Leviathas
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
When applying for software engineering/development jobs should I keep my CV/resume on 1 or 2 pages?
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Leviathas)
When applying for software engineering/development jobs should I keep my CV/resume on 1 or 2 pages?
Depends if you're writing a CV or a résumé.

In the UK you write a CV, which contains details on where you've worked and studied, a personal profile, list of skills, and information on hobbies. It should run to two pages of smartly-formatted prose combined with bullet-lists.

A résumé is a much more simple bullet-list of where you've worked, runs to about half a page to a page. It's limited to what skills you learned in what job.

Note: if you're looking for a dev job in the UK, make your CV really bloody good; there's barely any jobs and competition is very fierce.
Leviathas
Rep:
?
So should I keep it on 1 page or not?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So should I keep it on 1 page or not?
1 side of A4, unless you have 5 or more years of relevant professional experience, post graduation.
Leviathas
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
1 side of A4, unless you have 5 or more years of relevant professional experience, post graduation.
Oh that's good to hear since the employability team at my uni said that a 2 page cv is a must.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh that's good to hear since the employability team at my uni said that a 2 page cv is a must.
Rubbish, a 2 page CV is usually about 60% waffle and unnecessary formatting! You can put it up on the CV Help forum if you want proof.
jungle_ninja
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My latest CV had 15 years of experience condensed to a single page - although I've only had 4 jobs which makes that easier
The next version will probably finally be expanded to 2 pages.

If you haven't already you should set up a GitHub/GitLab/BitBucket account and upload some personal project work. Include a link on your CV so people can check out your code.

A simple Google search for "developer cv" yields tons of useful info - just be sure to apply it properly, don't just blindly follow everything the internet tells you
Milkround
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey there,

Check out the Milkround ultimate CV guide for some great CV tips!
http://advice.milkround.com/cv-writing-guide
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Milkround)
Hey there,

Check out the Milkround ultimate CV guide for some great CV tips!
http://advice.milkround.com/cv-writing-guide
Bit arrogant...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (23)
13.86%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (46)
27.71%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (68)
40.96%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (24)
14.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.01%

Watched Threads