Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I listen to a lot of blues, it's one of my favourite genres. The only people I know who like the blues too are all male, I've never known any girl to be into the blues so I was just wondering does anyone know any girls who are into the blues? Are you a girl who is into the blues? Who do you like? Will you marry me?

ReputationRep:
    I like The Black Keys. Do they count? Apparantly they are blues. I wouldn't know. Who are some other blues bands?

ReputationRep:
    The black keys are kinda like a throwback to the post blues-rock early heavy metal... a lot of their stuff sounds like Led Zeppelin's first album. So yeah I would say the Black Keys have elements

Blues bands: Cream, Bluesbreakers, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Clapton, a lot of Jimi Hendrix's stuff, Janis Joplin, Moody Blues, The Yardbirds...

none of these bands are modern though. I don't think there are any mainstream blues bands nowadays, but in the 30s it was massive, in the 60s it was massive over here, in the 70s it died away, late 80s and early 90s it was big, and now it's gone again...

though they say its in for a new revival

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think Black Keys are great, and Hendrix is listenable, although to be honest, I'm not that much of a msuic fan. I much prefer 'visual' art, if you will: ie, film, theatre, literature.

ReputationRep:
    Actually now you come to mention it there aren't any girls I know who like blues...

ReputationRep:
    I saw Cream's reunion gig at the RAH :proud: Was quality.

And I saw John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers

Blues FTW! Can't beat a bit of "You shook me" by Led Zepp or "Have you ever loved a woman?" by Clapton.

ReputationRep:
    I like Led Zep, the Yardbirds, Janis Joplin, Moody Blues, Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan... but I wouldn't put any of them under 'pure' blues.

I thought you meant people like Lead Belly, Muddy Waters, etc... maybe even Billie Holiday.

Now, those are brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornUnderPunches)
    I like Led Zep, the Yardbirds, Janis Joplin, Moody Blues, Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan... but I wouldn't put any of them under 'pure' blues.

I thought you meant people like Lead Belly, Muddy Waters, etc... maybe even Billie Holiday.

Err, they're still the blues - no less so than Muddy Waters etc. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornUnderPunches)

yeha the real old blues, Muddy Waters is so phenomenal, you're my kinda gal sister

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not forgetting Robert Johnson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMB)
    yeha the real old blues, Muddy Waters is so phenomenal, you're my kinda gal sister

I have brilliant taste, you don't have to tell me

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes listen to Cream/Hendrix/Robert Johnson/Clapton but I prefer good old rock 'n' roll :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hispanic-Impressions)
    I sometimes listen to Cream/Hendrix/Robert Johnson/Clapton but I prefer good old rock 'n' roll :p:
    as in rock 'n' roll from the nifty fifties? Or do you mean rock? Either way you're cool but if by rock it's the likes of Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Roy Orbison then I'll just have to ask you to marry me.

ReputationRep:
    Every girlfriend I have I try and make listen to Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Blind Willie Johnson etc and they never seem to like, first time I'd noticed.

Maybe a bunch of men sitting around moaning isn't for them.

ReputationRep:
    I got Robert Johnson's Complete Recordings off amazon for about a fiver. Essential.

While not by any stretch pure blues, I've been listening to Trinity Session by Cowboy Junkies a lot recently, and there's some really intense, lightning-in-a-bottle bluesy moments on that record, mixed in amongst the country and "rock".

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Big Mama Thornton was a blues fan.

I think you've just been meeting the wrong women. It was a girl who really introduced me to listening to blues stuff (she had Robert Johnson and Professor Longhair, among other stuff, in her CD collection).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.