The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well how many Italians you met? Or Austrians? Swedes? Etc. Heck how many French?

The US has so many because of its Spanish history and proximity to Latin American culture. Obviously the UK is rather close to Spain, but the bond is not as close, and a lot of Spanish people won't migrate to the UK like Mexicans and Latins will to the US.
Original post by emerald7770
I was sitting down and thinking about random stuff. And realised, I've never met a Mexican or any other Hispanic in all 16 years of living.

Where do you live?
Original post by Abdukazam
Well how many Italians you met? Or Austrians? Swedes? Etc. Heck how many French?

The US has so many because of its Spanish history and proximity to Latin American culture. Obviously the UK is rather close to Spain, but the bond is not as close, and a lot of Spanish people won't migrate to the UK like Mexicans and Latins will to the US.

Ohh okay, thanks!!! :biggrin:
Original post by floatationdevice
Where do you live?

UK
I've met a few in the UK hmm
I was sitting down and thinking about random stuff. And realised, I've never met a Mexican or any other Hispanic in all 16 years of living.

Mexicans and other central Americans it;s unsuprising really ..

plenty of Spanish, Portugese and other mediterrean communitities in the UK
I don't see why they would want to with the increasing hate towards immigrants.
Reply 8
I know a Mexican :u:
Original post by zippyRN
Mexicans and other central Americans it;s unsuprising really ..

plenty of Spanish, Portugese and other mediterrean communitities in the UK

Much rarer in suburban and rural areas though (at least in my experience), around here mostly Poles, Eastern Europeans and South Asians.
Original post by Abdukazam
Much rarer in suburban and rural areas though (at least in my experience), around here mostly Poles, Eastern Europeans and South Asians.

In my experience the Mediterrean communities in the UK also tend to assimilate a lot more than some of the other communities , much like the pre Accession Polish community had ,,,
McDonald's near Warren Street/Euston/kings cross is all Spanish workers

You're not allowed by law to meet any until you're at least 18 - they carry tequila at all times and must give it to people they meet.
There are a reasonable amount in the UK, but not as much as in the USA for geographical/political reasons.
My next door neighbour is half-Mexican but looks like the complete article.

140,000 Portugese, 125,000 Spanish, 53,000 Brazillians (all 2015 ONS Stats), 5000 + Mexicans (although this latter figure is 2001 census so probably twice that now. Id bet most of them are in London. For the mexicans wiki suggest London, Oxvridge, Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester., Warwick, Edinburgh.
Lmao, I'm Brazilian, Edinburgh has a lot of Brazilians, Mexicans and Colombians. You may think you have never met any Latinos, but since we are so diverse you probably have without realising it.
Seen many in (South) London.
Do you consider Portuguese and Spanish to be Latinos? That term is used in the Americas to mean Latin American.
You get a lot more in America because it's right next to Mexico and close to many other hispanic countries. We get hardly any in the UK because we're so far from all of them.

Latest