I think its time to increase the tax on fuel

Watch
Anonymoùs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We havent had a fuel duty rise since Gordon Gormless was in charge. There is a thing about raising council tax to help pay for social care. Blx to that, raise fuel prices instead. Even a relatively small increase will raise revenue significantly.

Also with cars becoming ever more fuel efficient then this will offset the increased price. Also we need to discourage bad polluting stinkin cars aswell.
coldplasma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymoùs)
We havent had a fuel duty rise since Gordon Gormless was in charge. There is a thing about raising council tax to help pay for social care. Blx to that, raise fuel prices instead. Even a relatively small increase will raise revenue significantly.

Also with cars becoming ever more fuel efficient then this will offset the increased price. Also we need to discourage bad polluting stinkin cars aswell.
And what would your level of expertise on this subject be?
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, because the vast majority of the cost of fuel being tax simply isn't enough, 90%+ or GTFO.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Are you out of your mind? Fuel duty needs to be reduced not raised - have you seen how ridiculously expensive forecourt costs are these days?
Asolare
Report 4 years ago
Are you aware of how insanely expensive fuel is in the UK already?
Anonymoùs
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Are you aware of how insanely expensive fuel is in the UK already?
Its about £1.10 per litre aint it? Anyway I just think that rather than raising other taxes, they should just continue to fleece motorists. Easiest money for the government. We will always use our cars no matter what. At least I can choose when and how often to use my car so I have more control over paying such a tax. Other tax rises are like "**** you, we are havin your money anyway". Thats the way I see it.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You clearly don't drive or know that fuel duty is already over 50% (57.95p per litre, plus VAT on both the fuel and the duty). Tax at that rate is ********, especially when cars are also taxed (...at rates calculated on their fuel consumption, no less), so what would it achieve?

You might as well tax bus and rail tickets and impose additional duties on taxis - and maybe shoes (at rates calculated on their projected average lifespan).

**** all that.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At least I can choose when and how often to use my car so I have more control over paying such a tax.
Absolutely. Because no one uses a car to commute, or for work purposes, or any other non-optional usage.

Moron.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its about £1.10 per litre aint it? Anyway I just think that rather than raising other taxes, they should just continue to fleece motorists. Easiest money for the government. We will always use our cars no matter what. At least I can choose when and how often to use my car so I have more control over paying such a tax. Other tax rises are like "**** you, we are havin your money anyway". Thats the way I see it.
It always surprises me to witness the enormous scope of TSR's user base. From Ph.D. students at the world's top institutions to posts like these. Long may it continue.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cars are not the pollution problem they're made out to be. They're certainly not clean, but the real vehicles we should be hitting are ships, those things use up a stupid amount of fuel, not to mention that they use heavy fuel oil, which is FAR MORE polluting than petrol and diesel, both of which are heavily refined, unlike fuel oil. Not to mention that fumes from ships are virtually UNREGULATED.

Not to mention that fuel tax for petrol and diesel is stupidly ridiculous. Not only are we double taxed, but before tax, our fuel is some of the cheapest in the world, but after tax, is some of most expensive. We should be hitting the real problems rather than crying about cars, which yes, are still a part of pollution, but there are much bigger problems that aren't being dealt with.
SirMilkSheikh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Screw this. I think it's about time I found someone selling diesel on the black market, just to avoid these ridiculous tax costs.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
Absolutely. Because no one uses a car to commute, or for work purposes, or any other non-optional usage.

Moron.
Currently doing a 40 mile round trip commute daily. A tank of diesel (£60) lasts me two weeks, which is ~520 miles. £120/month on diesel is so much fun.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
They're certainly not clean, but the real vehicles we should be hitting are ships, those things use up a stupid amount of fuel, not to mention that they use heavy fuel oil, which is FAR MORE polluting than petrol and diesel, both of which are heavily refined, unlike fuel oil. Not to mention that fumes from ships are virtually UNREGULATED.
Well let's just look at these statements.
- Stupid amount of fuel? Big diesel engines are actually significantly more efficient than small engines. Car engines typically have a thermal efficiency around 20-30% at best, whereas marine diesels can be better than 50%.
- Sulphur content of heavy fuel oil is now much reduced, and technology such as saltwater exhaust scrubbing is being introduced to deal with NOx and particulates.
- Unregulated - MARPOL Annex VI? SECAs?

(Original post by Nuffles)
Currently doing a 40 mile round trip commute daily. A tank of diesel (£60) lasts me two weeks, which is ~520 miles. £120/month on diesel is so much fun.
I currently live on the side of a mountain, so I'm either on the brakes or the throttle the whole time. I'm getting 15mpg at best, sometimes down to 10mpg... fortunately not in the UK so fuel isn't toooo bad!
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cars are not the pollution problem they're made out to be. They're certainly not clean, but the real vehicles we should be hitting are ships, those things use up a stupid amount of fuel, not to mention that they use heavy fuel oil, which is FAR MORE polluting than petrol and diesel, both of which are heavily refined, unlike fuel oil. Not to mention that fumes from ships are virtually UNREGULATED.

Not to mention that fuel tax for petrol and diesel is stupidly ridiculous. Not only are we double taxed, but before tax, our fuel is some of the cheapest in the world, but after tax, is some of most expensive. We should be hitting the real problems rather than crying about cars, which yes, are still a part of pollution, but there are much bigger problems that aren't being dealt with.
Exactly!
Yet the government does nothing to encourage people out of cars. We have the most expensive public transport in the world, ridiculously expensive train fares.
We have the toughest rules regarding electric bikes. Even with a car licence you still have to pass a test to ride a tiny moped but people who passed the car test before 2001 don't have to pass a moped test.

The whole systems pushes people into their cars then they raise the tax and fuel duty.

Why don't they just ban people from venturing more than comfortable walking distance from their homes? Because one day we won't be able to afford to go any further!
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

And add to that the fact we have to pay to park on roads in most town centres despite the fact we pay road tax for all roads. And then of course we have to pay VAT on the price of parking. Motorists are robbed left right and centre!
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Excellent idea, we shall happily see an increase in prices of other essentials too like food and beer.

Oh yeah am sure you'd be delighted too when you find out your latest bus ride to the cave you're from will be costing more too.

Meanwhile I shall be enjoying my electric car at your expense
Big_Jon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Exactly!
Yet the government does nothing to encourage people out of cars. We have the most expensive public transport in the world, ridiculously expensive train fares.
We have the toughest rules regarding electric bikes. Even with a car licence you still have to pass a test to ride a tiny moped but people who passed the car test before 2001 don't have to pass a moped test.

The whole systems pushes people into their cars then they raise the tax and fuel duty.

Why don't they just ban people from venturing more than comfortable walking distance from their homes? Because one day we won't be able to afford to go any further!
You talk sense. One annoying thing I find these days is that they build factories and other places of work miles away from where people live. So you are forced to drive their, or use expensive public transport. I think they don't like them near houses for pollution and noise, but those things can be controlled.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.54%
No (166)
69.46%

Watched Threads