Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i did saxophone for 5 years and reached grade 4. i stopped when i started doing A-levels. 3 years later i'm goingto uni (took a gap year) and i have only realised now that it was something i should have continued. i want to get to grade 6 at least but i not sure if i should do grade 5. my question is, in the situation i am in, how long would it take me to get to grade 5 or grade 6 on saxophone?

The answer is going to be different depending on the individual. You could start by looking at some Grade 5 pieces and deciding whether they will be within your musical and technical reach? If not, perhaps go back to easier pieces to redevelop your ear and technique, and then work up to learning the Grade 5 pieces?

ReputationRep:
    malakian452,
    if i were in your shoes i would definately have a go at grade 5. the difference between grade 4 and 5 isnt really that great, thus you are in a good position to get a the grade 5 qualification whilst covering familiar ground whilst not having to learn that much more in order to prepare yourself for the exam. im in a similar situation. i took grade 5 sax nearly 2 years ago and now am working towards grade 8 jazz saxophone. basically i think as long as you prepare yourself well for the exam, then there is no reason why you shouldnt have a go at a grade which you feel sutes your ability, and having passed grade 4, im sure that youll have the ability to pass grade 5. good luck

ReputationRep:
    i took my grade 5 exam after less than a year of playing and im doing my grade 6 in easter so its different for anyone, i was at an advantage playing the piano, i foyund the sax really easy compared to the piano

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoosey)
    i took my grade 5 exam after less than a year of playing and im doing my grade 6 in easter so its different for anyone, i was at an advantage playing the piano, i foyund the sax really easy compared to the piano
    i was a pianist before taking up the saxophone..amen to that! i think if you can play one instrument well you have good potential to take to them all! I remember the joy of being reduced to only one line of music with the sax lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.