Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone please explain in simple terms about the Nernst Equation - i.e. what it is/shows and how to use it.

I also have to devise an investigation around it for my Chemistry A level investigation and so any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erased Citizen)
    Could anyone please explain in simple terms about the Nernst Equation - i.e. what it is/shows and how to use it.

I also have to devise an investigation around it for my Chemistry A level investigation and so any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Thanks!
    I dont know much about it, but i have a spreadsheet which calculates it! (which hasnt attatched!)

ReputationRep:
    I've found some websites, but they could all be written in Japanese for all I understand. I also need ideas for an investigation - havent a clue what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erased Citizen)
    I've found some websites, but they could all be written in Japanese for all I understand. I also need ideas for an investigation - havent a clue what to do.
    Wouldnt it be a better idea to do an investigation on sumthing you have a basic idea on then?

ReputationRep:
    The Nernst Equation is the bane of my life... it's also an equation showing the membrane potential (in volts: the inside relative to the outside) required to keep the concentrations of a particular type of ion different on the inside and outside of a cell. ie if you have an ion with a charge of +1 and ten times as high a concentration of that ion inside the cell as outside it, you'd need an Em (membrane potential) of -58mV to keep it that way.

Sorry if this isn't explained very clearly - I hate the Nernst Equation...

edit: PS the equation itself is (having looked it up) Em = 58/z.log[X]o/[X]i

[X]o = concentration of X OUTSIDE the cell
    [X]i = conc of X INSIDE the cell
    z = charge on X

ReputationRep:
    But of course the Em = 58/z log etc equation only works at room temperature and pressure. Otherwise it's Em = RT/zF ln[X]o/[x]i

ReputationRep:
    Whoops, yeah, forgot that (we only ever used 58/z!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Whoops, yeah, forgot that (we only ever used 58/z!)
    They threw that at us in our Physiology practical exam. Meanies.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch Harsh!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Ouch Harsh!
    Yeah, I truly despised that exam, but I hated all of my Physiology exams. Didn't do too badly in them though

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.