The Student Room Group

Chemistry students - what is your favourite element from the periodic table and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I don't think so though :frown:
:colondollar: piano :toofunny:
You mean violin :wink: Even though I'm not even that good :rofl:
Idk about the personality one

Nuh-uh I tought you said you had an acompanist for piano lessons

lmao pls dont tell me I made a mistake omd
Original post by 0to100
Nuh-uh I tought you said you had an acompanist for piano lessons

lmao pls dont tell me I made a mistake omd

Accompanist for my violin exam :wink:
Lithium cause its unstable like me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Accompanist for my violin exam :wink:

If I were in person you could smack me for that
well

fine

you have loads of talents like chemistry, VIOLIN, languages, and personality lol
Original post by 0to100
If I were in person you could smack me for that
well

fine

you have loads of talents like chemistry, VIOLIN, languages, and personality lol

:slap: :tongue:
:yy:

These are ****ing cool, I've no idea why I didn't catch on as a teen
Thorium
hydrogen
Original post by James A
My favourite would be Carbon because it has multiple oxidation states and can exist in different structures! (it also is the backbone of organic chemistry) :biggrin:

This can also include diatomic molecules e.g. H2, O2

Mine is probably carbon too. Just because 18 millions of 20 millions known compounds contains this element. It is the backbone in organic chemistry as you said, plus it is the only element of periodic table which is capable of making four compounds and so molecules with carbon are able to get different forms. Our life on earth were completely different without carbon. I even say life would not exist without it.
Reply 49
Original post by Kallisto
Mine is probably carbon too. Just because 18 millions of 20 millions known compounds contains this element. It is the backbone in organic chemistry as you said, plus it is the only element of periodic table which is capable of making four compounds and so molecules with carbon are able to get different forms. Our life on earth were completely different without carbon. I even say life would not exist without it.

Eh, carbon nitrogen and hydrogen make some of that trinitrotoluene :tongue:
Did you hear about the farmer arrested for making his farm animals breathe helium?

I say, whatever floats you goat.
Original post by alow
x

It seems I was not understandable. Just to clear, I said that carbon is the only element to make four bonds (gosh, I have really confused that term with compound, how silly of myself!). Thanks to this property of carbon, molecules with those atoms in it have complex forms, just to think about the protein molecules, the synthetic materials just to name but a few. Or the molecular structures of diamonds, graphites and nano tubes which consist of carbon only. Is this the way better to understand?
(edited 7 years ago)
It seems I was not understandable. Just to clear, I said that carbon is the only element to make four bonds (gosh, I have really confused that term with compound, how silly of myself!). Thanks to this property of carbon, molecules with those atoms in it have complex forms, just to think about the protein molecules, the synthetic materials just to name but a few. Or the molecular structures of diamonds, graphites and nano tubes which consist of carbon only. Is this the way better to understand?

Umm.... Silicon?

:rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55

Carbon definitely isn't the only element to make four bonds... And forming different allotropes is not unique to C, many other elements can form varied elemental structures (see B, P, Sb, etc.).

The chemistry of carbon is incredibly well suited for life on Earth, but that's most likely because life on Earth evolved to use carbon. There's no reason to think life couldn't have evolved to use different elements just as successfully in a different environment to our own.
(edited 7 years ago)
True. How did I have forget this element?

Original post by alow
Carbon definitely isn't the only element to make four bonds... And forming different allotropes is not unique to C, many other elements can form varied elemental structures (see B, P, Sb, etc.).

The chemistry of carbon is incredibly well suited for life on Earth, but that's most likely because life on Earth evolved to use carbon. There's no reason to think life couldn't have evolved to use different elements just as successfully in a different environment to our own.

Wow, there are more elements with this property I have ever known and expected. It looks like I have some elements underrestimated. Next time, when I am reading a chemistry book, I will keep an eye on making bonds and allotrope forms. Thanks for your instructive message. Always interest in to learn something new. :smile:

Is it not a bit disgusting to laugh at the other's lack of knowledge, especially they are trying to know it better for next time? made mistakes, was wrong, adhere on that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest