What was life like in the 90s? Watch

thisistian
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've heard people say how they're nostalgic for the 90's and how they "miss those years so much", so it must have been, in some way, better than the more recent years. I was born in 1999, so obviously I don't know what it was like back then... How does the 90's differ from mid-early 2000's?
A321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People had real lives.

Oh oh and watching things on those big chunky tapes lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
- More time spent outside, playing football
- If you wanted a song for free your best option was waiting next to the radio ready to press record
- Pop music was ****ing terrible

The Internet has really changed everything. It's very noticeable.
A321
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
- If you wanted a song for free your best option was waiting next to the radio ready to press record
Lol we have so many radio tapes sitting in the attic that have songs recorded from the radio. Life was simpler.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Girls shopped in Tammy

No camera phones back then so you had to use a disposable camera and then cringe when you took them into get developed

You circled everything you wanted for Christmas in the Argos catalogue instead of putting them on your Amazon wishlist like now

Freddos were only 10p. Those were the days :cry2:
thisistian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
You circled everything you wanted for Christmas in the Argos catalogue
That sounds more indulging than just clicking away on a computer :rolleyes:
When I have kids I'll make them do everything the old-fashioned way
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The nineties was a decade of quite rapid change. I'd imagine the early part of it was not too dissimilar to the eighties, whereas the bits that I remember from the late nineties would be quite recognisable today.

The key difference is the rise of the internet, and social media in particular, and the fact that now most people have their own little personal computer with a phone, SMS, camera etc. We still had gaming, PCs etc back then, but the vast majority of people who had the internet would have used dial-up. If you wanted to phone your friends, you'd have to phone their house most likely.

I think that young people in particular were more prone to playing outside. I remember I used to play football outside for hours. I don't see so many kids playing on the street now. However, I think there is probably less vandalism now, and probably less smoking and drug taking amongst the youth, too. I think that young people today are probably a bit more interested in their future from a younger age than they used to be. It's probably more acceptable to be an academic type now than it was back then, and to do well in school.

Overall I would say most things have improved since then. A bit of nostalgia is all well and good (I'm actually currently listening to the soundtrack of a big 90s PC game - the original C&C) but I think that going back would be, well, a step back.
Lolly75
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I hated the 90's. Left high school, fell in love, got dumped (took 6 years to get over it) got a qualification, worked, had a breakdown, went back to work, hated my life in general. The naughties weren't much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kernel_Coder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
*Please excuse spelling/grammar I'm writing this on a tablet*

It was a far more 'individual' time when widespread Internet use had not yet occurred. Imagination was required to a far greater extent than it is now. Video games required difficulty, creativity and an addictive nature to be entertaining. As others have mentioned, the pace of technological change through the the decade has never been matched. It was a very exciting time to be growing up.

My weekends in the nineties consisted of playing Super Nintendo/GameBoy/Nintendo 64 and watching my collection of VHS tapes. You had to do far more with much less back then. The idea of having a handful of games and tapes to watch seems ridiculous now, but I actually believe that the limitations fuelled imagination and creativity.

There was far more belief in mainstream media, and 4/5 Tv channels depending upon your area dominated entertainment. After school you looked forward to watching TV or using Windows 95/98. Simply using a computer in the early part of the decade required basic programming proffiency.

By far the biggest change has been the loss of individuality. People spend hours now considering decisions which would have just been made in seconds in the 90s. The electronics of the time (and to an extend the 80s) shaped my lifetime love of programming and electrical engineering. I love the 90s to bits.

We have more information now, but as a consequence we are also more careful and less adventurous than we were back then IMO.
thisistian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
The key difference is the rise of the internet, and social media in particular

I think that young people in particular were more prone to playing outside. I remember I used to play football outside for hours. I don't see so many kids playing on the street now.
Yep, it seems that kids nowadays are spending a lot of their time indoors instead of playing outside with their friends. Perhaps they've been lured by technology. It's a shame, really, because as they get older they won't have so many opportunities play outside...
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People looking back on it fondly were mostly kids, when everything 'serious' was done for them. Life was easy, so they think it was better.
thisistian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kernel_Coder)
*Please excuse spelling/grammar I'm writing this on a tablet*

It was a far more 'individual' time when widespread Internet use had not yet occurred. Imagination was required to a far greater extent than it is now. Video games required difficulty, creativity and an addictive nature to be entertaining. As others have mentioned, the pace of technological change through the the decade has never been matched. It was a very exciting time to be growing up.

My weekends in the nineties consisted of playing Super Nintendo/GameBoy/Nintendo 64 and watching my collection of VHS tapes. You had to do far more with much less back then. The idea of having a handful of games and tapes to watch seems ridiculous now, but I actually believe that the limitations fuelled imagination and creativity.

There was far more belief in mainstream media, and 4/5 Tv channels depending upon your area dominated entertainment. After school you looked forward to watching TV or using Windows 95/98. Simply using a computer in the early part of the decade required basic programming proffiency.

By far the biggest change has been the loss of individuality. People spend hours now considering decisions which would have just been made in seconds in the 90s. The electronics of the time (and to an extend the 80s) shaped my lifetime love of programming and electrical engineering. I love the 90s to bits.

We have more information now, but as a consequence we are also more careful and less adventurous than we were back then IMO.
Thanks for that. I'm glad you've found a rewarding career
Kernel_Coder
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
People looking back on it fondly were mostly kids, when everything 'serious' was done for them. Life was easy, so they think it was better.
To an extent I would agree with that, however there was less competition for jobs, living standards, and wages were rising at a much faster rate than today. Of course in many ways the 90's were worse. Healthcare, for example, was far less advanced.

It was easier for a younger person to acquire a house (in the south east) in the 90's. The economy in the western world was far stronger in the 90's than today. This is especially true for the UK, just look at the exchange rate. You could do far more with your money/investments in the 90's than you could today IMO.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Interesting what people say about technology. l was living with a married couple and their two young children in Paris in 1987. He had his own computer company. He often tried to teach me the basics but I had no interest really. I remember so well him saying one day, everyone who was reasonably well off, would have a computer in their own home within a few years. I thought he was mad. Fast forward and he has invented lots of computer "things" and has taken out lots of patents. He is mentioned on a Wikipedia page, as one of the things he invented was a version of 5:1 Surround Sound, which he installed in the sound cabin at the Moulin Rouge, where both me and his wife were dancers. Today he' a millionaire several times over.
yungaheartz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Better music
No selfie obsession
No duck lips
Pkeenan..1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The difference between now and then is we're so much more dependent on electronics for a number of things. Things were more tangible then IE, you wanted to get somewhere you'd follow an a-z, you developed good interpersonal skills, as most things were done in person/ over the phone etc.. shopping was done physically, booking holidays you'd have to go to a travel agent/teletext etc.. reading the news you'd have to get a newspaper, photos were done disposable. Internet was in it's really early stages, you were lucky to have a family computer. No social media at all, so more privacy. I think there's pros and cons to every generation, but music, tv and comedy was of much better quality. I remember phones were starting to come into there own and it was used simply for a phone. As I've grew up, phones started to get cameras, music on them, (you'd use infrared with a friend to transfer music) then with internet and now smart phones. Kids would be more adventurous and active as there was very limited electronical distractions. TV shows I remember, Sabrina the teenage witch, Art attack/CITV, SMTV live, Live & kicking, blind date. I think the positives about today is that being gay is so much more easier, people are more educated and accepting then back then i.e. Gay marriage.
Tigerbalm
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Less smoking and drug taking? Are you kidding me? The 90s were the decade of rave culture and no one dances to techno when they're straight believe me
Kernel_Coder
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tigerbalm)
Less smoking and drug taking? Are you kidding me? The 90s were the decade of rave culture and no one dances to techno when they're straight believe me
Haha, I actually thought this would be the case (I have 2 older brothers from the 70's and 80's who were teens in the 90's), but statistically, the 90's teenagers/young people didn't drink as much as millennial's do now. They did smoke more (tobacco) though. Apparently the 90's teens didn't do as much drugs (across all categories) as millennial's do.

You can see drug use throughout the generations here: https://drugabuse.com/featured/drug-...s-generations/

Fun-fact (which I will try and source soon): Average IQ scores of young people in the 90's exceed the IQ scores of the equivalent age range in the 10's... Probably something to do with people needing to do mental tasks less frequently due to technology. Kind of sad really, and quite alarming for future Dementia/Alzheimer's chances...
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im not to sure i think everything was still black and white back then
Tigerbalm
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kernel_Coder)
Haha, I actually thought this would be the case (I have 2 older brothers from the 70's and 80's who were teens in the 90's), but statistically, the 90's teenagers/young people didn't drink as much as millennial's do now. They did smoke more (tobacco) though. Apparently the 90's teens didn't do as much drugs (across all categories) as millennial's do.

You can see drug use throughout the generations here: https://drugabuse.com/featured/drug-...s-generations/

Fun-fact (which I will try and source soon): Average IQ scores of young people in the 90's exceed the IQ scores of the equivalent age range in the 10's... Probably something to do with people needing to do mental tasks less frequently due to technology. Kind of sad really, and quite alarming for future Dementia/Alzheimer's chances...
Isn't this US data?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (46)
18.47%
Labour (103)
41.37%
Liberal Democrats (50)
20.08%
Green Party (15)
6.02%
Brexit Party (7)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
2.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)