The Student Room Group

Is China ruining football with their money power and offering obscene wages?

What you reckon with the money clubs in China are prepared to spend to get top players over, is it killing football or will the financial bubble burst?

What amazed me is Shanghai are prepared to pay £52million for Oscar who hasn't played for three months for Chelsea possibly getting as much as £400,000 a week!!!.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-transfer-news-oscar-china-move-shanghai-sipg-truth-revealed-stunned-epl-news-table-a7477666.html

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it's getting annoying that they are just taking the good players and artificially trying to bring all of them there when there's no exciting football going on there. No one really watches their football outside of China and it's pretty boring compared to the Premier League or Bundesliga.
With that kind of money, most players would hard to say no. The vast majority of players will be going for the big bucks and for a career that lasts 10-15 years on average, they will want to maximise the money they can make. On a professional level, they know that the quality is poor and chance of winning big trophies are over.
Reply 3
Original post by Rock Fan
What you reckon with the money clubs in China are prepared to spend to get top players over, is it killing football or will the financial bubble burst?

What amazed me is Shanghai are prepared to pay £52million for Oscar who hasn't played for three months for Chelsea possibly getting as much as £400,000 a week!!!.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-transfer-news-oscar-china-move-shanghai-sipg-truth-revealed-stunned-epl-news-table-a7477666.html
Are you ****ing kidding. Football's like that in the West already. **** fire.
Original post by Ladbants
Yeah it's getting annoying that they are just taking the good players and artificially trying to bring all of them there when there's no exciting football going on there. No one really watches their football outside of China and it's pretty boring compared to the Premier League or Bundesliga.

The government have said they want to win the World Cup by 2050, surely be impossible with the way they are doing things at the minute. Usually most players near the end of their careers have a swansong out in the MLS.
Let's be honest though, how else are leagues outside of Europe ever going to get big players (and thus a better and potentiallly more marketable league). I guess Europe can't hold the monopoly of having the best players forever.
Original post by Lord Samosa
Let's be honest though, how else are leagues outside of Europe ever going to get big players (and thus a better and potentiallly more marketable league). I guess Europe can't hold the monopoly of having the best players forever.

Producing them would be a start :confused:
This is only what the Premier League has been doing to football in Belgium, Norway, Holland and even France since its inception: buying up its talent with money the domestic clubs couldn't possibly rival. There's an element of biter bit in the griping.

But oddly this is likely going to benefit the Premier League still further, since this is much the best known foreign league in China and the Chinese are about brand-shopping.

Oscar who hasn't played for Chelsea for 3 months goes for £52m, Chelsea makes 4 buys in Europe at £13m apiece. Now the Chinese wouldn't have bought these 4, and not just because they couldn't scout them. They want to pay the premier league premium because "bought from Chelsea“ means something to a largely uninformed Chinese public while "bought from Standard Liege" does not.
Think Hulk has gone to China as well.
You don't see the spirit and love around teams often anymore. Not like what my dad tells me about the 1980s era.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Producing them would be a start :confused:

Same could be said to England :wink:
Original post by Lord Samosa
Same could be said to England :wink:

bants but you did say Europe first.
Original post by Wilfred Little
bants but you did say Europe first.

The UK hasn't triggered article 50 yet to leave Europe and become a continent by itself.

Spoiler

The irony of the OP.
Chelsea manager has come out and said the spending in China is a danger to all.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38345426
Reply 15
Football is already ruined with money. Its the same **** week in and week out. I got sick of it years ago.
Original post by Ladbants
Yeah it's getting annoying that they are just taking the good players.

Like who? A quick google search and the most recognisable players currently in China are Hulk, Teixiera, Ramires, Demba Ba, Lavezzi, Gervinho, Martinez & Asamoah Gyan. All I see in that list is a load of players nearing the end of their career, who are quite rightly looking for one last big payday. No different to the MLS.

The only exception is Teixeira, and Oscar if he joins, but neither of them will have been on the radar of the top sides in Europe. No serious player with ambition is going to move there. I'm not remotely concerned.
Original post by whtyl
Football is already ruined with money. Its the same **** week in and week out. I got sick of it years ago.

Because obviously free flowing passing and technical ability with different teams rising to power is much more boring compared with the old days of 4-4-2, the same teams winning everything and Alan Shearer throwing his elbows and getting away with it.
What's ironic about the Chinese league's money - spinning is that it would make China's national team another England. One that never qualifies for the World Cup and only makes the QF of the Asian Cup at best. If China are serious about becoming a footballing superpower then their best players should be playing in continental Europe as that's where the best coaches of the game live
Original post by Rock Fan
Chelsea manager has come out and said the spending in China is a danger to all.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38345426

Chelsea :biggrin:

The last club who can moan about this.

Quick Reply

Latest