Just watched some Messi highlights from today... Watch

Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
And was reminded how ridiculous it is that Ronaldo has won 4 Ballon d'Ors. No one has been close to Messi since 2009. Not close.

This guy isn't once in a generation or once in a lifetime. He's just once.
SirMilkSheikh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That was like watching someone dance on water. Unbelievable.
James.Carnell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ronaldo is better because he is the first gay player to come out and get away with it.
Yaboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2011 Messi >
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Remember when Ronaldo threw a tantrum that one year and FIFA postponed voting by a couple of weeks and he ended up winning

Ronaldo is a sore loser.
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The only year that I think Ronaldo deserved to win the Ballon d'Or was 2014, and that was only because Messi spent most of that year injured.

It upsets me that large swathes of the public don't seem to realise how far ahead of Ronaldo Messi actually is - which is not to undermine Ronaldo's immense talent; it's to agree with the OP and acknowledge just how extraordinary Messi is.
Renaissance-Man
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KingMessi)
The only year that I think Ronaldo deserved to win the Ballon d'Or was 2014, and that was only because Messi spent most of that year injured.

It upsets me that large swathes of the public don't seem to realise how far ahead of Ronaldo Messi actually is - which is not to undermine Ronaldo's immense talent; it's to agree with the OP and acknowledge just how extraordinary Messi is.
I disagree. Both players are extraordinary BUT Ronaldo has proven himself in the PL as well....Messi hasn't. Ronaldo has also had far better influence in the national team. Messi has been a ghost in the Argentina team for a while now.

I think Pep even said in one of his interviews its easy to look good when you have good players around you.
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by trapking)
I disagree. Both players are extraordinary BUT Ronaldo has proven himself in the PL as well....Messi hasn't. Ronaldo has also had far better influence in the national team. Messi has been a ghost in the Argentina team for a while now.

I think Pep even said in one of his interviews its easy to look good when you have good players around you.
-Messi has scored, I think, 16 goals in 16 games against the Premier League's best teams
-Ronaldo has had (among others) Rooney, Benzema, Bale, Modric, Ramos, Tevez, Scholes, de Gea, et cetera around him. This meme that Messi has had outstanding support while Ronaldo has not should never have been allowed to last as long as it has. Both are playing for extraordinarily strong teams.

We've also seen what Aguero, Sanchez, and Costa - prolific in La Liga - have done in the Premier League, with Aguero scoring at nearly a goal a game.
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

As for the national team, Messi is Argentina's all-time top goalscorer, dragged them single-handed out of the 2014 World Cup Group Stage, has a hat-trick against Brazil to his name, has played in four finals, and led the assist chart in the Copa America.

If Higuain and Palacios were more clinical, this debate would be non-existent. These points have been made numerous times. Ronaldo has played in two finals, with no noteworthy effect on either. I think he has had more impact, yes, but the difference is marginal.
Renaissance-Man
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
-Messi has scored, I think, 16 goals in 16 games against the Premier League's best teams
-Ronaldo has had (among others) Rooney, Benzema, Bale, Modric, Ramos, Tevez, Scholes, de Gea, et cetera around him. This meme that Messi has had outstanding support while Ronaldo has not should never have been allowed to last as long as it has. Both are playing for extraordinarily strong teams.

We've also seen what Aguero, Sanchez, and Costa - prolific in La Liga - have done in the Premier League, with Aguero scoring at nearly a goal a game.
Scoring against the best premier leagues teams does not mean he would perform well in the PL though. Ronaldo evolved and proved his quality, scoring a **** tonne of goals season after season and making assists. Then Ronaldo went to Spain and still dominated. He proved his quality both at club level and more importantly at international level. Messi hasn't been that influential at international level the way Ronaldo has and if you disagree on this point you must be blind.

Ronaldo even said himself in an interview that football in Spain is a lot easier than the PL. It's not as physical and more time is spent passing the ball and playing a more technical game.

Again all those strikers Aguero, Diego have proven their quality in both leagues. Messi hasn't.
Jimmy Seville
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Yeah but you're a fanboy so why would anyone actually respect your opinion on the matter?
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Scoring against the best premier leagues teams does not mean he would perform well in the PL though. Ronaldo evolved and proved his quality, scoring a **** tonne of goals season after season and making assists. Then Ronaldo went to Spain and still dominated. He proved his quality both at club level and more importantly at international level. Messi hasn't been that influential at international level the way Ronaldo has and if you disagree on this point you must be blind.

Ronaldo even said himself in an interview that football in Spain is a lot easier than the PL. It's not as physical and more time is spent passing the ball and playing a more technical game.

Again all those strikers Aguero, Diego have proven their quality in both leagues. Messi hasn't.
1. It doesn't prove it, but, unless Messi does choose to play in the Premier League, it's the best guide we have to Messi's possible Premier League performance. I see his goalscoring record as a reasonably strong suggestion that he would continue to post excellent numbers playing there. On the contrary, those who seek to argue that Messi wouldn't succeed in the Premier League have no such proof whatsoever; they only have conjecture, based on the claim that Messi would struggle in a more physical league.

Again, there are two claims that can be examined here: (1) that small, skillful players struggle in the Premier League by virtue of its physicality, and (2) that prolific players in Spain struggle to score goals in England. We can't prove the case for Messi in particular, but we can make an inference based on the fortunes of players with reasonably similar styles - Mata, Silva - and goalscoring responsibility (Aguero, Costa, Sanchez). None of these players have struggled in the Premier League. I therefore find it difficult to understand why Messi - more talented than all of these players, and likely to play for just as strong a side - might be expected to struggle.

2. I conceded that Ronaldo has been more influential for his country ('I think he has had more impact, yes'). I argued that the disparity wasn't as large as people frequently suggest.

3. You need to prove that international football is 'more important' than club level. Club level allows (1) generally stronger squads, by virtue of allowing transfers, (2) better team cohesion, as a result of more training time and coaching resources, (3) better discernment between those with 'permanent class' and 'temporary form' (because international tournaments occur less frequently; club football places more consistent demands on players, and (4) less room for the sort of fortune that comes with knockout tournaments (because league structures exist). Why, then, is it 'more important' to prove oneself at international level?
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jimmy Seville)
Yeah but you're a fanboy so why would anyone actually respect your opinion on the matter?
Excellent response, strong content. (y)
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Messi has been a ghost in the Argentina team for a while now.
Messi did more in the Copa America than Ronaldo did in the Euros.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Maybe in an alternative universe where Madrid have a working fax machine
Jimmy Seville
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Excellent response, strong content. (y)
You've actually, unoricanally, gone and posted this...

You're talking complete shite and you know it. There is no meme that Ronaldo has done it on his own, and even if there was the calibre of players (and even managers) he has played under is not what Messi's is.
James.Carnell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jimmy Seville)
You've actually, unoricanally, gone and posted this...

You're talking complete shite and you know it. There is no meme that Ronaldo has done it on his own, and even if there was the calibre of players (and even managers) he has played under is not what Messi's is.
Thank you for also supporting gay Ronaldo. Us gays need to stick together.
Jimmy Seville
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by James.Carnell)
Thank you for also supporting gay Ronaldo. Us gays need to stick together.
K.
TheMagicRat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Excellent point. Don't forget Falcao, Soldado and Negredo.
jam276
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
And was reminded how ridiculous it is that Ronaldo has won 4 Ballon d'Ors. No one has been close to Messi since 2009. Not close.

This guy isn't once in a generation or once in a lifetime. He's just once.
Shame on you for making this thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
25%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (49)
34.03%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.36%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.64%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.97%

Watched Threads