The Student Room Group

Does anyone else (girls in particular) enjoy martial arts?

Scroll to see replies

Was that you? That was the forward facing breakfall. This one is easy...

When i said breakfall, i was referring more to a rolling breakfall. I will try to get a video of one for you. Ask him to show you how to do this? Also, if you start from kneeling, this is an easier way in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2d14cWPKPw

watch that a couple of times, then ask your instructor if he knows how to do this. I imagine he does, even if he says it is too early for you to learn this technique okay>?

BTW you can try it outside on the grass, if you need extra practice?
Original post by john2054
Was that you? That was the forward facing breakfall. This one is easy...

When i said breakfall, i was referring more to a rolling breakfall. I will try to get a video of one for you. Ask him to show you how to do this? Also, if you start from kneeling, this is an easier way in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2d14cWPKPw

watch that a couple of times, then ask your instructor if he knows how to do this. I imagine he does, even if he says it is too early for you to learn this technique okay>?

BTW you can try it outside on the grass, if you need extra practice?

yes that was me - I was absolutely terrified to do that! We are starting to learn a fall a bit like the link you have just pasted - It's like a forward roll x cartwheel, where you land on one knee and a foot so you can walk straight out of it. We have plenty of gym mats cos we usually train in the sports hall! It's just letting go that's my issue at the moment! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sweetpeasw
yes that was me - I was absolutely terrified to do that! We are starting to learn a fall a bit like the link you have just pasted - It's like a forward roll x cartwheel, where you land on one knee and a foot so you can walk straight out of it. We have plenty of gym mats cos we usually train in the sports hall! It's just letting go that's my issue at the moment! Thank you :smile:

Sure

but i'd like to add that you shouldn't land on one knee

you should land on your back

then you can roll out of it if you are good (this is what we are taught to do in aikido)

or slap the ground and take a beat

like the uki did in the video

this is the way was are taught in judo

i have done more than one style you see....
got my blog properly up and running! would appreciate it if anyone would check it out!

www.sweetpeasw17.wixsite.com/martial-arts-blog
i like throws- so mostly sambo/judo/jj for me. also a bit of striking, so i also train a bit of MT and do some basic savate kicks

Original post by Liv1204
Does anyone have a favourite kick/punch/combination/etc?

mine is hard-blocking (with my left hand) a right haymaker and then either catching the arm/shoulder with it and coming in to do a hip throw (of which there are gazilion types) or neck crank take-down.
(edited 7 years ago)
i used to do taekwondo once upon a time, but them my gcses started and i haven't been since, dosen't help that the youth club i went to that had it closed down
Original post by Studystix
i used to do taekwondo once upon a time, but them my gcses started and i haven't been since, dosen't help that the youth club i went to that had it closed down

Some people are frustrated to interrupt martial arts for private reasons. Have experienced that all the time, no matter in what kind of martial art it was, yeah, even myself had to interrput it in part because of that. How are you feeling to give that up?
Reply 128
My background is Tae Kwon-Do. Used to do it as a kid, but then had to stop for a few years. Now for the last few years I've been training several times a week and loving it :smile: Would like to try out some other martial arts too but finding a time is the hard part.
Original post by Smud
(...) Would like to try out some other martial arts too but finding a time is the hard part.

Fortunately, I have always found the time to do another martial arts. And in my opinion it the best what martial artist can do. Learning another kinds of martial arts mean to get another experiences to fight and to change or better to make your fighting stiles up.
Reply 130
Original post by Kallisto
Learning another kinds of martial arts mean to get another experiences to fight and to change or better to make your fighting stiles up.

Exactly why I'd like to learn more! I'll probably look more into another martial art after getting my black belt.
Original post by Kallisto
Some people are frustrated to interrupt martial arts for private reasons. Have experienced that all the time, no matter in what kind of martial art it was, yeah, even myself had to interrput it in part because of that. How are you feeling to give that up?

well, i wish that i continued, and there were other factors that stopped me from going as much as i wanted, still, i'm hoping that i can find a kickboxing/boxing class to join
I think learning new martial arts is incredibly important to your growth as a martial artists. Even just learning new styles in your art if you're doing something like Kung Fu where each style is practically a different art is a great way to learn new approaches and skills. I mean, that's basically how MMA started.

Studying contrasting arts is good too. I study/have studied Kung Fu and Capoeria which are pretty darn different, and I think I've been able to take different parts of each to the other to improve my style ^^
Original post by Studystix
well, i wish that i continued, and there were other factors that stopped me from going as much as i wanted, still, i'm hoping that i can find a kickboxing/boxing class to join

As a rule there is such a class in every city. They are offered quite frequently and the best for beginners to start in martial arts in my opinion.
I want to get started with a martial art (have not decided which one yet) as soon as possible, if that counts :biggrin:
Original post by Michiyo
I want to get started with a martial art (have not decided which one yet) as soon as possible, if that counts :biggrin:

If you are still insecure, I recommend you kickboxing or boxing. Have begun with the first one, now I am doing taekwondo and boxing and have begun with kung fu ( wushu) recently.
Karate brown belt. Take that! Hiyah!
I took up an after school martial arts club at the same time as I started studying A levels, and I find that although I get teased for doing it, It's what I enjoy and look forward to most each week. It's what keeps me going through hard weeks, knowing that I will always have my club at the beginning of each week.

Does anyone else have this relationship with martial arts? and what type do you do?
I do Tai Chi, and Wing Chun, which look at focusing energy, and then using the energy in a short range to defend yourself. Just curious, also wondering how popular it is with girls? I go to a girls school, and only about 8 of us from the whole school do it...

I used to do martial arts but I quit but some of my friends do it so keep it up !
Graded (kickboxing) on Tuesday.

From the girl who used to hide in the corner, looking at the floor, couldn't cope with staying in a session, who was terrified at the thought of grading...
And the girl who, six weeks after my mum died (I went back to training two days afterwards - my mum died on the Monday, I was back in on Wednesday, with the most amazing club who know when I just need to be let loose in the ring), sat outside the dojo and sobbed my heart out after grading because I hadn't coped, so had walked out because I just mentally couldn't do it...
To the girl who got in the ring for the first time 3 months after my mum died...

To the girl who now is officially at junior instructor level at my club. :redface: (3 more belts to go. But junior instructor level is somewhere I never thought I'd get!)

And now looking forward to refereeing and officiating course & certificate next month!

Happy happy happy. :smile:
I took up an after school martial arts club at the same time as I started studying A levels, and I find that although I get teased for doing it, It's what I enjoy and look forward to most each week. It's what keeps me going through hard weeks, knowing that I will always have my club at the beginning of each week.

Does anyone else have this relationship with martial arts? and what type do you do?
I do Tai Chi, and Wing Chun, which look at focusing energy, and then using the energy in a short range to defend yourself. Just curious, also wondering how popular it is with girls? I go to a girls school, and only about 8 of us from the whole school do it...

i enjoyed doing karate. I ended up getting to green belt like 6 years or so ago. I would have gotten to black but it was shut down because the place he hired to train did not allow him to go there anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest