The Student Room Group

Average daily expenses in London

Hi there,

I am going to move to London starting from October. I would like to ask how much you spend each day for food, transportation, other stuff...

I was budgeting an average of 25£/day (considering that friday evening will be more expensive than monday for example), what do you think?

Thanks for you attention!

Enrico

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
henryg1981
Hi there,

I am going to move to London starting from October. I would like to ask how much you spend each day for food, transportation, other stuff...

I was budgeting an average of 25£/day (considering that friday evening will be more expensive than monday for example), what do you think?

Thanks for you attention!

Enrico

Should be more than enough :smile:
Reply 2
£25 a day!? Im gonna be spending like £9 a day max! (£20 a week on food is enough)
Reply 3
£20 food, depends what you buy though, it would be more if you eat out a lot, or buy sandwiches every day, or eat in the dining hall every day.

Transport: if you live near College, £3-4 there-and-back for a night out, everything else you can walk to. If you're not near College (Piccadilly Court) £15/wk for unlimited travel to places you'd be interested in going to.

Going out: depends what you do. Cinema - £6-ish (not sure, I haven't been for ages). Pub - depends how long you stay, what/how much you drink, how nice/expensive it is. Anything from £5 (couple of pints at the Union, or at a cheap pub) up. Clubbing: £3-15 to get in (often around £5-8), drinks are usually more expensive (£3+, but clubs often have a special deal each night).

Less usual things: musicals/theatre etc: £12+, depends how good the seat is. Lots of museums in London are free (paid for by tax).

Staying in: free? Maybe buy drinks, cost depends what/how much you buy!

So clubbing once a week, food, staying in and doing something, plus say cinema might be £50 a week? £60? £70? I'm 99% guessing with that, I'm *really* bad with money and don't notice until I've spent it (then I only buy food!).
Reply 4
Note that College food outlets are obscenely expensive, even with the VAT discount!! The Union is quite a bit cheaper if you want hot food, but if you want very good and freshly made sandwiches, the Sandwich Shop on Gloucester Road (about a 5 minute walk from the Queen's Gate side of the SK campus) is the best available option! You can get a filled baguette there for less than £2 at lunch -- a very good deal.
Reply 5
awsome =D. I heard benji?? or some shop like that is good for sandwiches
LoZEr
awsome =D. I heard benji?? or some shop like that is good for sandwiches

Benji food is dreadful!!!
Reply 7
From what I remember, The Sandwich Shop's concept of hygiene is decidedly dodgy. But hey ho, you get what you pay for I guess. :smile:
nothing wrong with the sandwich shop, the bargain on campus is the baked potatoes from the SAF cafe. about 1.80 for a potato and all the delicious items from the salad bar you can squeeze into the polystyrene tray
fais
From what I remember, The Sandwich Shop's concept of hygiene is decidedly dodgy. But hey ho, you get what you pay for I guess. :smile:

what are u on about! I love the sadwhich shop! ... nice and cheap and oh so yummy... whatever dirt gets on the food only adds to their distinct flavour! :smile:
Reply 10
You should be looking at anywhere between £70-120 a week in London, excluding accommodation.
R.Gambino
You should be looking at anywhere between £70-120 a week in London, excluding accommodation.

sounds about right...

... don't know that many people on the 120 end tho... and I do know a few on the 60 side...
That sounds like waay too much...
Reply 13
wais
That sounds like waay too much...

Yeah. In 1st year I spent a lot of social-time in/around hall and spent less, I didn't go clubbing that often. I think I spent less than £50 a week in the first term since I didn't have much money — my parents had promised to give me money every week, but they didn't start until about December, and it was less than I thought it would be too. The other two terms I could spend a bit more.

In 2nd year I think I went out more, but did less overall (more work! Less work-free evenings). I spent money I earnt over the summer.

I got paid yesterday :biggrin: :biggrin: £1300 (before tax) from my industrial placement. Next term will probably be the most expensive for me ;-).
You'll be surprised how much you can spend in a week if you wanna have fun.
Reply 15
fonzievision
Benji food is dreadful!!!

lol fair enuf
Reply 16
You can do £30 a week and live quite well. At least, that's what I averaged. Just don't spend what you can't afford to spend. Whatever you do, _don't_ spend on credit cards and get yourself into big debt. You'll be regretting it for a long time after you graduate... longer if you don't graduate.
If you're ust gonna buy groceries, sit in halls and walk everywhere, then you wont spend much...

bt if u wanna see london... then that fun comes with a price!
Reply 18
Babyangel452
If you're ust gonna buy groceries, sit in halls and walk everywhere, then you wont spend much...

bt if u wanna see london... then that fun comes with a price!

Exactly.
You could go to Tesco or another good value store and spend about £10 for the week! Food is the main priority. Fun doesn't have to cost a lost when you're in London. Many of the museums and gallerys are for free. Just sighteeing and walking around the shops is pleasurable enough and costs nothing.

Latest

Trending

Trending