Turn on thread page Beta

Morrisons Should Dieeeeee watch

ReputationRep:
    I Hate morrisons so so much. In the past i have had my hair numerous colours and yeh theyve moaned but thats it. So i go in today with a different pink and they go mental saying i cant work with that hair and that i would have to be moved onto a different department or go home and change my hair colour for tomorrow. WELL ****** YOU MORRISONS. I cant believe how petty they are being about my hair! Its not like it affects my job ffs. All the checkout supervisors agree with me, they think its stupid and they're pissed off coz they've just lost a good checkout operator (the checkout manager said i was an angel coz i always help out and stay later n shizz) And they have no staff anyway coz people leave after like a week and they treat their staff like crap. I've walked out and im not going back, i had handed in my notice for next sunday anyway, just means im two weeks pay and holiday pay down. Thats annoying.

I HATE YOU MORRISONS.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What does your contract say? A lot of firms do not accept "extremes of fashion" it's fairly normal. Unfortunately as a checkout assisitant you're pretty expendable too so I imagine it's not a great loss for them, you handing your notice in.

There have been a few complaints about the whole company in the careers forum though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    What does your contract say? A lot of firms do not accept "extremes of fashion" it's fairly normal. Unfortunately as a checkout assisitant you're pretty expendable too so I imagine it's not a great loss for them, you handing your notice in.

There have been a few complaints about the whole company in the careers forum though.

lol it is when they are left with 3 checkout operaters on an evening lol. And it says its meant to be sombre. Its stupid though coz ive had it pink before. Yeh i wouldnt be suprised bout the complaints, worst company to ever work for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    I Hate morrisons so so much. In the past i have had my hair numerous colours and yeh theyve moaned but thats it. So i go in today with a different pink and they go mental saying i cant work with that hair and that i would have to be moved onto a different department or go home and change my hair colour for tomorrow. WELL ****** YOU MORRISONS. I cant believe how petty they are being about my hair! Its not like it affects my job ffs. All the checkout supervisors agree with me, they think its stupid and they're pissed off coz they've just lost a good checkout operator (the checkout manager said i was an angel coz i always help out and stay later n shizz) And they have no staff anyway coz people leave after like a week and they treat their staff like crap. I've walked out and im not going back, i had handed in my notice for next sunday anyway, just means im two weeks pay and holiday pay down. Thats annoying.

I HATE YOU MORRISONS.
    Most employers can tell you how to dress and present yourself. So I really don't know if you have the moral highground here. They have complained before about your hair (you said "In the past i have had my hair numerous colours and yeh theyve moaned"), so why push the limits? I don't know the full details, but from what I see so far, it doesn't seem you're being that reasonable or mature.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well if you're breaking your contract then they have every right to reprimand you. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. It sounds as though you've been warned before and not listened so now they've asked you to change it. It sounds a pretty normal disciplinary procedure to me.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't put someone with bright pink hair on the floor or my multi-million pound business (which I can only assume your Morrisons store is). It doesn't give the right image IMO.

ReputationRep:
    As BlackHawk says, a lot of companies have that policy. I used to work for example, they'd do their nut in as well. I think it's fair enough really, you're acting as the face of the company.

ReputationRep:
    ********s, even if it is in your contract it's still petty and no way to treat good staff. I was doing my shopping in Morissons once and one of the supervisors was having a go at this poor guy over his shelf facing, he was going "what the hell is that? That's not on at all..." cos a couple of tubes of pringles were facing the wrong way lol. I felt like telling him that, as a customer it was off putting seeing staff spoken to like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vector)
    Personally, I wouldn't put someone with bright pink hair on the floor or my multi-million pound business (which I can only assume your Morrisons store is). It doesn't give the right image IMO.
    I agree. I used to work for Morrisons myself, and they al;ways seemed to try and create a clean-cut image to the customer. I remember people with simple lip piercings were disciplined as they didn't look professional enough apparently, and I for one would not really be happy with a girl in bright pink hair serving me in the checkouts, as this may spoil the company image. Besides, they don't know what chemical muck is in that hair die. What if it gets into fresh food and contaminates it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's normal I think to have warning for hair colour. I used to work on checkouts at Tesco's and I remember my friend Ste being told to go home when he came in for a shift and shave his stubble off. Another lad was told to go home and dye the red streaks out his hair. Harsh, but if they're paying you to work, they can ask whatever they want of you within reason.

ReputationRep:
    well i went to the union last time round and they said i could have my hair any colour but they told me today the union is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impossible princess)
    ********s, even if it is in your contract it's still petty and no way to treat good staff. I was doing my shopping in Morissons once and one of the supervisors was having a go at this poor guy over his shelf facing, he was going "what the hell is that? That's not on at all..." cos a couple of tubes of pringles were facing the wrong way lol. I felt like telling him that, as a customer it was off putting seeing staff spoken to like that.
    Thems the rules though. You have to have all products facing the right way round. Admittedly the supervisor in question sounds rather harsh, but to be honest, in my experience at least, he sums up the Morrisons managament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    well i went to the union last time round and they said i could have my hair any colour but they told me today the union is wrong.
    Yes, the union is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    and i could understand if i was there for ages, i was only there for a week more!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    It's a good way to treat staff. Muliple warnings, then asked to change it then after that a disciplinary hearing if the staff memeber still refused. I think it's more than generous.

Staff are the face of a company, and customers make very quick first impressions as to whether they like a company or not. Most companies have blanket rules on these sorts of things, as as a staff memeber she will have signed a contract agreeing to it. Breach of contract is very serious.

Unfortunately as a chekout assistant you are very expendable. That doesn't mean they can treat you badly (and it doesn't sound as though they have) but if someone felt that they were making a statement by quitting then they'll be disapointed. Morrisons won't care, but the employee might when they're jobless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    Thems the rules though. You have to have all products facing the right way round. Admittedly the supervisor in question sounds rather harsh, but to be honest, in my experience at least, he sums up the Morrisons managament.
    All Supervisors agreed with me, it was personell that were gay.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    Yes, the union is wrong.
    :dito:

It's company preference. You signed a contact, agreed to it by signing and it is a legal document which you breached.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good way to treat staff. Muliple warnings, then asked to change it then after that a disciplinary hearing if the staff memeber still refused. I think it's more than generous.

Staff are the face of a company, and customers make very quick first impressions as to whether they like a company or not. Most companies have blanket rules on these sorts of things, as as a staff memeber she will have signed a contract agreeing to it. Breach of contract is very serious.

Unfortunately as a chekout assistant you are very expendable. That doesn't mean they can treat you badly (and it doesn't sound as though they have) but if someone felt that they were making a statement by quitting then they'll be disapointed. Morrisons won't care, but the employee might when they're jobless.
    No they gave me a warning, union told me there was nothing they could do, so i kept it. New personell manager turns up doesnt say anything. i change it to blonde for a bit and now ive changed it back to pink. then she comes out with (above) so no it wasnt multipal warnings. Also i was treated really badly, everyone has been there, thats why they lose 2 checkout staff a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    All Supervisors agreed with me, it was personell that were gay.
    Sometimes they just don't care. In my store personnell were the strictest amongst the management, our personnell manager would walk round the store telling people off if they wern't looking right. That sounds harsh, but if the staff contract is being broken, they have every right to do so.

ReputationRep:
    :dito:

It's company preference. You signed a contact, agreed to it by signing and it is a legal document which you breached.

Didnt sign anything lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.