Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Smoking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do you find it disturbing when people somke around you. Does the fact that people smoke disturb you?....Don't you ever wonder why people smoke, despite the fact that Smoking is the largest cause of preventable cancer deaths in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    In public (though not in bars and restaurants) I have found that English people tend to be the most considerate when smoking - it's a lot worse in the rest of Europe. As much as I don't like smoking, I do have to stick up for English smokers a little before the smoker-bashing ensues.

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it disturbing as such but I definetly don't like it - if you are in a public place then people who wish to smoke should move to somewhere where they don't have to stand by others (ie don't stand smoking in a bus stop). I think people should be free to smoke if they want to but they shouldn't be allowed to enflict the consequences on others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tobi_coker07_)
    do you find it disturbing when people somke around you. Does the fact that people smoke disturb you?....Don't you ever wonder why people smoke, despite the fact that Smoking is the largest cause of preventable cancer deaths in Britain?
    I don't think disturbing is the right word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    I don't think disturbing is the right word.
    so it doesn't disturb you even though they are killing themselves.

ReputationRep:
    people smoke because they are weak, much like people drink alcohol. It is an addiction, and is generally started when kids try to be "cool" and all grown up - so there is not only the physical addiction to break but the mental associations between when they do smoke and how it makes them feel - which is why its so hard to quit.

69% of british smokers want to quit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    people smoke because they are weak,
    lol

ReputationRep:
    so it doesn't disturb you even though they are killing themselves.
    I know what you mean but I still don't think that disturb is the right word. But anway yes I do find it strange that people still smoke - but it's their decision and some people just chose to ignore the fact that they are killing themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is the most disgusting habit. I would never have a partner who smoked. It's just pointless. The little white stick that you put in your mouth that kills you. Woo.

ReputationRep:
    i don't smoke, but i don't wonder why people do, and it doesn't "disturb" me. people smoke because it's sociable, because it makes them feel less shy, because it's something to have in common with others...the more non-smokers go on about it, the more it makes some smokers (ie my dad) kick their heels in - it's a personal decision. i don't want to, but i'm not going to tell people they shouldn't, just as i dont expect people who do smoke to tell me i should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Smoking is the most disgusting habit. I would never have a partner who smoked. It's just pointless. The little white stick that you put in your mouth that kills you. Woo.
    i agree. but i dont understand why people smoke, it doesnt benefit anyone in any way, it causes your teeth to become coloured;it makes your skin to wrinkle faster;contributes to heart dieseases and cancer;they lose one day of life every week;sperm counts gets lower(men);kills those around them-not that they care. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i agree. but i dont understand why people smoke, it doesnt benefit anyone in any way, it causes your teeth to become coloured;it makes your skin to wrinkle faster;contributes to heart dieseases and cancer;they lose one day of life every week;sperm counts gets lower(men);kills those aroun them-not that they care. :confused:
    All of these things are in the future, and for someone who is addicted they can only think about the next fix. Its not like they don't know the consequences, but mainly its the knowledge that if they give up the chances of further risk are greatly reduced.

If you're smoked for ten years, and give up in about 5 years time it will be as if you never really smoked. The effects are effectivly flushed out of your system.

ReputationRep:
    i agree. but i dont understand why people smoke, it doesnt benefit anyone in any way, it causes your teeth to become coloured;it makes your skin to wrinkle faster;contributes to heart dieseases and cancer;they lose one day of life every week;sperm counts gets lower(men);kills those around them-not that they care. :confused:
    When i was younger i used to go to my grandparents once a week and they smoked loads but because i was so young i didn't realise what it could be doing to me. So i was a passive smoker for about 11 years

ReputationRep:
    Here is my input to this thread .....

SMOKING IS WRONG

ReputationRep:
    lol, yes

SMOKING IS WRONG

i hate people smoking around me

i find it often ruins nights out because too much smoke gives me headaches..not good at a gig when somebody goes and stands infront of you smoking..grrrrr

ReputationRep:
    My mum reckons i won't have a decent social life later in life because i don't like smoky places :confused:

ReputationRep:
    When i smoke and i am out with my mates i always ask if they mind (the ones that don't) and try to keep the smoke away from them. Also if it bothers you when you dont know the person, tell them! If it was me I would move away. I also try to make sure when i am walking down the street that any children do not get hit by the lit end or inhale smoke given off, to achieve that i lift it to a level above their heads.

(Original post by SciFi25)
    When i smoke and i am out with my mates i always ask if they mind (the ones that don't) and try to keep the smoke away from them. Also if it bothers you when you dont know the person, tell them! If it was me I would move away. I also try to make sure when i am walking down the street that any children do not get hit by the lit end or inhale smoke given off, to achieve that i lift it to a level above their heads.
    i was having coffee with a friend the other day and he smokes but he was trying to be considerate and keep the smoke away from me which was nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    i was having coffee with a friend the other day and he smokes but he was trying to be considerate and keep the smoke away from me which was nice
    Lol! See not all smokers are inconsiderate. I just wish people woud let me know its bothering them rather than ***** and moan on forum threads like this one!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.