The Student Room Group

Predict the Grade Boundaries for English AQA 9-1 2017

Can any of you guys predict the grade boundaries for English AQA 9-1 2017 please?

I just want to see how would you guys set it out and it based on your opinions.

Scroll to see replies

65 = 9, 60 = 8, 56 = 7, 52 = 6, 48 = 5, 42 = 4, 36 = 3, 30 = 2, 24 = 1

That's my guess.
Original post by BobBobson

That's my guess.

Since a bit high but okay.
It should in percentages so if you gain the following percentage of marks then u get that grade:
90% grade 9
80% grade 8
70% grade 7
60% grade 6
50% grade 5
40% grade 4
30% grade 3
20% grade 2
10% grade 1

There was a practice exam paper I done and it was out of 80 and the grade boundaries were as follows:
72-9
64-8
56-7
48-6
40-5
32-4
24-3
16-2
08-1
Original post by Snowystar
It should in percentages so if you gain the following percentage of marks then u get that grade:
90% grade 9
80% grade 8
70% grade 7
60% grade 6
50% grade 5
40% grade 4
30% grade 3
20% grade 2
10% grade 1

There was a practice exam paper I done and it was out of 80 and the grade boundaries were as follows:
72-9
64-8
56-7
48-6
40-5
32-4
24-3
16-2
08-1

That is false and that's not how grading works. That practice paper was obviously marked wrong then.
That is false and that's not how grading works. That practice paper was obviously marked wrong then.

I kind of agree with you!
Anymore?
Reply 7

That's my guess.

What paper are you predicting this would be the case on? I did a mock language paper 2 and got 71/80, what do you guess that would be if it was the real thing?
My teacher showed us the English language grade boundaries by ofqual :
54 marks is a 5
67 (roughly ) is a 6
79.2 (I think the point 2 is silly but...) Is a 9
Original post by e2014
What paper are you predicting this would be the case on? I did a mock language paper 2 and got 71/80, what do you guess that would be if it was the real thing?

Definitely a grade 8, we got our mocks along with the boundaries today
Original post by Snowystar
90% grade 9
80% grade 8
70% grade 7
60% grade 6
50% grade 5
40% grade 4
30% grade 3
20% grade 2
10% grade 1

72-9
64-8
56-7
48-6
40-5
32-4
24-3
16-2
08-1

Check the ofqual website, grade boundaries are WAY higher
Original post by TheSpeedyz
Can any of you guys predict the grade boundaries for English AQA 9-1 2017 please?

I just want to see how would you guys set it out and it based on your opinions.

stumbled across this thread. basically every comment is wrong lmao, the grading depends on what we get.
they decide 8's from the top 50% all the grade 7 papers. the top 20% of all the grade 7 papers are 9's :smile:
Original post by childishgambin0
stumbled across this thread. basically every comment is wrong lmao, the grading depends on what we get.
they decide 8's from the top 50% all the grade 7 papers. the top 20% of all the grade 7 papers are 9's :smile:

We're all aware of that, we are just trying to "predict" how everyone will do.
Original post by JammieDodger27
We're all aware of that, we are just trying to "predict" how everyone will do.

yeah but it's unpredictable really
Original post by Maryamxoxo
Definitely a grade 8, we got our mocks along with the boundaries today

10-20 marks off full marks would most likely be a grade 7-9 tbh
Reply 15
Original post by hydrodash
10-20 marks off full marks would most likely be a grade 7-9 tbh

What do you think 71/80 would be?
Original post by e2014
What do you think 71/80 would be?

Most likely a grade 9 due to the fact its easier to lose marks in English compared to Maths because of grammar or different opinions of examiners. Obviously excellent work will be awarded the marks but for the final piece of the exam, (the 40 markers) sometimes that probably where markers may be extra harsh since there isnt required or mandatory key language such as Juxtaposition,contrast nor are you evaluating.

Also if that doesnt make you think 71/80 is a grade 9, UMS are calculated weirdly (not sure entirely how) but in science for example, there's 80 UMS marks but the total is 60 in RAW marks, and grades have been calculated depending on UMS.

So 71 should basically get you a high UMS (This is if the exam board still use UMS to decide grades, but i think they still do)
Ofqual released a statement saying the percentage of people to get a 7 or above this year will be roughly the same as percentage who got an A or above last year. This means that the boundary for a 7 will be around the same as an A was last year (maybe lower due to the increased difficulty of the new exams) so I'd say the boundary for a 7 will be between 45-55 which seems quite low but, given the boundary for an A last year was 47/80, it makes sense. Most schools have been setting the boundaries really high because if it turns out that the actual boundaries shoot up the students won't be as disappointed with their actual result. Also, the government are going to want to make it look like students get better grades with the new style GCSEs so they will probably increase boundaries in every subject other than english and maths and then lower them in the new GCSEs to make it look like they work and that it was a good decision to make. Don't take my word for it though because I could be completely wrong.
Original post by HollyBicks
Ofqual released a statement saying the percentage of people to get a 7 or above this year will be roughly the same as percentage who got an A or above last year. This means that the boundary for a 7 will be around the same as an A was last year (maybe lower due to the increased difficulty of the new exams) so I'd say the boundary for a 7 will be between 45-55 which seems quite low but, given the boundary for an A last year was 47/80, it makes sense. Most schools have been setting the boundaries really high because if it turns out that the actual boundaries shoot up the students won't be as disappointed with their actual result. Also, the government are going to want to make it look like students get better grades with the new style GCSEs so they will probably increase boundaries in every subject other than english and maths and then lower them in the new GCSEs to make it look like they work and that it was a good decision to make. Don't take my word for it though because I could be completely wrong.

I think this theory is pretty sound. What we were told by our teachers was that they would make the specimen papers hard so that the education department would think there is a change, however when it comes to the real exams they'll make the papers easier.
i do Edexcel but i think the idea is the same
i think somewhere above 85% would be a 9
73% would be an 8
65% or something around that would be a 7
50% for a 6
40 for a 5
and 35% for a 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending