The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

I can answer any questions people may have about winchester uni.

I am a first year at winchester uni that studies business management. I live in burma road. I've just finished my first semester and have had a great time. I can answer any questions you may have about the uni or about the city itself.

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering about the student societies. Are they free to join?
Aslo when you have required help from student services or needed to talk to a tutor for example, have you found it easy to speak to someone quickly?
Thank you for your time and good luck with the rest of your course!
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Reply 2
is Winchester good for stuff to do, e.g night life-like what do the students do at weekends.
I also want to volunteer my services. Quote my post otherwise I probably won't see it.

I'm a third year, study history, I've lived in west downs, rented and commuted.
Reply 4
Original post by Add!ction
I also want to volunteer my services. Quote my post otherwise I probably won't see it.

I'm a third year, study history, I've lived in west downs, rented and commuted.

I am cosidering studying History at Winchester university so you are actually the perfect person I have found here :biggrin: what do you think of the course, the facilities, the accommodation and how larger would you say the campus is? Final question would be about graduate prospects as Winchester isn't highly ranked do you still feel you've had good support from the careers service and feel you shall leave able to enter into a good profession
Thank you
Reply 5
Hi, I've read that the campuses are non-smoking, I'm wondering if there are any designated areas? I vape a lot (no nicotine) and have applied for Burma House, how far is it to the nearest area if there are any? Thanks
Original post by Tylerd94
I am cosidering studying History at Winchester university so you are actually the perfect person I have found here :biggrin: what do you think of the course, the facilities, the accommodation and how larger would you say the campus is? Final question would be about graduate prospects as Winchester isn't highly ranked do you still feel you've had good support from the careers service and feel you shall leave able to enter into a good profession
Thank you

Hi! I shall do my best :smile:

The course is great, some modules better than others and I think there is a wide range for you to select from. Lecturers are super supportive, some more than others however, I tend not to see the course as a whole but rate individual modules as they can vary a lot. If you let me know what kind of history you're interested in then I can tell you about individual modules.

What facilities do you want to know about?

Accommodation is great, I have stayed in both West Downs and Queens Road and I can tell you theyre amazing compared to a lot of uni's. I've seen quite a few and they are by far the nicest for their price.

Campus is small but thats what I liked about it. It's not too overwhelming and has a nice cosy feel to it.

Graduate prospects depends entirely on you and would be the same wherever you went, with a degree like history you need to get as much work experience as you can. I did a volunteering module in second year and it was the best thing I ever did, I also volunteer in the holidays, it really does stand you in good stead. Postgraduate study is important IMO as it really hones your skills and sets you apart.

Careers service is great, I have only used them for my masters personal statement and they were really helpful. they're always having careers fayres too
Reply 7
Hi! I shall do my best :smile:

The course is great, some modules better than others and I think there is a wide range for you to select from. Lecturers are super supportive, some more than others however, I tend not to see the course as a whole but rate individual modules as they can vary a lot. If you let me know what kind of history you're interested in then I can tell you about individual modules.

What facilities do you want to know about?

Accommodation is great, I have stayed in both West Downs and Queens Road and I can tell you theyre amazing compared to a lot of uni's. I've seen quite a few and they are by far the nicest for their price.

Campus is small but thats what I liked about it. It's not too overwhelming and has a nice cosy feel to it.

Graduate prospects depends entirely on you and would be the same wherever you went, with a degree like history you need to get as much work experience as you can. I did a volunteering module in second year and it was the best thing I ever did, I also volunteer in the holidays, it really does stand you in good stead. Postgraduate study is important IMO as it really hones your skills and sets you apart.

Careers service is great, I have only used them for my masters personal statement and they were really helpful. they're always having careers fayres too

You've done a good way at making that shine my open day is June 9th!!

By facilities I mean: Library, Gym, mental health. Just all the facilities you would expect to be at University really haha

See Lincoln is a small Uni but from what I've seen video wise Winchester seems as though it would be bigger than Lincoln and certainly much greener at least so I removed Lincoln from my open day visit's I have 13 lined up haha (Crazy I know) All of the Campus uni's
Is it possible to remain on campus or must you leave second year?

My favourite areas of history would be anything ancient, medieval or Tudor period and also any American Civil War or Russian Tzar area all history interests me though really I can't lie haha.

It's great to hear there is a volunteer module! And that you give praise to the careers service as when it comes to Masters I would like to take Museum Studies at Leicester
Original post by cam_ms
is Winchester good for stuff to do, e.g night life-like what do the students do at weekends.

I can't comment on the uni side specifically, but having lived in the vicinity of Winch for a number of years, it's definitely not a "city" in the sense of e.g. Birmingham, London, or even Cambridge. It's very much a countryside city-because-it-has-a-cathedral. While there are often live music events and other "hipster-y" things going on, if you want to get hammered and club hop it's definitely not the place for you.

However, it's very close to Basingstoke which has...slightly more options, I believe, and not too far from Southampton (~25 mins by train) which has a fair few clubs, and the infamous Jesters. Also London is about...an hour? By train? (been a while since I went that direction from Winch) so if you wanted to spend a weekend in the City it's an option.

There are many bucolic villages and townships around with old style pubs and theatres and so on nearby as well however, so if you're more into the culture thing you probably will find enough to entertain you. Winchester itself is, however, quite small on the whole.
You've done a good way at making that shine my open day is June 9th!!

By facilities I mean: Library, Gym, mental health. Just all the facilities you would expect to be at University really haha

See Lincoln is a small Uni but from what I've seen video wise Winchester seems as though it would be bigger than Lincoln and certainly much greener at least so I removed Lincoln from my open day visit's I have 13 lined up haha (Crazy I know) All of the Campus uni's
Is it possible to remain on campus or must you leave second year?

My favourite areas of history would be anything ancient, medieval or Tudor period and also any American Civil War or Russian Tzar area all history interests me though really I can't lie haha.

It's great to hear there is a volunteer module! And that you give praise to the careers service as when it comes to Masters I would like to take Museum Studies at Leicester

The library is small, but then the uni is small so it's all relative. There has been times when I've been unable to get books but it's never been a major problem and you'll get that at all uni's anyway. There is a gym but I've never used it, it's right next to Burma accommodation. Again, haven't used the mental health or support facilities but they seen great from what I've heard from other people. You can talk to them about anything.

Accommodation is not available to second and third years so you would need to move out. Start looking around Christmas time.

I've done a couple of Medieval modules medieval death, and the black death. There's tudor medicine/ food and drink, civil war, renaissance queenship. Loads there to choose from from all periods. You'll get a catalogue to choose from.

I have an offer to study museum studies at Leicester so you can ask me about that too haha. I've just been to Leicester this past week.
The library is small, but then the uni is small so it's all relative. There has been times when I've been unable to get books but it's never been a major problem and you'll get that at all uni's anyway. There is a gym but I've never used it, it's right next to Burma accommodation. Again, haven't used the mental health or support facilities but they seen great from what I've heard from other people. You can talk to them about anything.

Accommodation is not available to second and third years so you would need to move out. Start looking around Christmas time.

I've done a couple of Medieval modules medieval death, and the black death. There's tudor medicine/ food and drink, civil war, renaissance queenship. Loads there to choose from from all periods. You'll get a catalogue to choose from.

I have an offer to study museum studies at Leicester so you can ask me about that too haha. I've just been to Leicester this past week.

That's really good news I doubt I'll be using the gym but might do haha. Thank you for that I'll start looking around Christmas wherever I go never knew when would be a good time to look. Did you visit anyother universities before deciding on Winchester? (Wondering what made you decide to go there)

Oh what did you think of Leicester I'm going to visit on the third of June I hear it's a bit of a concrete jungle but it's the best in the country for Museum studies there, UCL and Manchester closely follow behind
That's really good news I doubt I'll be using the gym but might do haha. Thank you for that I'll start looking around Christmas wherever I go never knew when would be a good time to look. Did you visit anyother universities before deciding on Winchester? (Wondering what made you decide to go there)

Oh what did you think of Leicester I'm going to visit on the third of June I hear it's a bit of a concrete jungle but it's the best in the country for Museum studies there, UCL and Manchester closely follow behind

I visited Kent, Nottingham, Leicester, Bournemouth, and Winchester I think.

Well I went viewing it as a postgraduate so my needs might be a little different to yours, but I thought it was lovely. Really nice looking buildings, lots of green space etc. Morrisons about 10 mins walk away and a stretch of shops about the same distance. I didn't think it was much of a concrete jungle to be honest, a bit of a mix. It is indeed the best! :smile:
I visited Kent, Nottingham, Leicester, Bournemouth, and Winchester I think.

Well I went viewing it as a postgraduate so my needs might be a little different to yours, but I thought it was lovely. Really nice looking buildings, lots of green space etc. Morrisons about 10 mins walk away and a stretch of shops about the same distance. I didn't think it was much of a concrete jungle to be honest, a bit of a mix. It is indeed the best! :smile:

If you feel I'm prying I totally understand and you can reply via private message instead but if you were given offers from Nottingham, Leciester, Kent and Bournmouth as well as Winchester what would make you decide upon taking Winchester or is it partially due to the fact you were not given offers from your other choices?
If you feel I'm prying I totally understand and you can reply via private message instead but if you were given offers from Nottingham, Leciester, Kent and Bournmouth as well as Winchester what would make you decide upon taking Winchester or is it partially due to the fact you were not given offers from your other choices?

It's totally fine! I have nothing else to do haha. I don't mind how I reply, other people might want this information. I didn't apply to Bournemouth tbh and I had offers from all the others. For me, I liked that Winchester was close to home and it was small, it felt cosy and safe. And now having been there, I see more of it's conveniences. Like the train for example, about 15 minutes walk to the station and it goes straight to my home, southampton, London etc, I was able to go to Basingstoke for my work placement, it was so handy.

I love that it is a cultured city too with it's cathedral and links to Jane Austen amongst others, for a History student I felt that it was perfect.

Also having seen other halls, Winchester was by far the best, even the cheapest was really nice.
It's totally fine! I have nothing else to do haha. I don't mind how I reply, other people might want this information. I didn't apply to Bournemouth tbh and I had offers from all the others. For me, I liked that Winchester was close to home and it was small, it felt cosy and safe. And now having been there, I see more of it's conveniences. Like the train for example, about 15 minutes walk to the station and it goes straight to my home, southampton, London etc, I was able to go to Basingstoke for my work placement, it was so handy.

I love that it is a cultured city too with it's cathedral and links to Jane Austen amongst others, for a History student I felt that it was perfect.

Also having seen other halls, Winchester was by far the best, even the cheapest was really nice.

That's amazing to know you were given an offer from Nottingham proper a Russell Group uni and turned it down for Winchester now I really can't wait for my open day there! You have been such a help thank you so much!
That's amazing to know you were given an offer from Nottingham proper a Russell Group uni and turned it down for Winchester now I really can't wait for my open day there! You have been such a help thank you so much!

Not a problem :smile: The thing is, league tables and Russell groups etc only form a small part of the picture. Really it's how you make the most of your time at uni. A first from a Russell group uni is amazing but if it isn't paired with some good hands on work experience then it may not get you very far. You need to hone your skills and set yourself apart from other candidates, it's the reason I am doing the museum studies postgrad, my degree alone won't get me very far. The MA will teach me heritage management skills, conservation techniques and object handling, as well as culminating in a 2 month work placement to put my skills into practice and build links to different institutions. You'll find that getting that sort of experience in a voluntary capacity is quite difficult. A lot of museum work experience is not directly history related, it'll be shop work, or cafe work etc. Still a foot in the door nonetheless, but you're not really developing all of the skills needed to work in a museum.
Hi :smile:

I have just had an accommodation offer for Winchester uni and was wondering how I could find the people I will be living with. Are there any secure websites I could use to meet them before September?

Thanks.
Original post by Abbie Palmer
Hi :smile:

I have just had an accommodation offer for Winchester uni and was wondering how I could find the people I will be living with. Are there any secure websites I could use to meet them before September?

Thanks.

Check out the official 2017/18 Freshers Facebook group. People are pairing up quickly on that page
Original post by Vallorfax
Check out the official 2017/18 Freshers Facebook group. People are pairing up quickly on that page

Thank you I will do :smile:
Is there a post room where parcels are sent if they're too big and how would we know to collect it ?

Quick Reply

Latest