Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when are these and how important are they. my parents want to book a holiday for 3 weeks at the end of december and i'm wondering whether i will have collections in january and how important is it to work for them during the christmas holiday

ReputationRep:
    You will have collections at the start of term, but you should be able to go on holiday...I don't know what it's like at Magdalen, or what your tutors will be like, but first term collections (or any collections, really), are about as important as you want them to be at Queen's, within reason. I certainly wouldn't not go on holiday because of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    I heard univ have to wear full subfusc and go to exam schools to sit them, but i dont know if thats true or not. Definitely dont miss out on your holiday though, i dont know anyone who spent more than the week before revising for them
    They do (it is only next door for them though, would be like us doing collections in the King's Arms... except not quite...)
    I wonder if those kids who were in the library at 8am last term spent more than a week revising for collections Dom... man, I'm glad I'm not one of them...

ReputationRep:
    Definitely varies by college - Jesus is collection city
    Yes Univ do them at Schools - so do Teddy Hall and a few other places
    I think the question is how much work will you be able to do while on holiday - if this is going to be sitting in a villa and you can take some notes with you then sure why not - but if you're completely writing off revision time at all then i wouldn't want to risk it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do medics have department-set collections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Even if they do it may not necessarily be set by the college. There is one for physics, but we've never been set it at Keble.

I'd also like this opportunity to gloat about the fact I never have collections ever again :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Yes, we have department-set collections AND college-set collections. So we often have five or six collection papers (not all three hours in length, to be fair).

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't worry about them. They're fairly informal affairs. Only really there to make you at least do some work over the vacation - which is good as it's very hard to fit it all into the last term. You might get money if you do well. On the other hand, you might get a telling off if you do badly!

ReputationRep:
    well it's booked now, december 17th to 30th i think, so not too bad i spose, and i think i've probably got a bit of time either side, cheers for all the replies folks, lets just hope brasenose don't take them ultra seriously then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I'd also like this opportunity to gloat about the fact I never have collections ever again :cool:
    Not entirely true Stu - our major options groups can set us them (though often they just set you the previous year's exam paper)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by chocolatebear)
    well it's booked now, december 17th to 30th i think, so not too bad i spose, and i think i've probably got a bit of time either side, cheers for all the replies folks, lets just hope brasenose don't take them ultra seriously then
    You'll have 10 days when you get back, you could take a bit of work with you on holiday - you'll be fine

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.