Why is their hardly any Hispanics in the UK?

Watch
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was sitting down and thinking about random stuff. And realised, I've never met a Mexican or any other Hispanic in all 16 years of living.
Abdukazam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well how many Italians you met? Or Austrians? Swedes? Etc. Heck how many French?

The US has so many because of its Spanish history and proximity to Latin American culture. Obviously the UK is rather close to Spain, but the bond is not as close, and a lot of Spanish people won't migrate to the UK like Mexicans and Latins will to the US.
floatationdevice
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emerald7770)
I was sitting down and thinking about random stuff. And realised, I've never met a Mexican or any other Hispanic in all 16 years of living.
Where do you live?
username2926188
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdukazam)
Well how many Italians you met? Or Austrians? Swedes? Etc. Heck how many French?

The US has so many because of its Spanish history and proximity to Latin American culture. Obviously the UK is rather close to Spain, but the bond is not as close, and a lot of Spanish people won't migrate to the UK like Mexicans and Latins will to the US.
Ohh okay, thanks!!!
username2926188
Rep:
?
(Original post by floatationdevice)
Where do you live?
UK
username2705335
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've met a few in the UK hmm
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mexicans and other central Americans it;s unsuprising really ..

plenty of Spanish, Portugese and other mediterrean communitities in the UK
ellie0497
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't see why they would want to with the increasing hate towards immigrants.
OGGUS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know a Mexican
Abdukazam
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zippyRN)
Mexicans and other central Americans it;s unsuprising really ..

plenty of Spanish, Portugese and other mediterrean communitities in the UK
Much rarer in suburban and rural areas though (at least in my experience), around here mostly Poles, Eastern Europeans and South Asians.
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Abdukazam)
Much rarer in suburban and rural areas though (at least in my experience), around here mostly Poles, Eastern Europeans and South Asians.
In my experience the Mediterrean communities in the UK also tend to assimilate a lot more than some of the other communities , much like the pre Accession Polish community had ,,,
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
McDonald's near Warren Street/Euston/kings cross is all Spanish workers
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're not allowed by law to meet any until you're at least 18 - they carry tequila at all times and must give it to people they meet.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are a reasonable amount in the UK, but not as much as in the USA for geographical/political reasons.
jambojim97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My next door neighbour is half-Mexican but looks like the complete article.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
140,000 Portugese, 125,000 Spanish, 53,000 Brazillians (all 2015 ONS Stats), 5000 + Mexicans (although this latter figure is 2001 census so probably twice that now. Id bet most of them are in London. For the mexicans wiki suggest London, Oxvridge, Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester., Warwick, Edinburgh.
username4176136
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lmao, I'm Brazilian, Edinburgh has a lot of Brazilians, Mexicans and Colombians. You may think you have never met any Latinos, but since we are so diverse you probably have without realising it.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seen many in (South) London.
accassius1256
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do you consider Portuguese and Spanish to be Latinos? That term is used in the Americas to mean Latin American.
Thanosdidnowrong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You get a lot more in America because it's right next to Mexico and close to many other hispanic countries. We get hardly any in the UK because we're so far from all of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (39)
48.15%
No, they should still go ahead (19)
23.46%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (23)
28.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed