Personal Statement and Cambridge Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)
It also means that other people who really want to go don't get an offer, as the offer they would have gotten up is taken by some1 who's not even considering going.

Phil
u are an ugly *******
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
u are ****ing well fit.
Is that relevant? Anyway, how would you know? (don't forget - for all that you know she could be a man).
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
u are an ugly *******
That's probably true.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Is that relevant? Anyway, how would you know? (don't forget - for all that you know she could be a man).
Trust me, I'm not in any way, shape or form, a man.
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My Personal statement's around 640 words - that's way too long isn't it?!

Arghhhh, I'm meant to be sending it off next week, too!
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)

Maybe not depending on how long your words are Assuming your doing a paper application and not an electronic one, you can test print your PS in word by setting page margins as shown here.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

my completed PS was 647 words but i used size 11 font, and used indents as paragraph marks (not a blank line)
*~Sarah~*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by edders)
my completed PS was 647 words but i used size 11 font, and used indents as paragraph marks (not a blank line)
That must only work on paper applications: I did mine on the website and the size of the font cannot be changed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Did you use my suggestions?
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Good point, worthy candidates with a genuine enthusiasm will have been turned down because them. That's sad/mad ening.
to some extent you could say if they were truly worthy candidates they would have got an offer. if someone good applies and gets an offer then turns it down i see notyhing wrong with that, even if it prevents a slightly worse candidate from getting an offer
not1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *~Sarah~*)
That must only work on paper applications: I did mine on the website and the size of the font cannot be changed.
yeah this is a paper app, printed onto a sticky form and stuck on
Unregistered8
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *~Sarah~*)
Do you mean the Cambridge form personal statement or UCAS? Cambridge form is only in paper version.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
to some extent you could say if they were truly worthy candidates they would have got an offer. if someone good applies and gets an offer then turns it down i see notyhing wrong with that, even if it prevents a slightly worse candidate from getting an offer
If they decide to turn it down for genuine reasons then fine but having no intention to take up a place is imo wrong. The thing is, there are often too many 'truely worthy' candidates for Cam to take - they make this point in the prospectus. So, even if there were others that were better than them, the candidate that missed out on a place could be absolutely good enough for Cambridge and may have greatly benefited from the experience. However, it is doubtful that a complete time waster would win a place, and even if they did I'm sure they would give it due consideration before turning it down.
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Did you use my suggestions?
Yeh. Well at least I did until my tutor chopped and changed bits. It sounds totally different now!!
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeh. Well at least I did until my tutor chopped and changed bits. It sounds totally different now!!
You must show it to me sometime! Good luck.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
are you applying for oxbridge or medicine?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi ben,

you are going to christs right? Im applying there this year - have u got any tips for personal statement/interview etc for getting in? Im a bit clueless - can you help?!

Alix
Kii
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I applied for university last year and deffered my entry as I wanted to take a gap year, unfortunately I did not get the grades I needed and therefore could not attend the uni and I have to apply again this year. My question is how should I write this in my personal statement this time?
saphenous
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
If they decide to turn it down for genuine reasons then fine but having no intention to take up a place is imo wrong. The thing is, there are often too many 'truely worthy' candidates for Cam to take - they make this point in the prospectus. So, even if there were others that were better than them, the candidate that missed out on a place could be absolutely good enough for Cambridge and may have greatly benefited from the experience. However, it is doubtful that a complete time waster would win a place, and even if they did I'm sure they would give it due consideration before turning it down.

Haz,
I got a note from my college in cambridge saying that they were going to decide whether or not to interview me. I thought all people applying to cambridge are interviewed. Whats going on with this?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by saphenous)
Haz,
I got a note from my college in cambridge saying that they were going to decide whether or not to interview me. I thought all people applying to cambridge are interviewed. Whats going on with this?
Haz is up at Cambridge and hasn't posted since she got there so perhaps it will be a while before she sees this. Not everybody who applies to Cambridge is interviewed, only those they consider can be made any offer. As Oxbridge is 'self selecting' this usually means that all who do apply are suitably qualified and will be given an interview. Another thing is that if you live abroad they may not ask you to attend for interview but will use some other selection process. There have been changes for entry in 2004 from 2003 (e.g. asking applicants for their UMS on AS levels - they have never made offers from taking AS results into account before, plus introducing BMAT for medicine.) Why not ring them and ask?
P.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%