The Student Room Group

Help on A levels

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by osianmorgan
Hi i am unsure what i want to do in the future so i'm trying to choose subjects that are quite broad.
I'm planning for to do English lit and RS for definite. However i'm not confident in another subject. I do love French however I am unsure if i'm capable. Also I'd love to do history but i didn't take it as a Gcse, is this a problem? I have become really interested in economics and i'm considering this as an option. However i'm not very good at science or maths. Could you give me some guidance?

English lit, RS, French.
Don't do history, as it'll be very hard for you to catch up with the others.
Don't do economics if you struggle with maths and science.
This is all my advice.
Good luck in the A-levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
English lit, RS, French.
Don't do history, as it'll be very hard for you to catch up with the others.
Don't do economics if you struggle with maths and science.
This is all my advice.
Good luck in the A-levels.

Hey you are wrong!
Economics doesn't require big Maths skills at all! Science do not relate to Economics!

I do Economics, Maths, Accounting & French [excluding General Paper]

Economics is more likely to be essay type questions.

You are misleading him dude! I suck in Maths but pretty good in Economics.
Original post by Trevish
Hey you are wrong!
Economics doesn't require big Maths skills at all! Science do not relate to Economics!

I do Economics, Maths, Accounting & French [excluding General Paper]

Economics is more likely to be essay type questions.

You are misleading him dude! I suck in Maths but pretty good in Economics.

How am I meant to know?
I do IT, Computing and Maths for my A-levels
Reply 4
How am I meant to know?
I do IT, Computing and Maths for my A-levels

Then you should not give your opinion on Economics.
Also
There are subjects that they start from the bottom we can call it, at A levels. Sociology is one of them,History MIGHT BE TOO
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trevish
Then you should not give your opinion on Economics.

Not opinion.
Advice from what I know.
From what you're saying, I obviously know absolutely nothing!
I ain't completely focussed as I have one hell of a hangover at the moment.
Reply 6
Not opinion.
Advice from what I know.
From what you're saying, I obviously know absolutely nothing!
I ain't completely focussed as I have one hell of a hangover at the moment.

Then it's better not to give an advice than giving a misleading advice.
Original post by Trevish
Then it's better not to give an advice than giving a misleading advice.

Although it does depend on how far you want to take the Economics
Reply 8
Although it does depend on how far you want to take the Economics

Not necessarily. I started doing Economics in Grade 9( where I learned the basics) and chose it for my IGCSEs and as well doing it in my A Levels.
There is a low chance though that I will pursue an Economics-related course in Uni since I want to do Accounting and Finance instead.

PS: Currently in year 13
Original post by Trevish
Not necessarily. I started doing Economics in Grade 9( where I learned the basics) and chose it for my IGCSEs and as well doing it in my A Levels.
There is a low chance though that I will pursue an Economics-related course in Uni since I want to do Accounting and Finance instead.

PS: Currently in year 13

You say 'not necessarily'.
Does that mean you agree with part of what I'm saying?
You say 'not necessarily'.
Does that mean you agree with part of what I'm saying?

I'm saying for the part where you say it depends how far you want to take Economics. I'm not saying for the "don't take it" one.
Original post by Trevish
I'm saying for the part where you say it depends how far you want to take Economics. I'm not saying for the "don't take it" one.

50-50's good enough for me in this case.
50-50's good enough for me in this case.

No lol. He mentioned that he doesn't know what to in the future. In case he decides to do Economics and then pursue an Economics degree at UNI, he got a broad choice of careers.

Spoiler

Thank you for your response, what does the course involve and does it require a certain grade in maths?
Thank you for your response, what does the course involve and does it require a certain grade in maths?

In general all Unis demand a certain grade requirement for Maths whether it is at GCSE or A level. However it varies from Uni to Uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok cheers, are all those subject 'respected' by unis?
Ok cheers, are all those subject 'respected' by unis?

If you were to ask me a perfect combination
I would recommend Economics, Accounting & Maths at A level
PS: I do French at AS level
PPS: I also undertake CIE Examboard taking into account I'm from Mauritius
Hi i am unsure what i want to do in the future so i'm trying to choose subjects that are quite broad.
I'm planning for to do English lit and RS for definite. However i'm not confident in another subject. I do love French however I am unsure if i'm capable. Also I'd love to do history but i didn't take it as a Gcse, is this a problem? I have become really interested in economics and i'm considering this as an option. However i'm not very good at science or maths. Could you give me some guidance?

You can certainly do History for an A-level, even if you haven't got a GCSE in it. It can be quite useful to have some knowledge already (for example, if you're going to be studying Cold War, it is an advantage to have some information on the topic) but you don't need a prior qualification at this stage.

However, think carefully about what you what the balance of work to be. English, History and RS are all essay-based subjects - so think whether you want to be doing essays as homework most of the time, compared to Economics questions (though you do have to write essays for Economics).

I took 3 essay subjects and regretted taking History, only because I have to do 3 different topics/time periods within the subject (Tudors, French Revolution and American Civil Rights). I would have done Philosophy instead, but this is still an essay subject, so don't let my opinion put you off. I just say this because I was juggling English and History coursework at the same time, which was stressful. Then add exam revision on top of that.

I would just say: take some time to research the subjects a bit further before you make a final decision. Then you can weigh up your options - figure out what your strength is in subjects and exams, and then work around that.

Quick Reply

Latest