The Student Room Group

Computing / Computer Science

Hi

I'm currently in year 11 finishing 7 GCSEs.

My initial plan was to do a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in computing & IT which is the equivalent of 3 a levels but my parents didn't like the idea much.

They want me to do A levels but I'm not sure what I should etc. I like more hands on programming stuff and not the maths sort of stuff so I'm really stuck with what to do.

I also considered applying to the open university after my gcses but my parents didn't want me staying at home all the time.

Any ideas? The frustration is real :/
Reply 1
Anyone??
Original post by unknown1209
Hi

My initial plan was to do a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in computing & IT which is the equivalent of 3 a levels but my parents didn't like the idea much.

They want me to do A levels but I'm not sure what I should etc. I like more hands on programming stuff and not the maths sort of stuff so I'm really stuck with what to do.

I also considered applying to the open university after my gcses but my parents didn't want me staying at home all the time.

Really try hard to convince your parents. When you're an adult you will honestly regret doing things only because your parents said so. Then check that the future uni you want to go to accepts your btec course x
Reply 3
Hi

Just do A-levels, I do computer science the maths really is not anything difficult(i got grade B in GCSE maths), this difficult part is the A2 theory but the AS has been so simple so far and i go to a private sixth form and have tests every week on each subject, also the coding you will just learn as you go on as i have found ,from no experience to being able to write almsot a full working programme in a term. If you want to go to uni you are much better off doing A-levels, dont waste your time with BTEC, also companies dont like it.
Reply 4
Original post by RS012
Just do A-levels, I do computer science the maths really is not anything difficult(i got grade B in GCSE maths), this difficult part is the A2 theory but the AS has been so simple so far and i go to a private sixth form and have tests every week on each subject, also the coding you will just learn as you go on as i have found ,from no experience to being able to write almsot a full working programme in a term. If you want to go to uni you are much better off doing A-levels, dont waste your time with BTEC, also companies dont like it.

MPW by any chance?

What a levels should I look at taking?

Thanks
Hi

Hate to say this mate, but your parents are absolutely right. It is a far better option to undertake A-Levels as opposed to BTEC for the following reasons:

1) You have more opportunities of getting into university if you did A-Levels. Why you may ask? Good question. Well, a lot of universities use A-Levels as their benchmark or entry requirements when giving out offers to prospective students. In fact a lot of the top universities such as UCL, Imperial etc do not even consider BTEC. So, if you did do A-Levels and say you applied to a university that also took on BTEC students - then you have more of a chance of getting in - believe me, I know.

2) A-Levels are more recognized by employers. Well, believe or not, more and more graduate schemes are also looking at what you got for your A-LEVELS. Not your BTEC or any other qualifications that you may have other than A-Levels. It has become apparent that more and more students are graduating and so graduate schemes are becoming more common-ground. Therefore, employers use a secondary benchmark to weed out candidates. This benchmark is of course A-Levels or even worse the International Baccalaureate - if you are an international student.

3) BTEC students are not well respected. Personally, I always have second-thoughts about BTEC students especially during my time at university. I came from an A-Level background and was surprisingly in a minority of students who did A-Levels on my course. This was a Computing course and although this may have been the case at the time - the university are now considering way more A-Level students. Anyways, I used to be on team projects where there were other BTEC, International Baccalaureate and A-Level students. Don't get me wrong, not every BTEC student is bad, lazy, selfish and road BUT at least 85% of those who I have come across doing BTEC were just not smart. They were extremely lazy and used to do badly in exams because their BTEC course was all coursework. A lot of them cheated too and they used to say how they "borrowed their mates coursework" or "paid the teacher to help them out". Their mentally was completely different from the A-Level and International Baccalaureate students and they ended up not getting a good degree - because they found the workload intensive. This leads me onto my next and final point.

4) The workload at university is intense and may not be suitable for BTEC candidates. BTEC being the vocational course it is does not entail many exam components or brain work. Mate, even my grandma can do a BTEC. There is no real brain-work or revision involved and frankly it is very easy to get distinction for BTEC. How do I know. Well, lets just say that I had a look at someones' coursework once. Mate, I helped him out a bit because he was struggling and the quality and standard of the work wasn't too good. There is no real challenge in doing a BTEC as there is with say an A-Level. This lack of challenge will affect such a BTEC student at university.

You got to look at the future mate. More and more young people are graduating meaning that it is getting more competitive for getting a decent job. My placement job only took me at the time because my A-Levels were fairly strong and my university module grades were good.

Quick Reply

Latest