Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The title basically explains this post, a customer tried to punch me today.

I'm so shaken up over this. He leaned over the tills and tried to swing for my because his clothing item was too small. If my manager hadn't have jumped in front of me and grabbed his arm I would have been hit straight in the face. I have bad PTSD directly related to abuse so aggression\violence is my biggest trigger. My manager is very aware of this and was quick to jump in front of me and stop me being hit again, i'm pretty lucky tbh because he was willing to take a punch over it.

I just feel really weird and unsure about this now. I'm not scared, just on edge. I have work tomorrow and i'm sort of nervous for it just incase something goes wrong. I got sent home today because I was a bit of a wreck after (crying slightly, how embarrassing :ashamed2:) so that was pretty nice of them to let me have some time to get myself together. I don't know how I feel. I'm just worried now I guess, especially having had so much physical abuse in the past, it really gets you when things like this flare up.

Any advice on how to be a bit more confident for tomorrow would be great? It's only a 6 hour shift, i'd just like to get through it without jumping every time a customer speaks to me...
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The title basically explains this post, a customer tried to punch me today.

I'm so shaken up over this. He leaned over the tills and tried to swing for my because his clothing item was too small. If my manager hadn't have jumped in front of me and grabbed his arm I would have been hit straight in the face. I have bad PTSD directly related to abuse so aggression\violence is my biggest trigger. My manager is very aware of this and was quick to jump in front of me and stop me being hit again, i'm pretty lucky tbh because he was willing to take a punch over it.

I just feel really weird and unsure about this now. I'm not scared, just on edge. I have work tomorrow and i'm sort of nervous for it just incase something goes wrong. I got sent home today because I was a bit of a wreck after (crying slightly, how embarrassing :ashamed2:) so that was pretty nice of them to let me have some time to get myself together. I don't know how I feel. I'm just worried now I guess, especially having had so much physical abuse in the past, it really gets you when things like this flare up.

Any advice on how to be a bit more confident for tomorrow would be great? It's only a 6 hour shift, i'd just like to get through it without jumping every time a customer speaks to me...
Aw no, sorry to hear this has happened to you. Maybe take a sedative tomorrow, if you have any? Or have a small drink before work (just don't get drunk, of course!)?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you have bad PTSD, then going for a customer-facing job in retail isn't really a sensible choice, tbh. The great *****y British public are increasingly abusive and violent towards shop staff nowadays.
lulucoco98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey I hope your okay! The police should have been called, it is attempted assault!

You just have to think not all customers are like that idiot! It is normal to be a bit cut up though!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm normally so okay with this kind of stuff, moody customers don't really get to me. I think it's just the fact that he got violent that did it. I don't go to work to be threatened and punched at. My manager did call the police and the store has banned him, they were telling him he's lucky i've just turned 18 because if he'd have gone for a minor he'd be facing quite a hefty sentence apparently.

Thanks for all your replies though, they're helping loads!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (56)
24.89%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.33%
I'm sick of studying (45)
20%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.67%
I don't know enough about them (16)
7.11%