The Student Room Group

Any advice on a-level choices???

My application for A-Level choices at my school has to be in in 2 days and I'm still not sure what I want to do... I've basically narrowed it down to politics, psychology, chemistry, music technology, art and maybe R.S. (I may do art AS instead of the full 2 years) but does anybody who does any of these subjects have any information that could be helpful? (3 specific questions - how interesting are chemistry, politics and psychology as individual subjects?) Much appreciated :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you want to do at uni?
Original post by Welshstig
What do you want to do at uni?

Honestly I don't really know, I enjoy debating so maybe something to do with that.. I like the prospect of law or philosophy as well (music and art I may do as careers but wouldn't study at uni)
In that case, I'd do Maths, English Lit or Lang, History and politics/sociology/psychology, that'd be the optimum combination (if you're wondering why I said maths, it's because it shows you can think more abstractly and critically, allows you to analyse and etc...).

Out of your options, I would do Politics, Psychology and Chemistry (only if you are very good at it). But to be honest, it's not really a great combination, especially since getting into law can be very competitive.

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

In the link above, Cambridge basically says that Psychology and Politics are not very well respected in comparison to other A-levels and hence your application will be weaker.

I do Chemistry at A-Level, its very interesting, but it's still a lot studying and revision and etc. I have a friend who does Politics who is enjoying it very much so. So that take that as you will.
Thank you so much! I'll probably end up doing Politics, Chemistry, Music Tech and Art AS (My school isn't offering the usual AS to A2 course, we're just jumping straight into three A-Levels but Art's offering AS so I'll probably do that) I enjoy music and art but I think politics and chemistry would be good to have and I like them as well. Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest