Dewpider
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys, just a little question about my iGCSE French Writing. For my French iGCSE I am aiming for an A*, but I need some advice for my worst out of the 4 exams, writing. I typically do well on listening, reading and oral (normally A*) but writing is just so hard for me. My grades for my past writings range from Bs to As and I want to make sure that I secure that A* so I have begun to address my issue with writing. It's just that when I sit down, I never know what to write. There's all these "A* grade items that you can incorporate into your writing" that my teacher is always talking about, but when I do the exam, my French becomes very basic and monotonous. Is there anything that you can suggest for me to do, in order to improve my writing for my mocks in January? (N.B. I just broke up for Christmas, so I cannot ask my teacher right now...) I would really, really appreciate some advice as a newcomer to TSR and I hope this post can also benefit those who suffer from a similar problem, especially those in the future Image I'm also taking German and all the same applies for it too...
Dewpider
Rep:
?
Bump! Please help, my exam is on Monday and I am desperate for help
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dewpider)
Hi guys, just a little question about my iGCSE French Writing. For my French iGCSE I am aiming for an A*, but I need some advice for my worst out of the 4 exams, writing. I typically do well on listening, reading and oral (normally A*) but writing is just so hard for me. My grades for my past writings range from Bs to As and I want to make sure that I secure that A* so I have begun to address my issue with writing. It's just that when I sit down, I never know what to write. There's all these "A* grade items that you can incorporate into your writing" that my teacher is always talking about, but when I do the exam, my French becomes very basic and monotonous. Is there anything that you can suggest for me to do, in order to improve my writing for my mocks in January? (N.B. I just broke up for Christmas, so I cannot ask my teacher right now...) I would really, really appreciate some advice as a newcomer to TSR and I hope this post can also benefit those who suffer from a similar problem, especially those in the future Image I'm also taking German and all the same applies for it too...
Hey there Dewpider,

Sorry nobody responded to you. I hope this isn't too late!

Writing is always the one I find trickiest, but I managed to get an A* in the GCSE (didn't take an IGCSE course), so perhaps I can help... I did notice my teacher would always be throwing us set sentences for our essays, they're useful, but not really a true portrayal of your ability. It's probably still worth picking a few that you like and memorising them before the exam comes along. The most important thing is to make sure what you're saying makes sense. Try and balance content with tenses/grammar and accuracy. The best thing to do is to draft an essay now, on any subject... learn some basic phrases...

There's a really useful resource on TSR written by @Ktln:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ting_exam_tips - this will explain how best to proceed. Definitely make sure you know a lot of handy verbs, go over your topics and have some opinions for each topic as these make your writing appear more fluid and natural.

The most important thing is not to panic. Your writing may appear to be monotonous, but we are often quite harsh critics to ourselves, your grades show you are working exceptionally hard and I have every confidence you will do well. Even if the grammar isn't perfect in the piece, you're still able to get an A*, just focus on all of the tips and have a clear head when going into write your piece.

All the best of luck!
Dewpider
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paracosm)
Hey there Dewpider,

Sorry nobody responded to you. I hope this isn't too late!

Writing is always the one I find trickiest, but I managed to get an A* in the GCSE (didn't take an IGCSE course), so perhaps I can help... I did notice my teacher would always be throwing us set sentences for our essays, they're useful, but not really a true portrayal of your ability. It's probably still worth picking a few that you like and memorising them before the exam comes along. The most important thing is to make sure what you're saying makes sense. Try and balance content with tenses/grammar and accuracy. The best thing to do is to draft an essay now, on any subject... learn some basic phrases...

There's a really useful resource on TSR written by @Ktln:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ting_exam_tips - this will explain how best to proceed. Definitely make sure you know a lot of handy verbs, go over your topics and have some opinions for each topic as these make your writing appear more fluid and natural.

The most important thing is not to panic. Your writing may appear to be monotonous, but we are often quite harsh critics to ourselves, your grades show you are working exceptionally hard and I have every confidence you will do well. Even if the grammar isn't perfect in the piece, you're still able to get an A*, just focus on all of the tips and have a clear head when going into write your piece.

All the best of luck!
Thank you so much, I really really appreciate your help, it means a lot! My writing is this Monday, so I'm planning to do a lot of practice before then
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much, I really really appreciate your help, it means a lot! My writing is this Monday, so I'm planning to do a lot of practice before then
You're more than welcome, trust me! I really hope it all goes well! Let me know how you think it went?
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
I'm in year 12 and I did AQA iGCSE French last year. I'd say for the writing make sure you know your tenses. If you can, take your own dictionary into the exams and familiarise yourself with it beforehand, try and get one with conjugated verb tables and things in it. I also looked through all my notes and the textbook and picked out good phrases for each topic that I could use in writing and speaking, this really helped. Good luck!
Dewpider
Rep:
?
BUMP!
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
BUMP!
Hey, how are things? Did it go OK?
Dewpider
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paracosm)
Hey, how are things? Did it go OK?
Yeah, I actually got 97 UMS which I am super happy about! It was higher than my German (which I usually find easier), I'm thankful for your advice. It really did help. Thanks I'm just going to practice to make sure I get that in the real exam!
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I actually got 97 UMS which I am super happy about! It was higher than my German (which I usually find easier), I'm thankful for your advice. It really did help. Thanks I'm just going to practice to make sure I get that in the real exam!
Omg, well done you! You're honestly more than welcome, I'm so happy you did so well! Keep up the practice, you can do this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.25%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
18.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
12.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
9.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
34.38%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (6)
18.75%

Watched Threads