Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    On third thought, no it wasn't - but I'm doing natural sciences too (so I got confused, sorry!).

Ben
    Ok, you have given me mild schizophrenia... :-) Have you got your freshers pack yet? If you have and there was nothing about the parties let me know and I will tell you when/where they are. We are supposed to pass this on to anyone who missed out on the info. Which college are you?

I haven't got any pack yet - I'm in Christ's

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got any pack yet - I'm in Christ's

Ben
    Ok, well when you do there will hopefully be info on the parties. Roughly where are you in the uk? - there are parties all over the country with current undergrads and fellow freshers from your area.

Newcastle -and don't know anyone else going to cam this year!!!!! There should have been a few, but they declined their offers - crazy people!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle -and don't know anyone else going to cam this year!!!!! There should have been a few, but they declined their offers - crazy people!

Ben
    Ok, there's one in Newcastle upon Tyne... Why did your friends decline their offers? - That does seem mad!

(Original post by Haz)
    Ok, there's one in Newcastle upon Tyne... Why did your friends decline their offers? - That does seem mad!
    The main reason's are;

1) Not liking the area (unusual for Oxbridge)
    2) Not liking the Uni (also unusual)
    3) Misconceiving the people that study there (common with Oxbridge)
    4) Not wanting such a heavy workload (also quite common)

The main reason's are;

er...yeah. Actually, for them it was just plain laziness - they're taking 'gap' years. But by 'gap', I mean staying at home and doing nothing!!!

er...yeah. Actually, for them it was just plain laziness - they're taking 'gap' years. But by 'gap', I mean staying at home and doing nothing!!!
    That is ridiculous. I know we say "no one deserves an offer" but I think in some cases; people DON'T deserve offers!

ReputationRep:
    The main reason's are;

Wow, that's quite a sub-cultural clash! (sorry, anthropologist)

Why then, did they apply in the first place? What kind of school are you/ they from?

(Original post by Haz)

Why then, did they apply in the first place? What kind of school are you/ they from?
    Er... don't ask me. I am suggesting reasons. I applied and got an offer to do Maths at Trinity, but I failed to meet my offer (for numerous reasons, primarily bad AS results).

Nope, I'm quite new here and haven't posted much yet. Should really register.
    I actually did do more than 3 A2s, but considering that two of them were maths then I think doing maths and further maths is probably better than spending more time on single maths. Freshers parties... haven't even had a pack yet!

(Original post by Haz)
    Ah, are you the guy/gal who posted:

"Perhaps such compulsive achievers should slow down and enjoy their work a bit more - how are you supposed to develop the kind of passion Oxford/Cambridge want you to have for a subject when you spend so little time on each?"

If so, I couldn't agree more - 3 grades and a passion for ones subject has to be worth more than 6 A2s and no opportunity to discover the depths of one subject.

Out of interest, are you going to one of the freshers parties?

It's a state school - but quite an old one. The head of 6th form wasn't too happy when he heard that they had declined those offers!

Ben

I think they were more 'pushed' into applying, because they are quite good academically (praise for the school etc.)

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess)
    Hi,
    I was wondering how long a personal statement should be in terms of word count?
    Also, anyone hoping to be or already at cambridge for languages?
    Finally does anyone know anything about en-suite rooms at Cambridge esp. at Peterhouse College?
    J
    Just write as much as u can.

Im going to Peterhouse I think unless my french goes up a grade in which case i could go to christs after a gap year cant decide.

Peterhouse looks well nice, know what u mean tho the website isnt exactly overflowing with info on accom. apparently its got the nicest 1st year accom in cam tho so sounds good. u could ring/email?

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)

The might have applied to see if they could get in - thats sort of why I applied really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregisteredtoo)
    Nope, I'm quite new here and haven't posted much yet. Should really register.
    I actually did do more than 3 A2s, but considering that two of them were maths then I think doing maths and further maths is probably better than spending more time on single maths. Freshers parties... haven't even had a pack yet!
    What college will you be at? And what part of the uk are you from? I think a lot of Cam people on this forum could end up meeting eacher other at these parties!

ReputationRep:
    Good point, but it seems such a waste to have gone through the hassle and make such an achievement only to turn it down. I say shame on a school that puts students under that much pressure to go for Oxbridge even though they don't want to study there. They've lost sight of what their main objective should be - the welfare of their students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    Good point, but it seems such a waste to have gone through the hassle and make such an achievement only to turn it down. I say shame on a school that puts students under that much pressure to go for Oxbridge even though they don't want to study there. They've lost sight of what their main objective should be - the welfare of their students.
    It also means that other people who really want to go don't get an offer, as the offer they would have gotten up is taken by some1 who's not even considering going.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    It also means that other people who really want to go don't get an offer, as the offer they would have gotten up is taken by some1 who's not even considering going.

Phil
    Good point, worthy candidates with a genuine enthusiasm will have been turned down because them. That's sad/mad ening.

(Original post by Haz)
    Ok, you have given me mild schizophrenia... :-) Have you got your freshers pack yet? If you have and there was nothing about the parties let me know and I will tell you when/where they are. We are supposed to pass this on to anyone who missed out on the info. Which college are you?
    u are ****ing well fit.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.