The Student Room Group

£5 million of UK tax money used to fund pop group in Ethiopia

A five girl pop group, branded the 'Ethiopian Spice Girls', has been awarded a 5.2 million pound contract of UK aid money to develop their national image in Ethiopia, in the hopes it will help empower women in the country. It's part of a larger plan costing £16 million known as 'Girl Effect' which seeks to promote young women throughout the Ethiopian society through media outlets.

The Ethiopian Spice Girls plan to start a talk show and television drama while promoting their songs with the investment and it's expected the funding will last them until 2018, not bad work if you can get it..... maybe if I start an Ethiopian pop band so the UK government can give me 5 million pound ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4046308/Britain-gives-5-million-Ethiopian-Spice-Girls-new-talk-4-million-ve-handed-them.html#comments

3B7FCDBC00000578-0-image-a-10_1482096681005.jpg
Original post by HandiCapanda
A five girl pop group, branded the 'Ethiopian Spice Girls', has been awarded a 5.2 million pound contract of UK aid money to develop their national image in Ethiopia, in the hopes it will help empower women in the country. It's part of a larger plan costing £16 million known as 'Girl Effect' which seeks to promote young women throughout the Ethiopian society through media outlets.

The Ethiopian Spice Girls plan to start a talk show and television drama while promoting their songs with the investment and it's expected the funding will last them until 2018, not bad work if you can get it..... maybe if I start an Ethiopian pop band so the UK government can give me 5 million pound ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4046308/Britain-gives-5-million-Ethiopian-Spice-Girls-new-talk-4-million-ve-handed-them.html#comments

3B7FCDBC00000578-0-image-a-10_1482096681005.jpg

That £5 million could do wonders for a local council authority here in the UK, for example improve higheays, but no, the charity starts at home thing has gone right out of the window as usual! :angry:
Us taxpayers didn't sign up to have our money sent to an Ethiopian girl-band.

Why does our government keep ignoring the fact the U.K. needs all the funding it can.

INB4: 'You're a selfish bastard"

How about you send them some of your own money, *****.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Eugh the typical far-right tantruming in this thread is so cringe
Original post by Dodgypirate
Us taxpayers didn't sign up to have our money sent to an Ethiopian girl-band.

Actually yes we did.

Spending on international aid was in the Conservative manifesto on which Cameron was elected.

The Secretary of State is appearing before a Commons committee today and so the Daily Mail has trawled through billions of pounds of spending to find the weirdest single piece of expenditure to attack the whole.

PS the group is called Yegna. Has anyone other than the Daily Mail branded it the Ethiopian Spice Girls?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
Actually yes we did.

Spending on international aid was in the Conservative manifesto on which Cameron was elected.

The Secretary of State is appearing before a Commons committee today and so the Daily Mail has trawled through billions of pounds of spending to find the weirdest single piece of expenditure to attack the whole.

PS the group is called Yegna. Has anyone other than the Daily Mail branded it the Ethiopian Spice Girls?

International aid = a pop group from Ethiopia?

:lol:
Original post by Inexorably
Eugh the typical far-right tantruming in this thread is so cringe

Why 'far-right' though?

It seems like you enjoy throwing the term around but don't even know what it means and what king of people fit in it.

Try again.
Original post by Dodgypirate
International aid = a pop group from Ethiopia?

:lol:

The idea (and I think it is crackpot because as soon as they have attracted western publicity they will be out of Addis Ababa like a shot and the Daily Mail has just helped them
In this) was that this was part of a campaign to turn around the lives of young women in Ethiopia. That is a perfectly reasonable aid objective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FreedomTower
That £5 million could do wonders for a local council authority here in the UK, for example improve higheays, but no, the charity starts at home thing has gone right out of the window as usual! :angry:

We've already made a large 5 year investment into our highways. One of the largest in history. And expect even bigger funding for a further 5 years. :lol:
Original post by nulli tertius
The idea (and I think it is crackpot because as soon as they have attracted western publicity they will be out of Addis Ababa like a shot and the Daily Mail has just helped them
In this) was that this was part of a campaign to turn around the lives of young women in Ethiopia. That is a perfectly reasonable aid objective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct, of the women in the band.

I'd consider "charity for women" to be in schools or women centres for victims of rape.

That's just me though.
Original post by lord samosa2
We've already made a large 5 year investment into our highways. One of the largest in history. And expect even bigger funding for a further 5 years. :lol:

Did your main account get banned?
Whoever came up with those spice names should be shot.
Original post by lord samosa2
For a silly reason, I'm sure it will get overturned

Well you can't expect it to be longer now :smile:
I'm sorry ... what?

What is happening to this country?

Quick Reply

Latest