Independent School Bias

Watch this thread
Blenkk
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
One of my friends recently started a campaign which highlighted that pupils who attend State schools are at a disadvantage in their GCSE exams compared to those who attend Independent schools. The reason for this was because state students only have the option to do 100% exams for their English GCSE, whereas Independent school students had the choice of doing 40% Coursework and 60% exams.

Another point he made was that, Students from Independent schools could have the option to sit their exams in either January or June, unlike State school pupils who have no choice but to sit them in May/June. Now anyone who has done their GCSE's will know that taking some exams early can be extremely beneficial as it allows you to revise in greater depth for the remaining exams, which are already crammed into a tight schedule.

As well as the points previously raised, he also explained that the Actual examination is also set to be different and advantageous for Independent school students as they are provided with both anthology poems to compare in the the actual exam, while State schools are expected to memorize the poems with one given from within the anthology, making it simpler for those from independent schools; furthermore, if they DO choose paper 2 (I.e. 100% examinations), they will be given the text for the novel or play (e.g. An Inspector calls) hence providing an advantage, even if they are doing 100% exams.

This raises the question of why State schools are put at such a disadvantage during exams, compared to Independent schools? Despite this we all know that Private schools often do produce better results, but that is down to a better level of teaching, higher levels of discipline and better learning resources. However if this is the case, why should the exams be made easier for the pupils who have access to a higher level of education, if anything it should be harder. Overall i think that all students should be on a equal level of examination, as the results State students receive may raise the idea that we aren't as intelligent as those who attend Independent schools.

What's your opinion?

If you agree with this, i recommend that you go to the petition page and sign it for yourself as my friend has taken a lot of his time to write this petition on behalf of everyone:

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliame...-no_src-no_msg
ohgodwhatamidoin
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blenkk)
One of my friends recently started a campaign which highlighted that pupils who attend State schools are at a disadvantage in their GCSE exams compared to those who attend Independent schools. The reason for this was because state students only have the option to do 100% exams for their English GCSE, whereas Independent school students had the choice of doing 40% Coursework and 60% exams.

Another point he made was that, Students from Independent schools could have the option to sit their exams in either January or June, unlike State school pupils who have no choice but to sit them in May/June. Now anyone who has done their GCSE's will know that taking some exams early can be extremely beneficial as it allows you to revise in greater depth for the remaining exams, which are already crammed into a tight schedule.

As well as the points previously raised, he also explained that the Actual examination is also set to be different and advantageous for Independent school students as they are provided with both anthology poems to compare in the the actual exam, while State schools are expected to memorize the poems with one given from within the anthology, making it simpler for those from independent schools; furthermore, if they DO choose paper 2 (I.e. 100% examinations), they will be given the text for the novel or play (e.g. An Inspector calls) hence providing an advantage, even if they are doing 100% exams.

This raises the question of why State schools are put at such a disadvantage during exams, compared to Independent schools? Despite this we all know that Private schools often do produce better results, but that is down to a better level of teaching, higher levels of discipline and better learning resources. However if this is the case, why should the exams be made easier for the pupils who have access to a higher level of education, if anything it should be harder. Overall i think that all students should be on a equal level of examination, as the results State students receive may raise the idea that we aren't as intelligent as those who attend Independent schools.

What's your opinion?

If you agree with this, i recommend that you go to the petition page and sign it for yourself as my friend has taken a lot of his time to write this petition on behalf of everyone:

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliame...-no_src-no_msg
I went to a state school and had all of these 'biases'. It just depends on your school and exam boards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (20)
16.81%
The paper was reasonable (57)
47.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
26.05%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
9.24%

Watched Threads