Should I take a gap year and try for cambridge?

Watch
DanielSmith1999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I got rejected from oxford for a joint school history course

I have an offer from the 3rd best ranked uni the uk this year for history according to THE and the Guardian

If I were to do better than very well at A2. E.e 2/3a* and an A or 4a* (lol not gonna happen)

Should I take a gap year and apply for Archaeology at Cambridge?

The only thing stopping me from doing this and working to save for uni etc is that the cost of tuition fees will go from £4.5kish to £9.25k a year. (wales) so I'd borrow £27k for three instead of £18k for 4 in Scotland.

So my parents say no.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DanielSmith1999)

I have an offer from the 3rd best ranked uni the uk this year for history according to THE and the Guardian

If I were to do better than very well at A2. E.e 2/3a* and an A or 4a* (lol not gonna happen)

The only thing stopping me from doing this and working to save for uni etc is that the cost of tuition fees will go from £4.5kish to £9.25k a year. (wales) so I'd borrow £27k for three instead of £18k for 4 in Scotland.

So my parents say no.
You can spend your gap year working to offset the increased fees.

It's low risk, because you are likely to get offers again from your current universities.

If you exceed the typical offer (i.e. you get A*A*A for Archeology) then you can be a competitve Cambridge candidate.

So, if you really consider the course (and style of teaching) at Cambridge is right for you then sure, give it a shot.

BUT, there are plenty of excellent universities beyond Oxbridge.
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is nothing on TSR I advise less than taking a gap year to try to get into Oxbridge. How will you feel if you get rejected again? It's a very real possibility, even if you have perfect grades. You will have wasted an entire year of your life.

Read this, the story of someone who did what you are considering. http://thetab.com/2015/02/12/pain-re...ambridge-29984

I say just take your rejection in stride. You've got an offer from a great uni already. Don't throw that away.
username1258398
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
There is nothing on TSR I advise less than taking a gap year to try to get into Oxbridge. How will you feel if you get rejected again? It's a very real possibility, even if you have perfect grades. You will have wasted an entire year of your life.

Read this, the story of someone who did what you are considering. http://thetab.com/2015/02/12/pain-re...ambridge-29984

I say just take your rejection in stride. You've got an offer from a great uni already. Don't throw that away.
You won't have wasted a year of your life, especially if you get a job.

Also, if the reason he gave for the PM being the most powerful man in gov't is "he can fire anyone", I'm not surprised he was rejected. A good GCSE student could do better.
Sabz152
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wait did you get in for history or archaeology? Also what uni did u get accepted for?

So my parents say no.
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

So my parents say no.
I know what university you have an offer from, and I would say go there, UNLESS you do not want to study History any more. Firstly, it's best to be happy with your course.
Ayman!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Simple: if you're not happy with the schools you got accepted into right now, take a gap year and give Cambridge a shot.

A gap year is not a waste of a year.
username1628823
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really depends on what you're going to do in your gap year. If you're going to do nothing at all, then it's a waste of a year.

If you're going to get an internship or a job, it might be worthwhile. Travelling could also be cool, but it'd obviously depend on your financial situation.

See what you get this year, and decide from there.
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would say go for it if you get the grades, whats the rush to go through uni and get a job? theres not much difference in a 45 year working life and a 44 year working life
Iuris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on which subject you’d like to pursue – History and Archaeology are distinct disciplines despite their seemingly similarities. If it’s History, then accepting your current offer is pretty suggestible; if you like Archaeology (or ancient civilisations) better, then I’d recommend Leiden University (in the Netherlands):

According to QS Subject Ranking, Leiden’s Archaeology ranked 10th worldwide, and 7th in academic reputation. Its Faculty of Archaeology is the largest in continental Europe, and has many field schools all over the world. Besides, most Dutch people speak English very well (according to EF English Proficiency Index 2016), and Dutch universities offer much more guidance and tutorship than most European countries.

For practical concerns, the tuition of Dutch universities (for EU/EAA citizens, including UK) is less than £2K, and the application deadline for autumn entry is June 15.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (79)
37.8%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (14)
6.7%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
24.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (26)
12.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.66%

Watched Threads