Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you do, what weight for each do you tend to use? I use 5kg per dumbbell and do about 100 - 200 lifts a day. Hope to get stronger.

ReputationRep:
    if you want my advice, i'd delete this before imasillynarb comes and laughs you down

ReputationRep:
    100 lifts with 5kg? That's about as aerobic as they come mate. You haven't told us what you're using your dumbells for, so if you're planning to lose fat and build up strength, that's about right. But muscle gain from that isn't going to be too good.

ReputationRep:
    What should I do to gain muscle then?

ReputationRep:
    high weight, low reps

aim for about 12 reps before you are too damn tired to lift anything...pause for 1 min, then do it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    if you want my advice, i'd delete this before imasillynarb comes and laughs you down
    He's talking about small dumbbells, not bench presses. That sounds go.

It depends if you're looking for stamina or strength... Some people train with heavy weights (heavy relative to their strength) and do few repetitions whereas some people prefer lighter weights and more repetitions.
    You'll actually see more physical difference by doing a lot of repetitions than doing heavy weights.

ReputationRep:
    Please reply.

ReputationRep:
    Doing 100 repetitions will not be increasing your muscle. You are looking to trigger hypertrophy which basically required higher weights and fewer repetitions. Increase the weights until you can only do about 15 repetitions. Also ensure you are doing the exercise correctly, if you are not then you won't be exercising the muscle at all.

It may be best to go to a gym and ask a trainer to advise you on an exercise plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    LOL, legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    If you do, what weight for each do you tend to use? I use 5kg per dumbbell and do about 100 - 200 lifts a day. Hope to get stronger.
    I'm sorry but the day that works is the day that the Pope buys 365 condoms.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, youre not gonna get stronger from doing that^^ basically.

As everyone has already said, youre aiming to cause hypertrophy, which comes from doing a heavy weight for a low amount of reps..thats all I can be arsed to say for now

ReputationRep:
    i only do 8 repz at bout 16kg on each arm dumbell, ne body extremely strong, what can uz lot bench an ****?

ReputationRep:
    Im on about a 70kg bench now, for 6-10 reps, I dont bench too often though...as Ive said before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Im on about a 70kg bench now, for 6-10 reps, I dont bench too often though...as Ive said before
    I used to do sets of 70, until I broke my collarbone.

ReputationRep:
    Talking about collarbones, my collarbone joint ( where it meets near my neck ) is clicking quite a lot. grrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Talking about collarbones, my collarbone joint ( where it meets near my neck ) is clicking quite a lot. grrr
    Cod liver oil!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I used to do sets of 70, until I broke my collarbone.
    ...70 was my working set last time I did benchpress, no doubt next time ill be doing 75..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    ...70 was my working set last time I did benchpress, no doubt next time ill be doing 75..
    I'll be lucky to do just the bar when I get back to the gym! The joys of rehabilitation!

ReputationRep:
    LOL, im doin 20kg easy and about 20 reps! np

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s43)
    LOL, im doin 20kg easy and about 20 reps! np
    Thats nice, whats that got to do with how much muscle you have?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.