The Student Room Group

Is ANYONE on OCR Psychology?

I'm really really struggling with A2 Psychology for OCR, but it seems that absolutely nobody is on this exam board (most are on AQA) so it's incredibly difficult to find help. I'm talking about OCRs new spec in particular but anyone on the old spec your help would be greatly appreciated!
If anyone is on, or USED to be on the exam board, please let me know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I'm really really struggling with A2 Psychology for OCR, but it seems that absolutely nobody is on this exam board (most are on AQA) so it's incredibly difficult to find help. I'm talking about OCRs new spec in particular but anyone on the old spec your help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm doing OCR Psychology (on my second year). I didn't do AS-level, because the spec changed - so doing A2 level and taking the papers in June 2017. All my friends at other colleges are doing the AQA board as well. OCR doesn't seem too popular. What are you struggling with most?
im in the exact same situation!!!! struggling to find any help for exam technique or any decent websites/textbooks :frown:
Original post by jsansome
I'm doing OCR Psychology (on my second year). I didn't do AS-level, because the spec changed - so doing A2 level and taking the papers in June 2017. All my friends at other colleges are doing the AQA board as well. OCR doesn't seem too popular. What are you struggling with most?

Original post by ilovethe1975
im in the exact same situation!!!! struggling to find any help for exam technique or any decent websites/textbooks :frown:

Thanks for your replies, guys! It's so bad that I am having to resort to ordering new textbooks for OCR Psych because there are no all-around good ones! AQA has lots. Jsansome, it's mainly just exam technique. I'm finding it so hard, because in 3/4 mark questions, for example, I can write so much but only gain 1-2 marks even if my answer is correct. I feel that there is some sort of Point Evidence Explanation routine for some of these questions but my teachers are so bad with exam technique and so subjective with it (in that, they only correct it SOME of the time).

Ilovethe1975, At the moment I'm thinking of buying the 'OCR Psychology for A Level Book 1' book from Amazon (blue one), because I cannot fail this year.
Do any of you have any resources at all that you could possibly share?:smile:
Okay so im revising chemistry at the moment but I have a good booklet on all the percpectives, issues and debates if you are struggling with that then i can see if i can link it into here somehow!! as for exam technique, one of my teachers has gone through ways in which to answer the Options questions (child/criminal/sport etc..) and i can find the resource for that, its average, not amazingggg but it does help with structure. as for texbooks i currently use the butterfly ones which are okay, not amazing too but i really cannot find any other decent ones! let me know if you want that debate and exam technique resource!! more than happy to try and help :smile:

Thanks for your replies, guys! It's so bad that I am having to resort to ordering new textbooks for OCR Psych because there are no all-around good ones! AQA has lots. Jsansome, it's mainly just exam technique. I'm finding it so hard, because in 3/4 mark questions, for example, I can write so much but only gain 1-2 marks even if my answer is correct. I feel that there is some sort of Point Evidence Explanation routine for some of these questions but my teachers are so bad with exam technique and so subjective with it (in that, they only correct it SOME of the time).

Ilovethe1975, At the moment I'm thinking of buying the 'OCR Psychology for A Level Book 1' book from Amazon (blue one), because I cannot fail this year.
Reply 5

If you need any more help, feel free to send me a message.

PEEL works for me - Point, Elaborate, Example/Evidence and Link back to the question. Always make sure your answer refers to the question in some way. This applies to longer exam questions, the ones with more marks (like 10 or 15 marks), but also to 3 or 4 markers, too.

Make your point, expand upon that and then give an example and link it to what the question is asking. If you're talking about what Milgram's results were in his study, you would maybe give an example of the behaviour of people who resisted pushing the lever up, and how many did so, etc.

Bear in mind what the question is asking for. Identify key words in the questions. If a question says "Outline Milgram's study of obedience" then you only need to briefly explain what he did, not evaluate the experimental method. Look out for AO1, AO2 and AO3 answers, with reference to key words. 'Describe' or 'evaluate' ask you to do different things in your answers, so make sure you figure out what content is needed. In an evaluation, for example, you would need to talk about methodology...validity of research, reliability, ethical issues, sampling bias etc. Whereas with a description, there is no need to analyse the study's methodology.

My teacher gave me 3 OCR workbooks (for the 3 different components) that are really useful. Mostly, it has exam-style questions and puts the number of marks needed next to the questions. Also really useful is the fact that before each block of questions, there are a few paragraphs outlining the topic. The workbooks reference to the official OCR textbooks (you can read pages for more detail).

The 3 books are on Research Methods, Core Studies and Applied Psychology. Here are links to all 3. I would say it's definitely worth getting them, as they are really useful. They are £6 each.

You can get them on Amazon, or from Hodder's website (the publisher) https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/workbookanswers

I've put links to sample pages, so you can see the layout. Also I have included links to the workbook answers as well.

https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/Psychology/9781471845215-OCR-Psychology-Workbook.pdf

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Psychology-Level-Workbook-Component/dp/1471845206/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482156318&sr=1-9&keywords=ocr+psychology

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Psychology-Level-Workbook-Approaches/dp/1471845214/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482156318&sr=1-8&keywords=ocr+psychology

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Psychology-Level-Workbook-Environmental/dp/1471845222/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JQ678MDB2Q7DRKF0Z5MS

1. https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/PAWorkbooks/ALevelPsychology/Psychology_OCR_Research_Methods_Workbook_Answers.doc?ext=.doc

2. https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/PAWorkbooks/ALevelPsychology/Psychology_OCR_Psychological_themes_Workbook_Answers.doc?ext=.doc

3. https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/PAWorkbooks/ALevelPsychology/Psychology_OCR_Applied_psychology_Workbook_Answers.doc?ext=.doc
Have you guys started applied psychology? My teacher is still on the core studies. Can anyone tell me where they are at in terms of the content for A2 psychology
What topics are you guys doing now?

Reply 8
Original post by Salimo_1234
Have you guys started applied psychology? My teacher is still on the core studies. Can anyone tell me where they are at in terms of the content for A2 psychology

Yes, I started at the beginning of this year. I'm doing the issues in mental health component (compulsory), and Criminal and Child psychology components.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but if I'm on the right track...It depends on what kind of approach your teacher is taking, but my teacher did it like this:

1st year of studies: Core studies, methodological issues, introduction to applied psychology components (e.g mental health area), continuous revision.

2nd year of studies: Applied psychology, revision of core studies and methodological issues, practice exam questions/papers, continuous revision of everything. Syllabus to be completed by January 2017, and then going over everything.

To maximize time for revision, I'd say finishing the core studies in the 1st year of studies is best. I don't know if you're due to take the A2 exam this coming year (2017 series) or next year (2018 series).
Reply 9
What topics are you guys doing now?

In the October-December half of the term, my class did issues in mental health. In the first half of the term (September - October) we studied the Child psychology component. After Christmas, from January-February half term, we'll be doing the Criminal psychology.

Then everything is done and we'll be going over core studies again, firming up methodological issues, revising the key areas, perspectives & debates, and practicing exam questions. Basically just revising the whole specification until the exams in June.
Thanks for the reply, my teacher has been teaching us the new 10 core studies from September-now 😭. She is new and is not good at teaching so am teaching myself everything.

Would I be able to do all the other parts (child and criminal) before May and my own if I start them in January? Am concentrating on finishing all the core studies now.
Reply 11

OCR psychology here !
What topic are you on ?
Thanks for all the contributions to this thread guys! Makes me realise that I'm not alone in the OCR Psychology battle TT_TT
We have done the 10 AS core studies in Year 1 including research methods.
We finished the full 20 amount of core studies (AS+A2) in November 2016, and finished the Issues in Mental Health unit for Applied Psychology in November as well.

We are now on Criminal Psych (two topics in) and Child Psych (only on the first topic). We are going quite fast and the content is interesting enough to stick, but it's just exam technique that drops me marks considerably :/

Original post by jsansome
If you need any more help, feel free to send me a message.

PEEL works for me - Point, Elaborate, Example/Evidence and Link back to the question. Always make sure your answer refers to the question in some way. This applies to longer exam questions, the ones with more marks (like 10 or 15 marks), but also to 3 or 4 markers, too.

Make your point, expand upon that and then give an example and link it to what the question is asking. If you're talking about what Milgram's results were in his study, you would maybe give an example of the behaviour of people who resisted pushing the lever up, and how many did so, etc.

Bear in mind what the question is asking for. Identify key words in the questions. If a question says "Outline Milgram's study of obedience" then you only need to briefly explain what he did, not evaluate the experimental method. Look out for AO1, AO2 and AO3 answers, with reference to key words. 'Describe' or 'evaluate' ask you to do different things in your answers, so make sure you figure out what content is needed. In an evaluation, for example, you would need to talk about methodology...validity of research, reliability, ethical issues, sampling bias etc. Whereas with a description, there is no need to analyse the study's methodology.

My teacher gave me 3 OCR workbooks (for the 3 different components) that are really useful. Mostly, it has exam-style questions and puts the number of marks needed next to the questions. Also really useful is the fact that before each block of questions, there are a few paragraphs outlining the topic. The workbooks reference to the official OCR textbooks (you can read pages for more detail).

The 3 books are on Research Methods, Core Studies and Applied Psychology. Here are links to all 3. I would say it's definitely worth getting them, as they are really useful. They are £6 each.

You can get them on Amazon, or from Hodder's website (the publisher) https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/workbookanswers

I've put links to sample pages, so you can see the layout. Also I have included links to the workbook answers as well.

https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/Psychology/9781471845215-OCR-Psychology-Workbook.pdf

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Psychology-Level-Workbook-Component/dp/1471845206/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482156318&sr=1-9&keywords=ocr+psychology

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Psychology-Level-Workbook-Approaches/dp/1471845214/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482156318&sr=1-8&keywords=ocr+psychology

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Psychology-Level-Workbook-Environmental/dp/1471845222/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JQ678MDB2Q7DRKF0Z5MS

1. https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/PAWorkbooks/ALevelPsychology/Psychology_OCR_Research_Methods_Workbook_Answers.doc?ext=.doc

2. https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/PAWorkbooks/ALevelPsychology/Psychology_OCR_Psychological_themes_Workbook_Answers.doc?ext=.doc

3. https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/PAWorkbooks/ALevelPsychology/Psychology_OCR_Applied_psychology_Workbook_Answers.doc?ext=.doc

I actually have 2 of the workbooks you're talking about, but I haven't used them at all! I've gotta try them out this holiday! Thanks so much for those links. I'll try out the PEEL structure in practice questions this half term and tell you how it goes.

Thanks for the reply, my teacher has been teaching us the new 10 core studies from September-now 😭. She is new and is not good at teaching so am teaching myself everything.

Would I be able to do all the other parts (child and criminal) before May and my own if I start them in January? Am concentrating on finishing all the core studies now.

I really suggest you do. The content isn't too hard it just that there is quite a lot to it. And Applied Psych is one of those units that you think is quite short until you start revising for it :afraid: So deffo try and get a head and go through it from now! :biggrin:
How long do you spend lesson time on exam topic of criminal and child psychology. Last question what are You mainly revising for this chrismas holiday ?

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread guys! Makes me realise that I'm not alone in the OCR Psychology battle TT_TT
We have done the 10 AS core studies in Year 1 including research methods.
We finished the full 20 amount of core studies (AS+A2) in November 2016, and finished the Issues in Mental Health unit for Applied Psychology in November as well.

We are now on Criminal Psych (two topics in) and Child Psych (only on the first topic). We are going quite fast and the content is interesting enough to stick, but it's just exam technique that drops me marks considerably :/

I actually have 2 of the workbooks you're talking about, but I haven't used them at all! I've gotta try them out this holiday! Thanks so much for those links. I'll try out the PEEL structure in practice questions this half term and tell you how it goes.

I really suggest you do. The content isn't too hard it just that there is quite a lot to it. And Applied Psych is one of those units that you think is quite short until you start revising for it :afraid: So deffo try and get a head and go through it from now! :biggrin:
How long do you spend lesson time on exam topic of criminal and child psychology. Last question what are You mainly revising for this chrismas holiday ?

In terms of lesson time, for one topic of crime and deviance we spend around and a half lessons? 2 hrs in one lesson so 4.5 hrs in total.
This holiday I'm not doing too much for core studies. Mainly just applied psych. I'm going over exam technique this week whilst also going over some parts of Issues in Mental Health and Child Psych that I don't understand so that it won't be a problem next year. But overall I'm not really memorising anything too heavily!:smile:
i do this spec, anyone want to share notes?
Reply 16
Original post by Aliceimo
i do this spec, anyone want to share notes?

Hey! Yes I'm on OCR Psycholgy also! Drop me a message and I'll send you some of my revision :smile:
I've just remembered that I made this thread xD There is an active OCR Psych thread at this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4505566&p=71141878&page=4#post71141878
Original post by ilovethe1975
Okay so im revising chemistry at the moment but I have a good booklet on all the percpectives, issues and debates if you are struggling with that then i can see if i can link it into here somehow!! as for exam technique, one of my teachers has gone through ways in which to answer the Options questions (child/criminal/sport etc..) and i can find the resource for that, its average, not amazingggg but it does help with structure. as for texbooks i currently use the butterfly ones which are okay, not amazing too but i really cannot find any other decent ones! let me know if you want that debate and exam technique resource!! more than happy to try and help :smile:

do you still have these? im in the same boat and really struggling with technique and stuff
try malp tutors they have ocr resources that are good!

Quick Reply

Latest