Can i get onto a nusring course with just a level 2 health and social?

Watch this thread
daniim1012
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, i'm currently a care worker in a nursing home. I'm studying my level 2 diploma in health and social. I was told recently i can get onto a nursing course with just a level 2. I have no GCSE's. Do i need to do the level 3 before applying for uni?
Any help would be great thanks.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by daniim1012)
Hi, i'm currently a care worker in a nursing home. I'm studying my level 2 diploma in health and social. I was told recently i can get onto a nursing course with just a level 2. I have no GCSE's. Do i need to do the level 3 before applying for uni?
I don't know of any higher level course which would admit you with no GCSEs and only a level 2 - maybe someone can be mored detailed for you in what exactly you need.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Almost all universities will require GCSE (or equivalent) maths and English at a specific grade.

You need to look at the entry requirements of universities you might be interested in. I would find it highly unlikely that a level 2 award would meet the requirements of any university, so you would need to consider a level 3 or access course - but again, always look at the specific requirements of the universities you want to apply to before committing to a course.
InArduisFouette
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
you will need numeracy and literacy at level 2
you will need to offer a suitable combination / weight of level 3 to get entry...

level 2 entry was in theory possible until the demise of diploma pre-reg however the reality was that the majority of students on diploma pre-reg had level 3 if not higher qualifications
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Nursing is very competitive, regardless of applications numbers reducing due to abolition of the bursary.
You will need gcse's in maths and English and ideally science.
Nursing is very science based. Lots of courses asking for a science based a level too.
You will need to do your gcse's and then an access course too.
Email the universities you're interested in applying to, explain your situation and see what they can advise you on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2926188
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You have to get a minimum of 5 gcses and A levels or Btec Health and Social care Level 3/Applied science lvl 3.
wbnurse
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
They don't accept level 2 for maths and English anymore....my uni doesn't and they said most universities won't now due to nmc requirements. GCSEs and at least level 3s needed usually. Level 3 at mainly distinctions also if doing access
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
No.

You need A levels or BTEC level 3
glassanimal
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You will need GCSEs at least in maths and english at grade C. You then could eathier do a Level 3 BTEC course or an access to higher education in 'health and socail care' or 'Access to Nursing and Midwifery/Science pathway'

Check uni admissions pages carefully for what modules you need to study, for example Nottingham uni says you need to have at least 60 credits from accademic modules.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...uirements.aspx
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
If you are a mature student( aged 21+) you don't necessarily need GCSE'S because universities will look at your experience and what you have gained from your previous employment status as opposed to your academic qualifications.

Alternatively, you could go to a further education college and do functional skills English and maths at level 2 which are meant to be equivalent to GCSE'S alongside the level 3 health and social care course as that is what you will need for university entrance. These qualifications are mainly aimed at mature students who have been out of education for a while.

Also, you could do an access to nursing course or the BTEC level 3 in applied science. You would need a foundation in biology at least.

I am currently doing the second year of my health and social care level 3 BTEC and can tell you that some of the units from your level 2 are the same as the level 3, if they have not changed the specification yet.

Edit: Hope it helps and good luck for the future for nursing.
ashleaclark
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You can do functional skills and get into university with English and maths level 2, but no university will accept you with a level 2 health and social, Level 2 Btecs are the equivalent of GCSE'S. You will need to do ether A levels, a level 3 or a access course, You should try and get some GCSES as well to give yourself a better chance, as not a great deal will just accept functional skills many require c's in english maths and science, or related subjects
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys!

Just a reminder to keep things friendly please. We are all professionals and are all here because we want to help others into the career that we love - obviously we all are passionate and have strong opinions but we need to support each other.

Any further non-constructive posts will be removed to keep things useful and relevant.

daniim1012
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all. I didnt't think you could after the 2 but thought i would ask.
normani
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have 4 GCSEs in all grades Cs, one single science but biology isn't included, will I need a biology GSCEs to get into nursing?
Marina_w
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi, i know its 3years ago forums, did you go to nursing in the end after nvq2? Im in the same position at the moment
Lydia743
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately you need 112 UCAS points to study Nursing at University level. The level 2 certificate will not be enough. You need a level 3 Btec D* or higher
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads