HELP! dont know which exam to resit!

Watch
LevK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm trying to book an exam with a private examination centre as an external candidate, so I can get my C grade for GCSE maths. Problem is, I dont know which module or unit to take. And now after learning that the grade system changed, it makes all the more confusing than before.. I haven't done my GCSEs in 5+ years and I want to sit 1 maths exam to get a C (exams cost £99 each GCSE), however I'm not sure if its possible or not...
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can no longer simply resit one of the papers in order to boost your grade. (Maths is no longer modular, so they aren't called modules). For example, if you want to do the Mathematics GCSE with the Pearson Edexcel board (the most popular one). You enter for the qualification "GCSE (9-1) in Mathematics" whose exam code is "1MA1". You also have to decide if you want to do the foundation paper or the higher paper. If you do foundation, it's easier, but you can't get any higher than a 5 (the equivalent of a high C - the new 'good pass'). If you do Higher, it's harder, but you can get the higher grades (from 4-9). Higher numbers are higher grades. If you want to do Higher, you enter for the following papers: 1MA1/1H, 1MA1/2H, 1MA1/3H. If you want to do Foundation, you need to do: 1MA1/1F, 1MA1/2F, 1MA1/3F.
LevK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by BobBobson)
You can no longer simply resit one of the papers in order to boost your grade. (Maths is no longer modular, so they aren't called modules). For example, if you want to do the Mathematics GCSE with the Pearson Edexcel board (the most popular one). You enter for the qualification "GCSE (9-1) in Mathematics" whose exam code is "1MA1". You also have to decide if you want to do the foundation paper or the higher paper. If you do foundation, it's easier, but you can't get any higher than a 5 (the equivalent of a high C - the new 'good pass'. If you do Higher, it's harder, but you can get the higher grades (from 4-9). Higher numbers are higher grades. If you want to do Higher, you enter for the following papers: 1MA1/1H, 1MA1/2H, 1MA1/3H. If you want to do Foundation, you need to do: 1MA1/1F, 1MA1/2F, 1MA1/3F.
Ok so if I enter for the GCSE 9-1 Higher, do I need to pay for each specific papers (1H,2H,3H)? Does this count as 3 exams? Or do I just mention "GCSE 9-1 higher) and I'm good to go? I am planning on doing Pearson edexcel. Also, which tier is easier to get a C grade or grade 5 in your opinion?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LevK)
I'm trying to book an exam with a private examination centre as an external candidate, so I can get my C grade for GCSE maths. Problem is, I dont know which module or unit to take. And now after learning that the grade system changed, it makes all the more confusing than before.. I haven't done my GCSEs in 5+ years and I want to sit 1 maths exam to get a C (exams cost £99 each GCSE), however I'm not sure if its possible or not...
In addition to the good advice from BobBobson above you could also consider resitting the old linear specification exams (A*-G) which, if your centre chooses to offer them, are available for resit candidates in summer 2017. It comprises 2 papers and does not include the new more challenging content that features in the 9-1 specification. If you previously studied the higher content and were close to a C last time around I'd suggest do higher. If not and you are teaching yourself I'd recommend foundation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.28%
Unhappy (53)
28.04%
Conflicted (92)
48.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed