Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to play the following games on Hallnet.

Counterstrike Source (and other HL2 Valve engine games)
    BF2 and 2142
    Guild Wars
    Use the Wii online

Or am I going cold turkey?

ReputationRep:
    I think so.

...If not I think i'm gonna switch uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think you can do some, if not all of those, but you will be breaking the AUPs... so just hope they don't find out.

ReputationRep:
    Really I only care about CSS and GW >_>

I'd probably try and find away around it but I heard the guy who works for Loughborough IT department reads these forums <_<

ReputationRep:
    Why not PM him then?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know his forum name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilesTails)
    I don't know his forum name.
    It's JonOakden

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to (I'm sure I remember people playing CS last year).

As for using the Wii online, you will have to register its MAC address with HallNet. There are some pages on the HallNet site for setting up XBoxes and PS2's, but I can't find the links...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilesTails)
    Is it possible to play the following games on Hallnet.

Counterstrike Source (and other HL2 Valve engine games)
    BF2 and 2142
    Guild Wars
    Use the Wii online
    Yes
    Yes
    Believe so
    Don't know

General ping of about 5-15.

ReputationRep:
    Sweet, thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Since the HallNet registration page lists consoles as well as types of computer, I would assume that it's possible to use them.
    I know of people who play all sorts of games on HallNet, but since the AUP technically doesn't allow you to do this, you shouldn't take it for granted.

.....And be nice to Jon Oakden :p: Out of interest, where did you hear that he's on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    On my floor...5 of us played BF1 and BF2 every day for like 2 weeks after our Semester 1 exams...we got proper hooked onto it...and I know a few of the guys played CS too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopymeg)
    .....And be nice to Jon Oakden :p: Out of interest, where did you hear that he's on TSR?
    Was reading around last year when I was applying for uni, I remembered from then, I saw a post similar to this asking about Hallnet.

ReputationRep:
    Who on earth is Jon Oakden?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Who on earth is Jon Oakden?
    :ditto:

Sounds familiar...but also sounds famous...but I'm doubting it's a celebrity..?

ReputationRep:
    the HallNet manager... lives on the 2nd floor of Haslegrave...

ReputationRep:
    I played cs for a while,inconsistent ping though,usually between 8 and 60 lol.
    And when it lagged,boy did it lag.

ReputationRep:
    If you're playing an online game then you can always tell when the busy network times are. Best to game from about 11pm to 8am

Wait, maybe thats where I went wrong :p:

As long as you don't disrupt Hallnet too much for those around you (like p2p users usually do) then there shouldn't really be a problem

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the lateness of my reply but its rather hectic for me at the moment
    Busy at work getting ready for everyone coming back and busy at home dealing with my new baby daughter

So, gaming on HallNet. Here is our position.

We don't go out of our way to stop gaming on HallNet. If a game doesn't work its probably because one of the necessary ports is blocked for some other security reason. You can ask us to try to get a game working if it doesn't. However, it will be a low priority for us to try and work out why it isn't working and make the changes to get it working so it may take some time to sort out.
    We also reserve the right to block a game if it causes problems for other HallNet users. This has never happened yet though.

Hope this helps?

(BTW, in answer to other posts in this thread, nope, I'm not famous (!) and I've now moved from the 2nd floor of Haslegrave to the ground floor)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.