Tuition fee loan rejected but already started uni

Watch
Rmc90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello so I first started a course about five years ago. Completed the first year and started the second year but then had to leave because I failed something from my first year. So I left uni. Then a couple of years later I applied to go back to uni and according to the tuition fee loan calculator online I was entitled to all my loans. Including tuition fee loan. So I started uni but student finance kept on sending my application back for mistakes or to fill in a different form. I had completed a full term by the time I got my final letter. Which said I was not entitled to a tuition fee loan and I would have to pay the fee in full my myself.
This is the first year that the fees had gone up to £9k. I obviously couldnt pay this and had to leave. But then had to pay for my first term £3k. I didn't have the money and the debt was passed onto STA international- a student debt collection agency. I've been paying the debt at £10 a month but with probably a lot of interest. At the time I was young and didn't realise how bad this debt is. So I'm asking if anyone knows if there's absolutely any way to appeal this fee? I don't want to be paying this for years and years it's really annoying as I thought I was going to get the loan.
Thanks
john2054
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rmc90)
Hello so I first started a course about five years ago. Completed the first year and started the second year but then had to leave because I failed something from my first year. So I left uni. Then a couple of years later I applied to go back to uni and according to the tuition fee loan calculator online I was entitled to all my loans. Including tuition fee loan. So I started uni but student finance kept on sending my application back for mistakes or to fill in a different form. I had completed a full term by the time I got my final letter. Which said I was not entitled to a tuition fee loan and I would have to pay the fee in full my myself.
This is the first year that the fees had gone up to £9k. I obviously couldnt pay this and had to leave. But then had to pay for my first term £3k. I didn't have the money and the debt was passed onto STA international- a student debt collection agency. I've been paying the debt at £10 a month but with probably a lot of interest. At the time I was young and didn't realise how bad this debt is. So I'm asking if anyone knows if there's absolutely any way to appeal this fee? I don't want to be paying this for years and years it's really annoying as I thought I was going to get the loan.
Thanks
Get your dad to pay it off...
habeas.corpus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think you'll be able to appeal the debt. I don't see any wrongdoing by the Student Finance here. You began uni on the assumption that you would be entitled to your loan, when this in fact wasn't the case. You should have taken further steps to ascertain this during the process. Just because you thought you were entitled to something doesnt mean that you are or that your debt should be written off.

I suggest you approach a free legal advice centre (many law school faculties offer this) or CAB. They will able to advise you further and see if you can appeal the debt.
Rmc90
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by john2054)
Get your dad to pay it off...
Lol 😴
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rmc90)
according to the tuition fee loan calculator online I was entitled to all my loans.
The online calculator takes no account of previous years of study which might disqualify you from part or all of the funding for a new course. It has nowhere for you to enter previous study and assumes before you start using it, that you have established that you are entitled to the full amount. It's a shame that you didn't notice this, but it's not Student Finance's fault.

I've been paying the debt at £10 a month but with probably a lot of interest. At the time I was young and didn't realise how bad this debt is. So I'm asking if anyone knows if there's absolutely any way to appeal this fee? I don't want to be paying this for years and years it's really annoying as I thought I was going to get the loan.
There's no grounds for appeal, I'm afraid. The SF terms and conditions are readily available and the onus is on you to understand them. From the age of 18 you are considered legally competent to sign a contract, so your age is irrelevant. When taking on any kind of debt, it's up to you to make sure that you understand the implications of what you're taking on.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rmc90)
Thanks
If youd have asked on here then you would have been told you were unlikely to get the loan for this year.What was the reason you failed first year? Was there any medical condition or family crisis ? If so you can try and put in a compelling reasons claim. You should have been careful and filled out your forms correctly. I'm not sure what your exact timleline is.

If you can't then its just a debt and you will have to pay it off over time. Dod you go and see your advisor in the SU?
username1516651
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't think you really have any grounds for a appealing the debt sadly but depending on the circumstances you will probably be able to settle the debt for a lot less than the actual amount left to pay.

If they have sold it to STA, STA will have paid a very discounted rate for it. probably a few pence in the pound, and will settle with you for a lot less* than the actual amount owed. Google "full and final settlement" , save up (I know how hard that is) and offer them a reasonable but really low ball offer and see if they bite. It has been documented that debt collectors will accept 25% or LESS of the actual amount so it's worth looking into.

*Probably, Seek further advice.
susiehc
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If anyone is still around on this thread - I would really appreciate some help. I am in a similar situation (rejected loan - but not due to failing, due to unknown knowledge that I couldn't take out a loan for an equivalent qualification to what I already have - foundation degree - my first was privately funded by my employer) but I haven't actually started my studies yet - teaching term begins 19/10 this year...but the
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.1%
I'm not sure (59)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (650)
49.28%

Watched Threads