount. The NUS would like you to believe that you only get that discount upon production of a valid NUS card. That is not true. It would be illegal for the shops to offer discounts to NUS members alone as opposed to students in general. The NUS card simply prooves you are a student and is convienient for shops as they can easily spot valid/forged NUS cards. The ISIC also prooves that you are a student, and is recognised world-wide. Typically within a university town/city the local shops will recognise the university issued cards as well. Its only when going home, or to visit people in another city that an NUS card or ISIC may be useful.

DSU is currently affiliated to NUS at a cost of just under £12,500 per year. Some student unions are charged up to £90,000 per year. There is a growing movement for unions to split away from NUS and let it die away, as the services it provides are not seen as value for money by many students these days

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. thanks for the many replies!

So I can sign up for the NUS and ISIC when I'm over at Durham yeh? Eeek..

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. thanks for the many replies!

So I can sign up for the NUS and ISIC when I'm over at Durham yeh? Eeek..
    Your university campus card will be all you need in and around Durham and Newcastle. I wouldn't bother with the NUS card personally.

You'll be able to sign up for an ISIC card at their nearest office, which apparently is in Newcastle

You can also get one, once you have a letter from Durham confirming your place from here

Anthony Tours & Travel
    Phone: +673 2 222 666
    Email: [email protected]
    Internet: www.anthonytours.com
    Address:
    8B, 1/F Princess Norain Shopping Complex
    Km2 Jalan Tutong
    Bandar Seri Begawan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    Your university campus card will be all you need in and around Durham and Newcastle. I wouldn't bother with the NUS card personally.

You'll be able to sign up for an ISIC card at their nearest office, which apparently is in Newcastle

You can also get one, once you have a letter from Durham confirming your place from here
    Dave, you are seriously brilliant. THANKS I can't rep you anymore until I've spread it around a bit, but every single post of yours has been really helpful. I'll make my card here, along with my HSBC bank account etc.

ReputationRep:
    Dave, you are seriously brilliant. THANKS I can't rep you anymore until I've spread it around a bit, but every single post of yours has been really helpful. I'll make my card here, along with my HSBC bank account etc.
    Cheers!

I just searched on google for ISIC, found their site and it listed all the cities in all the countries where you can obtain one from http://www.isic.org/sisp/index.htm?fx=isic.offices has more details.

ReputationRep:
    NUS is the National Union of Students

ISIC is the International Student Identity Card

DSU is Durham Students' Union

HMV used to stand for His Masters Voice, but is now just known as HMV. It is a record shop

You don't really need an NUS card as your university Id will cover you for all except HMV outside of durham. The HMV store in Durham has agreed to honour the university card

Edit: Beaten to it on defining NUS by 2 others, but leaving the post up as I will make a few more comments.

Many shops in the UK offer student discount. The NUS would like you to believe that you only get that discount upon production of a valid NUS card. That is not true. It would be illegal for the shops to offer discounts to NUS members alone as opposed to students in general. The NUS card simply prooves you are a student and is convienient for shops as they can easily spot valid/forged NUS cards. The ISIC also prooves that you are a student, and is recognised world-wide. Typically within a university town/city the local shops will recognise the university issued cards as well. Its only when going home, or to visit people in another city that an NUS card or ISIC may be useful.

DSU is currently affiliated to NUS at a cost of just under £12,500 per year. Some student unions are charged up to £90,000 per year. There is a growing movement for unions to split away from NUS and let it die away, as the services it provides are not seen as value for money by many students these days
    To correct a few mistakes in this thread about NUS -
    - NUS affliation fees were capped at £50000 in June
    - Bigger unions pay more, smaller ones pay less
    - Southampton could have sent far more delegates to national conference than two; the number of delegates you send is based on many members you have. If a Students' Union doesn't send its full quota of delegates that is the Students' Unions fault.
    - There is no growing movement for disaffliation: just look at the referendums link I posted earlier. Unfortunatly some students who oppose the principles of the NUS will be always trying to damage it.
    - Your university campus card is actually your DSU and NUS membership card (it is all you need to register as a delegate at NUS Conference for example). You just need the extra NUS swipecard for some shops because the DSU card does not have the correct magnetic strip to work with their machines.

Unfortunatly Students' Unions such as Southampton still benefit from some of the acheivements of NUS's work (e.g. getting the law setting up the tenant deposit scheme or making sure next years school leavers can take a gap year without paying top up fees) without paying their fair share towards acheving them.

Where is HMV in Durham? I find it hard to believe that it is actually illegal to advertise an NUS discount instead of a student discount. How does the Union Society get away with negotiating discounts for its members?

Despite contracts between DSU and NUSSL we could still hold an affliation referendum now if we wanted to - it takes some time to go through the process anyway. You would need to get the signatures of 5% of the members of DSU to call the referendum (soon to be lowered to 250 signatures) anyone wanting to do this should however realise that holding a referendum would take many students away from actually campaigning for students and into campaigning on whether to stay in NUS or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieren)
    To correct a few mistakes in this thread about NUS -
    - NUS affliation fees were capped at £50000 in June
    - Bigger unions pay more, smaller ones pay less
    - Southampton could have sent far more delegates to national conference than two; the number of delegates you send is based on many members you have. If a Students' Union doesn't send its full quota of delegates that is the Students' Unions fault.
    I was not aware that Conference had agreed to cap the affiliation fee.
    According to PencilQueen, who works for Southampton the levy is calculated based upon percentage of the composition fee. Durham does well out of this, as much of the Universities money is channeled into the JCRs and DUAU. For unions who provide such services they are worse off than us.

I take it you roughly agree with my figure of £12.5K, which is taken from Andy Beales last budget.

(Original post by Kieren)
    - There is no growing movement for disaffliation: just look at the referendums link I posted earlier. Unfortunatly some students who oppose the principles of the NUS will be always trying to damage it.
    - Your university campus card is actually your DSU and NUS membership card (it is all you need to register as a delegate at NUS Conference for example). You just need the extra NUS swipecard for some shops because the DSU card does not have the correct magnetic strip to work with their machines.

Unfortunatly Students' Unions such as Southampton still benefit from some of the acheivements of NUS's work (e.g. getting the law setting up the tenant deposit scheme or making sure next years school leavers can take a gap year without paying top up fees) without paying their fair share towards acheving them.

Where is HMV in Durham? I find it hard to believe that it is actually illegal to advertise an NUS discount instead of a student discount. How does the Union Society get away with negotiating discounts for its members?

Despite contracts between DSU and NUSSL we could still hold an affliation referendum now if we wanted to - it takes some time to go through the process anyway. You would need to get the signatures of 5% of the members of DSU to call the referendum (soon to be lowered to 250 signatures) anyone wanting to do this should however realise that holding a referendum would take many students away from actually campaigning for students and into campaigning on whether to stay in NUS or not.
    I know that we are not bound by the NUSSL deal contractually, however we would need to find an alternative purchasing consortium before disaffiliation. There may be contracts signed with NUS over the loan they made us a couple of years back. The full details were not disclosed to Finance and Services, it was simply minuted as "AB is happy" At the very least we would need to repay the outstanding balance upon disaffiliation

I am referring more to the political aspect than the services arm of NUS. I agree fully with what they stand for, what I disagree with is how it is being done. Their financial management is atrocious. 2 conferences back there was a motion pledging financial support to the striking firefighters. This year there was an emergency conference to sort out their finances, and they have been forced to put their buildings in Holloway Rd on the market. That is not the kind of thing that should be happening with such an organisation.

I used to be of the opinion that NUS needed saving, and by sending the right delegates, and the right motions and doing the right thing this could be achieved. Looking back now, I feel they are too far gone. NUS needs to die away, and a new union, with a new foundation needs to be constructed.

Simply put, if the presidents of the various unions get together, they alone will be more of a force than NUS. NUS contains career student politicians, who when they finally fail to get elected aged 30, start a basket weaving course at their local FE college and are straight back onto the NEC the next year.

What reasons can you give me that we should spend money debating Iraq and Palestine down in Blackpool, rather than invest it in local services in Durham?

What reasons can you give me that we should spend money so that students get to climb the greasy political pole down in Blackpool, rather than invest it in local services in Durham?

What reasons can you give me that we should spend money so that factions get to play around with procedural motions of no confidence in the chair down in Blackpool, rather than invest it in local services in Durham?

Edit:

I have been wondering whether to go through with a serious attempt at disaffiliation this year. I am now fairly decided that I will bring the 1st stage to the opening Council of Michaelmass term. A while back the union considered a report into NUS/NUSSL entitled "Removing the Greasy Pole" A sub-committee of the then Finance and Services committee was set up, and I was on the subcommittee. Then Andy Beales negotiated the loan, and the sub-committee never reported back. I shall bring a motion, reviving this sub-committee so Council can have all the facts availible.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't bother, Dave. I like the NUS. It has a shiny logo. Do we really believe that in the long run a new national student union body would be any different. Destroying the NUS isn't going to kill off budding career politicians, so unless you decide to kill of the students' union movement altogether, something I firmly disagree with, then they will always be a part of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt.berlin)
    Oh don't bother, Dave. I like the NUS. It has a shiny logo. Do we really believe that in the long run a new national student union body would be any different. Destroying the NUS isn't going to kill off budding career politicians, so unless you decide to kill of the students' union movement altogether, something I firmly disagree with, then they will always be a part of it.
    This will be my last post in the Durham subforum on the relative merits of NUS, for more details, there may very well be a disaffiliation campaign come October.

The ideals of NUS are good, what it stands for is good. The current implementation is very poor though. I always used to support reform rather than starting from scratch. The problem is that to reform NUS, you would need to get a new constitution passed by 2 consecutive Annual conferences, where the factions would tear it to pieces. It has been tried, and it has failed. If people could convince me that reform is possible then I would support it fully.

DSU has similar aims to NUS, on a local scale, and I think overall it does a good job. You still get the politicians, but the structure is there to make the system work, in spite of who may be there.

A lot of NUS's problems would be solved by making it a charity. This has been proposed and defeated numerous times. As a charity they would be bound by law, to prevent them wasting time and money on things that don't affect students, and would get a hefty tax break as well. If NUS became a charity they would have taken the first step towards reforming themselves into something that works.

I want to see an effective, efficient national union. If NUS can become that then good. If not then one needs to be created, and NUS can be left to die away.

ReputationRep:
    This will be my last post in the Durham subforum on the relative merits of NUS, for more details, there may very well be a disaffiliation campaign come October.

The ideals of NUS are good, what it stands for is good. The current implementation is very poor though. I always used to support reform rather than starting from scratch. The problem is that to reform NUS, you would need to get a new constitution passed by 2 consecutive Annual conferences, where the factions would tear it to pieces. It has been tried, and it has failed. If people could convince me that reform is possible then I would support it fully.

DSU has similar aims to NUS, on a local scale, and I think overall it does a good job. You still get the politicians, but the structure is there to make the system work, in spite of who may be there.

A lot of NUS's problems would be solved by making it a charity. This has been proposed and defeated numerous times. As a charity they would be bound by law, to prevent them wasting time and money on things that don't affect students, and would get a hefty tax break as well. If NUS became a charity they would have taken the first step towards reforming themselves into something that works.

I want to see an effective, efficient national union. If NUS can become that then good. If not then one needs to be created, and NUS can be left to die away.
    OK I don't expect a reply to this then but I would just urge you to wait for the report on extraordinary conference before you decide to go down the disaffliation path. Lots of reforms were made there and there should be another conference before Christmas to ratify them. Only the really crazy far left factions actually oppose the reforms so they have a very very high chance of being passed.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.