can we do more logical less binary poll questions please?

Watch
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I have been getting a bit annoyed by the poll questions on the side for quite some time, and thought I would raise the issue.

Often they are very binary questions which do not take into account the nuanced nature of the issue.

For example today's question asks which is more important more time or more money.

Well surely that depends how much money we are talking about in the first place. I am more traditional I want to be able to earn enough to provide for my future family of my own salary alone to have a good quality of life for me and my future family. I am obviously not against my future partner working if that is their desire but I don't want them to have to work.

Now it is hard to say how much I desire to earn because this will all depend on the area I eventually settle in and unpredictable future circumstances which include my own and macro economic events.

However beyond a certain point a higher salary really is not important. For example I assume if I was earning £120,000 a year that this would easily be enough. It would not be worth sacrificing free time which could be me or family time or etc, to earn say £200,000.

If however I was earning £30,000 a year trying to provide for a whole family of this alone would not be sufficient and I could justify sacrificing more time to net £40,000 a year. these figures are been made up of the cuff and might vary etc but you get the idea.

If people want to dispute in depth then why even work why not have all the free time in the world with no money? or if you chose money been more important why not work 80-100 hour weeks and have pretty much no time?

I just find the question today and on many other days way to binary when the answer is much more nuanced.

I have a target standard of life I want to achieve, up until that point I will justify more work to get their. Beyond that point I may even seek to cut back work, eg if I was fortunate enough in the future to earn £100,000 a year of just 16 hours a week why ever bother working more I am comfortable. I might even seek to reduce hours in that situation. If 60 hours a week won't net me more then £25000 then I will just have to suck it up and work 80 hours +.

I understand I wont be earning 25000 right away necessary however by the time babies start popping out of a future partner my salary needs to be higher.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want depth, a multiple choice poll is likely not going to be very useful, no matter how well thought out the responses are. And anyway, you can always join in the thread discussion itself after you've voted. :yes:
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's just a bit of fun... :erm:
Fox Corner
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Luke7456)
So I have been getting a bit annoyed by the poll questions on the side for quite some time, and thought I would raise the issue.

Often they are very binary questions which do not take into account the nuanced nature of the issue.

For example today's question asks which is more important more time or more money.

Well surely that depends how much money we are talking about in the first place. I am more traditional I want to be able to earn enough to provide for my future family of my own salary alone to have a good quality of life for me and my future family. I am obviously not against my future partner working if that is their desire but I don't want them to have to work.

Now it is hard to say how much I desire to earn because this will all depend on the area I eventually settle in and unpredictable future circumstances which include my own and macro economic events.

However beyond a certain point a higher salary really is not important. For example I assume if I was earning £120,000 a year that this would easily be enough. It would not be worth sacrificing free time which could be me or family time or etc, to earn say £200,000.

If however I was earning £30,000 a year trying to provide for a whole family of this alone would not be sufficient and I could justify sacrificing more time to net £40,000 a year. these figures are been made up of the cuff and might vary etc but you get the idea.

If people want to dispute in depth then why even work why not have all the free time in the world with no money? or if you chose money been more important why not work 80-100 hour weeks and have pretty much no time?

I just find the question today and on many other days way to binary when the answer is much more nuanced.

I have a target standard of life I want to achieve, up until that point I will justify more work to get their. Beyond that point I may even seek to cut back work, eg if I was fortunate enough in the future to earn £100,000 a year of just 16 hours a week why ever bother working more I am comfortable. I might even seek to reduce hours in that situation. If 60 hours a week won't net me more then £25000 then I will just have to suck it up and work 80 hours +.

I understand I wont be earning 25000 right away necessary however by the time babies start popping out of a future partner my salary needs to be higher.
You can always make polls and if we like them we'll feature them as the poll of the day. It's tricky because we can only put polls ith less than 6 options on the poll in the side.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
If you want depth, a multiple choice poll is likely not going to be very useful, no matter how well thought out the responses are. And anyway, you can always join in the thread discussion itself after you've voted. :yes:
on the right where the poll is it does not seem to have a link to any discussion forum.

I think it depends how you do it though, for example breaking this down into salary bracket would not be helpful because different people have different goals. Been autistic and having done research into autism and seen many examples I am well aware that decent active parenting can make a hugely significant difference. In many cases making the difference between a child never growing up to be independent or capable of much too the autism been barely noticeable them been highly intelligent and very successful.

Autism is a very misunderstood condition and also has many causes and factors beyond the scope of what I explained here, but what i have mentioned still makes a significant difference.

Since I am weak socially this will not be my ideal skill set so finding a women who could potentially significantly help my potential autistic child is a very dig and obviously they may not have the time for a full time or even part time job if In this situation.

I also want my future family to have a high quality of life none of this comes cheap so my salary ambitions will be significantly higher then a guy that never plans to have children and does not care about decent food or holidays etc.

So asking time if more then x or money if less then Y would not be adequate I accept that.

However the following could work

Time is always more important
Money is more important unless your already rich
Money until you earn enough to be comfortable
Time so long as you meet your basic needs
Time

we could all have different financial ambitions and standards but could easily decide attitudes within that.

(Original post by Fox Corner)
You can always make polls and if we like them we'll feature them as the poll of the day. It's tricky because we can only put polls ith less than 6 options on the poll in the side.
6 options would usually be fine.

I had five here as an example.

I understand you can't possibly equate for every single scenario or opinion but more thought out polls with more options can still capture a lot more of an issue then a Binary choice.

How do I create polls btw?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Luke7456)
on the right where the poll is it does not seem to have a link to any discussion forum.
The link appears after you vote and you can see the results (it will say "Now join the discussion".

But I think it's a fair request that the link could be there before you vote too... (Dez, Fox Corner)

Most of these polls are created by ordinary TSR members for their interest, not by staff or the support team. e.g. the Time : Money poll was created by an ordinary member.

To create your own Poll, you just start writing a new thread and there is an option to "Post a Poll" if you scroll down a bit on that page. If it becomes popular and/or is editorially interesting the CT may later decide to promote it in the "widget" on the right hand side.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads