MRose14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Good morning everyone,

my name is Marlena, I'm a 19 year-old girl from Salzburg, Austria and after finishing school in June I would like to study International Business Management in the UK. I've applied to University of Leicester, University of Manchester, University of Lancaster, University of Stirling and University of Strathclyde and have received conditional offers frolm the first two so far.

Since the whole university thing here in Austria is really different form the one in the UK, I do have a few questions and would be glad if anyone has some answers for me!

- Is it a bad sign that I've not hered back form my other 3 choices or does this just mean that they are waiting until the application deadline is over?

- What do you think about the 5 unis mentioned above? Of course I did look at different ratings before applying but is there anything else I should know about them?

- How does the whole student accomodation thing work in the UK? I've spent 11th grade in the US as an exchange student and know that the freshman there live in dorms... is it the same in the UK?

Thank you so much in advance for ansering my questions! Greetings from Austria, Marlena
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MRose14)
Good morning everyone,

my name is Marlena, I'm a 19 year-old girl from Salzburg, Austria and after finishing school in June I would like to study International Business Management in the UK. I've applied to University of Leicester, University of Manchester, University of Lancaster, University of Stirling and University of Strathclyde and have received conditional offers frolm the first two so far.

Since the whole university thing here in Austria is really different form the one in the UK, I do have a few questions and would be glad if anyone has some answers for me!

- Is it a bad sign that I've not hered back form my other 3 choices or does this just mean that they are waiting until the application deadline is over?

- What do you think about the 5 unis mentioned above? Of course I did look at different ratings before applying but is there anything else I should know about them?

- How does the whole student accomodation thing work in the UK? I've spent 11th grade in the US as an exchange student and know that the freshman there live in dorms... is it the same in the UK?

Thank you so much in advance for ansering my questions! Greetings from Austria, Marlena
No it's not a bad sigh it d be normal not to hear back for a while. I don't know much about those unis but I know you won't be in dorms, it ll be most likely a single room in a flat where you share a kitchen.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All the universities in your list are very good and widely recognised. I would check if the Scottish university courses are 3 or 4 years long, most English courses are 3 years long except a sandwich course where you spend a year working in a job related to your degree.

I don't know if its a good or bad thing if some universities send their offers early or late.

I only know about Manchester University since I went there. Manchester University is in the middle of a large city while Lancaster is on the outskirts of a much smaller city. Likewise, the others on your list, 2 are in the middle of large cities and Stirling is in a small one. It depends if you like to live in a big city or a smaller one. Access to airports may also be a consideration if you want to travel back to Austria frequently.

Most universities have enough accomodation for first year students but some may not have enough accomodation for subsequent years and students would rent a house or flat with other students.
Omni Vanitas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MRose14)
Good morning everyone,

Hallo! I study in Salzburg!

Yes, as claireestelle said, it's normal to not have heard anything back from the university yet. As for accommodation, imo the UK is better although more expensive. You will probably have to spend something like 120 pounds per week on a single room and a shared kitchen (around 8 people).
Eleanor12345678
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry about not having heard back from some of the universities sometimes it can take months to hear anything. Universities don't have to have made a decision until May so it can take a while although you will have most likely heard before then.

As for the universities you're applying to Manchester and Leicester have good reputations although Leicester has quite expensive accommodation. i was going to apply to Leicester but the price of the accommodation as well as how far it was from the campus put me off. Lancaster is really good and I'm also applying there, the campus was amazing and the accommodation was ridiculously cheap and really nice. I don't know about Strathclyde or Stirling as I'm not applying to any Scottish unis so I can't really say anything about them but I've heard from friends they're good.

Accommodation varies depending on how much you're willing to pay but unless you ask you will get a room to yourself. You can pay extra for an en suite so you don't have to share a bathroom but you will still have to share a kitchen. You can even get studio flats if you can afford it where you have a kitchen and bathroom in your room although these are very expensive.
You will normally share a kitchen with 8-12 people and a bathroom with around 3-6 people but this varies depending on the accommodation you are looking at. If you look at the unis website then it should say the actual numbers with the information about the accommodation.

Hope that helped in some way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (127)
14.68%
I'm not sure (39)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (261)
30.17%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (416)
48.09%

Watched Threads