Dewpider
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! I'm doing CIE IGCSE ICT (2016 syllabus) here's a link in case you haven't seen it: http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and...chnology-0417/
Typically I find ICT quite easy, in all of my mock practicals I have got A*'s and it's the same in my tests. Now that it has come to the time before my mock exams, and I really am stuck on how to revise ICT. I know how to revise all of my other sub jects, it's just that ICT is quite different, and there's no common way to revise it. For the other tests I just read through my notes and watched a few videos. i also like reading the ICT Lounge, IGCSE ICT and ITeach ICT websites too. Occasionally I wrote notes for tougher topics but that's it really. I really want to snag that A* for both my mocks and my real exam so any help would be thoroughly appreciated!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dewpider)
Hi! I'm doing CIE IGCSE ICT (2016 syllabus) here's a link in case you haven't seen it: http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and...chnology-0417/
Typically I find ICT quite easy, in all of my mock practicals I have got A*'s and it's the same in my tests. Now that it has come to the time before my mock exams, and I really am stuck on how to revise ICT. I know how to revise all of my other sub jects, it's just that ICT is quite different, and there's no common way to revise it. For the other tests I just read through my notes and watched a few videos. i also like reading the ICT Lounge, IGCSE ICT and ITeach ICT websites too. Occasionally I wrote notes for tougher topics but that's it really. I really want to snag that A* for both my mocks and my real exam so any help would be thoroughly appreciated!
I also did ICT at GCSE, although I did it with AQA. I would recommend revising by reading through your notes, revision websites etc, and then attempting past papers under timed exam conditions. Doing past papers will help you to identify any topics you're still unsure about, so that you can focus your efforts on learning them. Past papers also help you to become familiar with the layout of the exam, style of questions asked etc, which will help you when you do the real exam as you'll know roughly what to expect.

Good luck
Dewpider
Rep:
?
(Original post by gvcfh)
i would like to get to know you baby
like to get under your sexy body
ummm okay...?
katierthompson
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did loads of past papers because the questions were pretty much the same every year but I had a different exam board
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The theory side exactly as levanthian1741 advises - repetition of exposure to facts, understanding them, asking the "six wise men" = Why? When? What? Where? Which? AND How?

Practical skills: There is nothing apart from hands-on practice with software packages, operating systems, networking issues, etc that will perfect your practical IT skills.

Try and practice using the features of databases, spreadsheets and Powerpoint as applications used to achieve your own personal objectives that are unique to yourself. e.g. create an Access database from scratch to record the names, addresses, phone nos of your best friends, using all the principles you have learnt in theory i.e. use of atomic fields, data validation, data types (e.g. that a numeric data type is one you can do calculations on, therefore NOT e.g. phone nos), then practice printing out labels by merging your database file with a Word file, let us say, right now, that conveys an XMas message - that will help you practice how to insert database table fields into your Word document and how to format these.

With Powerpoint, use it to produce a speech for another subject, whatever you enjoy: biology, physics, art you name it.

etc etc etc

YOU WILL GET AN A*!

Mukesh (MSc Computer Science)
Dewpider
Rep:
?
(Original post by katierthompson)
I did loads of past papers because the questions were pretty much the same every year but I had a different exam board
Thank you for the advice!
(Original post by macpatelgh)
The theory side exactly as levanthian1741 advises - repetition of exposure to facts, understanding them, asking the "six wise men" = Why? When? What? Where? Which? AND How?

Practical skills: There is nothing apart from hands-on practice with software packages, operating systems, networking issues, etc that will perfect your practical IT skills.

Try and practice using the features of databases, spreadsheets and Powerpoint as applications used to achieve your own personal objectives that are unique to yourself. e.g. create an Access database from scratch to record the names, addresses, phone nos of your best friends, using all the principles you have learnt in theory i.e. use of atomic fields, data validation, data types (e.g. that a numeric data type is one you can do calculations on, therefore NOT e.g. phone nos), then practice printing out labels by merging your database file with a Word file, let us say, right now, that conveys an XMas message - that will help you practice how to insert database table fields into your Word document and how to format these.

With Powerpoint, use it to produce a speech for another subject, whatever you enjoy: biology, physics, art you name it.

etc etc etc

YOU WILL GET AN A*!

Mukesh (MSc Computer Science)
Thanks very much for the advice, it is very helpful!
Dewpider
Rep:
?
BUMP!
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dewpider)
BUMP!
???
Dewpider
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
???
Just trying to bring more attention to the post, for more advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads