Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi
    does anyone know what date freshers week starts thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well Sunday 23rd September is officially the first day when registration takes place and its listed as 'Fresher's Day' on the accommodation letter I got from them so then I should imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why term ends so late? Why do they want to keep us there until the 21st Dec?

ReputationRep:
    The uni year has changed from this current year. No more 'reading weeks'. We finish late for Christmas and go back later I believe. We then loose a week at Easter, so only 2 weeks off here instead of the 3. We finish earlier for summer.

Each semester last year was 12 weeks long, we'd go for Christmas on the 10th week, then come back and most lecturers would not teach anything, or little for the next 2 weeks.... We also, only have 6 modules now taught across the year, whilst in the past we had 8 modules in total, with 4 being taught in each semester.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the new system. I want my semesters, I want my reading weeks and I don't want to finish early. These past two summers have been hell and I don't want an even longer one next year.

ReputationRep:
    Where can l find a list of term dates? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris815)
    The uni year has changed from this current year. No more 'reading weeks'. We finish late for Christmas and go back later I believe. We then loose a week at Easter, so only 2 weeks off here instead of the 3. We finish earlier for summer.

Each semester last year was 12 weeks long, we'd go for Christmas on the 10th week, then come back and most lecturers would not teach anything, or little for the next 2 weeks.... We also, only have 6 modules now taught across the year, whilst in the past we had 8 modules in total, with 4 being taught in each semester.
    So I'm going to be taught less, and asked to stay longer?

ReputationRep:
    Not quite, each module has an extra 12 weeks worth of content added to it, so you're being taught more in each module (choose modules you think you'll enjoy). With 2 reading weeks and a week at Easter missing, we finish 3 weeks earlier.

Term dates, I'm not sure where you can get them from... think you may have to wait till the timetables are published.

ReputationRep:
    I know they're on ibis but I don't think they're on the site

ReputationRep:
    i got sent them this morning im assuming the first week is just freshers week though.

Autumn Term: 24th Sept - 21st Dec
    Spring Term: 14th Jan - 14th March
    Summer Term: 31st March - 27th June

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

That's awful though. Autumn term is nearly 3 months, winter only 2, summer probably less than 2 because of exams! Diminishing terms Why can't they make the xmas holiday start a week earlier and end a week sooner?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pissed off about losing the reading weeks. It's my 21st in Feb and I was planning on going to New York to celebrate with my mum, who will also turn 50 then, during that reading week but I can't now.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that a lot of lecturers were going to suspend teaching the week reading week would have been anyway...an 'unofficial reading week'. Will there still be lots of weeks off around jan exam time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris815)
    Not quite, each module has an extra 12 weeks worth of content added to it, so you're being taught more in each module (choose modules you think you'll enjoy). With 2 reading weeks and a week at Easter missing, we finish 3 weeks earlier.
    The semester ended in JULY last year?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup_dragon87)
    The semester ended in JULY last year?!
    :confused:

It was July by the time all exams, placements were over. How is it so shocking? I would personally love for the uni year to be longer. I hate the summer holidays they are far too long.

ReputationRep:
    This year just gone, all the exams finished by the 8th June. People l knew doing placements finished a week later.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Soz 'ard.

ReputationRep:
    I finished my course in may, so I could have gone home then if i'd wanted to. It all depends on exam/essay dates...but yah, placement ppl r there longer

ReputationRep:
    I would have stayed in Chester all summer if I could afford the rent.

ReputationRep:
    Might I ask... what's the deal with having to vacate your room (catered) at the end of term? Is there no way that you can stay there (actually paying your own way, perhaps)? 'cause from what I've read they seem to want you to totally clear out your room at the end of every term. I mean, what? do they have parties or something in all the rooms while you're gone, or what? 0_o

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 9, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.