What's the easiest AQA v. OCR v. EDEXCEL for GCSEs?

Watch
fennec
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to do GCSEs as private candidate for English, Maths and Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)

What's the easiest among AQA, OCR and Edexcel?

Can I do the exams in summer 2017? I don't wanna be late to register. What about the units per subject, can I register for like all 3 units for maths ?

Can anyone explain how these GCSEs exams work? I'm Italian, cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
username2525965
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel like you won't do very well if you sit them this year if you haven't been learning the correct topics. Most schools start teaching the Maths and English specifications when kids are 11/12 and the Science's go into detail when the kids are about 13. Also, there is no easier exam board they're all equally difficult and focus on mostly the same topics.

I'm not overly sure what you mean when you register for 3 different units for maths either. Maths is maths and it's all 1 exam the only difference would be foundation and higher.

I'd say that your best bet is to look through the specifications, do a past paper to see what you know and then go from there, although it might be in your best interest to do the exams next year (which have been updated and are now graded through a 9-1 system)

Feel free to ask me anything else and hopefully someone else will chip in with their opinion too
fennec
Rep:
?
(Original post by phoebemallow)
I feel like you won't do very well if you sit them this year if you haven't been learning the correct topics. Most schools start teaching the Maths and English specifications when kids are 11/12 and the Science's go into detail when the kids are about 13. Also, there is no easier exam board they're all equally difficult and focus on mostly the same topics.

I'm not overly sure what you mean when you register for 3 different units for maths either. Maths is maths and it's all 1 exam the only difference would be foundation and higher.

I'd say that your best bet is to look through the specifications, do a past paper to see what you know and then go from there, although it might be in your best interest to do the exams next year (which have been updated and are now graded through a 9-1 system)

Feel free to ask me anything else and hopefully someone else will chip in with their opinion too
Thanks for your reply ☺ what's the difference between higher tier and foundation tier? :confused: in the 2 photos there are 3 units for maths (statistics and number, number and algebra and geometry and algebra ) ImageImage

Am I gonna do the exam with all the 3 units included automatically without specifying? Honestly the contents are easy for me, I think it will be a piece a cake ✌ just need to revise a lil bit

Btw probably I think I'll go for AQA 🔜

gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fennec)
Thanks for your reply ☺ what's the difference between higher tier and foundation tier? :confused: in the 2 photos there are 3 units for maths (statistics and number, number and algebra and geometry and algebra ) ImageImage

Am I gonna do the exam with all the 3 units included automatically without specifying? Honestly the contents are easy for me, I think it will be a piece a cake ✌ just need to revise a lil bit

You cannot sit those maths exams this summer, they are no longer available.

If you have decided on AQA for maths you may be able to take exams in this specification:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...-linear-b-4365
IF you are old enough to be resitting GCSE and IF you can find an exam centre offering them.

Otherwise you would have to take exams based on the more difficult, new specification.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...thematics-8300

For other subjects, especially sciences you should consider IGCSE as they don't require the controlled assessments that have to taken in school if you attempt GCSE. You have a choice of Edexcel or CIE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Charlotte6745
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently doing AQA for all of these exams, none will be particually easier. If you're only starting now you proberly shouldn't take them this year. I've been doing science (at GCSE level) for 3 years, English for 2 and maths for 2 and I still haven't finished everything so you wouldn't have enough time to learn it all.
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do not do OCR. It's unnecessarily difficult.
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I do OCR for science and find it easier, I've taken a peak at other exam boards but that might just be because all I've done in my school life is OCR for Science.

I find Edecel Maths annoying it has its easy days and its challenging days, speaking from experience as I do them.
fennec
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
You cannot sit those maths exams this summer, they are no longer available.

If you have decided on AQA for maths you may be able to take exams in this specification:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...-linear-b-4365
IF you are old enough to be resitting GCSE and IF you can find an exam centre offering them.

Otherwise you would have to take exams based on the more difficult, new specification.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...thematics-8300

For other subjects, especially sciences you should consider IGCSE as they don't require the controlled assessments that have to taken in school if you attempt GCSE. You have a choice of Edexcel or CIE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Image GCSE Maths (83100) is the version they do from June 2017 that link you sent earlier is the old GCSE. I have never done GCSE. I'm not from the UK

Am I still in time to apply for GCSE exam in 2017, right?

I found this college that is recognized by AQA. Tomorrow I'll call them http://campbellharris.co.uk/external...ates/exam-fees

gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Image GCSE Maths (83100) is the version they do from June 2017 that link you sent earlier is the old GCSE. I have never done GCSE. I'm not from the UK

Am I still in time to apply for GCSE exam in 2017, right?

I found this college that is recognized by AQA. Tomorrow I'll call them http://campbellharris.co.uk/external...ates/exam-fees

I linked both the old linear GCSE that's is available to some candidates for the last time in summer 2017 and the new GCSE available for new candidates.

You are still in time to register for GCSE exams in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2525965
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

In a foundation paper the questions are easier but the highest grade you can get is a C (I think it's a 5 or a 6 in the new grading system) However you need to get a higher percentage to pass.

In a higher paper you can get any grade but the questions are harder.
fennec
Rep:
?
(Original post by phoebemallow)
In a foundation paper the questions are easier but the highest grade you can get is a C (I think it's a 5 or a 6 in the new grading system) However you need to get a higher percentage to pass.

In a higher paper you can get any grade but the questions are harder.
On AQA they say, for private candidates doing GCSE, it's mandatory finding a centre that provides controlled assessment. On Edexcel it doesn't mention this controlled assessment as necessary for private candidates.

And what is meant for controlled assessment exactly? BTW I found several Edexcel centres that offer the controlled assessments. Damn, I'm so confused :confused:

gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On AQA they say, for private candidates doing GCSE, it's mandatory finding a centre that provides controlled assessment. On Edexcel it doesn't mention this controlled assessment as necessary for private candidates.

And what is meant for controlled assessment exactly? BTW I found several Edexcel centres that offer the controlled assessments. Damn, I'm so confused :confused:

All GCSE science specifications from all examiners have mandatory controlled assessments. They are practical activities that have to be prepared, conducted and written up under the supervision of a teacher. They can be difficult/expensive for private candidates to arrange. Other subjects also have controlled assessments. Many private candidates prefer to take igcse qualifications which are of similar content/standard to GCSE but don't have any controlled assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fennec
Rep:
?
All GCSE science specifications from all examiners have mandatory controlled assessments. They are practical activities that have to be prepared, conducted and written up under the supervision of a teacher. They can be difficult/expensive for private candidates to arrange. Other subjects also have controlled assessments. Many private candidates prefer to take igcse qualifications which are of similar content/standard to GCSE but don't have any controlled assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do controlled assessments have the the same paper tests as the one not controlled? For GCSE Science on Edexcel given I need to get 3 GCSEs in biology, chemistry and physics I don't know which one to choose 😐😐😐

gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do controlled assessments have the the same paper tests as the one not controlled? For GCSE Science on Edexcel given I need to get 3 GCSEs in biology, chemistry and physics I don't know which one to choose 😐😐😐

I don't understand your question

ALL science GCSE include controlled assessments. There isn't an option for "not controlled".

IGCSE (also known as level 2 certificates) are a slightly different qualification that have a different specification and different exams but don't have controlled assessments. I recommend you consider the edexcel IGCSE for your 3 sciences.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do iGCSE CIE if you are doing English Language - it was one of the easiest exams I ever took. For 15 marks, which is a very good chunk of the overall marks of the paper, all you have to list 15 points about the passage you have just read. I think it's easier as many candidates who sit this don't speak English as a first language, so on top of that the grade boundaries are usually quite low.
fennec
Rep:
?
(Original post by george_c00per)
Do iGCSE CIE if you are doing English Language - it was one of the easiest exams I ever took. For 15 marks, which is a very good chunk of the overall marks of the paper, all you have to list 15 points about the passage you have just read. I think it's easier as many candidates who sit this don't speak English as a first language, so on top of that the grade boundaries are usually quite low.
The point is I need to get 5 GCSEs and the past papers I saw don't look very difficult

fennec
Rep:
?
I don't understand your question

ALL science GCSE include controlled assessments. There isn't an option for "not controlled".

IGCSE (also known as level 2 certificates) are a slightly different qualification that have a different specification and different exams but don't have controlled assessments. I recommend you consider the edexcel IGCSE for your 3 sciences.
Basically I found on the exams boards's websites that the controlled assessment for science is experiment and analysis of it. For English, analysis of a text.

The controlled assessment is 25% of the whole exam. I think for the new maths there won't be controlled assessment anymore. So the exam for English, maths & science include test on paper and controlled assessment, right?

I was wondering... are there books that concentrate on doing good controlled assessment? I think some practice would just do me good

The point is that I need to get 5 GCSEs. Not just for college but universities I want to apply to

gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Basically I found on the exams boards's websites that the controlled assessment for science is experiment and analysis of it. For English, analysis of a text.

The controlled assessment is 25% of the whole exam. I think for the new maths there won't be controlled assessment anymore. So the exam for English, maths & science include test on paper and controlled assessment, right?

I was wondering... are there books that concentrate on doing good controlled assessment? I think some practice would just do me good

The point is that I need to get 5 GCSEs. Not just for college but universities I want to apply to

Maths has not had a controlled assessment or coursework for many years. You are right about the science and English requirements. I can't recommend any books I'm afraid. Preparation for controlled assessments tends to be very much led by a subject teacher. I still think you would be better off looking at IGCSE for sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lorraine29
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I'm a private candidate studying English at GCSE level. I've been studying with ICS in preparation to sit the edexcel exam in June this year. The only issue I have is that I'm struggling to find an exam centre that is registered to do the IGCSE and the few that are registered are very expensive. My husband is a school teacher and his school have been more then willing to help but they are sitting their students to do the AQA english exam.
I understand b that the exams are similar but I'm not sure if it's risky to sit AQA english when I've been preparing for Edexcel? Please if someone could advise me on this.
fennec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lorraine29)
Hi I'm a private candidate studying English at GCSE level. I've been studying with ICS in preparation to sit the edexcel exam in June this year. The only issue I have is that I'm struggling to find an exam centre that is registered to do the IGCSE and the few that are registered are very expensive. My husband is a school teacher and his school have been more then willing to help but they are sitting their students to do the AQA english exam.
I understand b that the exams are similar but I'm not sure if it's risky to sit AQA english when I've been preparing for Edexcel? Please if someone could advise me on this.
Few days ago I booked my 8 IGCSEs with Edexcel as a private candidate for May/June 2017. You can find an Edexcel centre here http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...cel-exams.html

Plus I got in touch with Edexcel on twitter. They reply in 1 working day usually. I think their nickname on twitter is Edexcel students

It's much harder to find an AQA or OCR centre for private candidates

I recommend you to study the right exam board. For example now I'm studying on CGP book for Biology IGCSE for the Edexcel exam board

There could be some differences so stick to studying the same exam board you'll sit the exam with

Personally I paid for my 8 IGCSEs in South East London £960 so £120 each

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads