The Student Room Group

Want to rent own place

So I am 18 and currently live with my Mum. Rather than go to college or Uni I have chosen to take a full time job and work my way up company. I earn roughly just over a grand a month though I am about £300 a month for a car though that includes insurance.

I've decided that I want to get my own place but everywhere good seems too expensive. The places I could afford are really cramped and then there is the cost of council tax, electric and so on. I'm just completely clueless on what I should do. Any advice?
Original post by oZombiex2
So I am 18 and currently live with my Mum. Rather than go to college or Uni I have chosen to take a full time job and work my way up company. I earn roughly just over a grand a month though I am about £300 a month for a car though that includes insurance.

I've decided that I want to get my own place but everywhere good seems too expensive. The places I could afford are really cramped and then there is the cost of council tax, electric and so on. I'm just completely clueless on what I should do. Any advice?

Work out your budget properly including transport, food and bills. Work out what you have left and whether you are willing to spend that on renting. You can either afford:

A room
Ensuite room
Bedsit
Studio
One bed flat.

That is increasing level of expense. rents are dependent where you live. look on the usual renatl sites spare room etc. I doubt you cna afford more than a room in a shared house. You may also need a 4-6 week deposit and a months rent. Best idea is to wait and save, so if you wnat to bypass sharing then go for a bedsit or studio when you can afford it.
To me if you're making £1000 a month (you're not clear how much exactly) and £300 is already gone on your car you're going to be really tight on funds if you move out. Your best bet would probably be a professional house share but depending on your location you're probably still looking at £400 a month at least for this. Council tax and other bills will add up quickly. And yeah, you're not going to be able to live somewhere very nice. Honestly I would stay at your parents place for now and get some proper savings together, when you get a few promotions it will be much easier to afford something.
Original post by doodle_333
To me if you're making £1000 a month (you're not clear how much exactly) and £300 is already gone on your car you're going to be really tight on funds if you move out. Your best bet would probably be a professional house share but depending on your location you're probably still looking at £400 a month at least for this. Council tax and other bills will add up quickly. And yeah, you're not going to be able to live somewhere very nice. Honestly I would stay at your parents place for now and get some proper savings together, when you get a few promotions it will be much easier to afford something.

Agree with this.

It's amazing how quickly bills add up. Depending on the place you get, it's at least going to be another £100 a month for bills. With rent of £ 400 and car of £300, that would only leave you £50 a week before you have eaten anything. That is not doable.

There is no "right" way to spend your money. However, to me it is crazy to spend 1/3 of your income on transport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending