Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Posting this under oxbridge because it is where I truely want to go (oxford, that is) and is by far the hardest to get into compared to everywhere else i'm applying.
    Anyway

Applying for History in 2008 and at AS I got an A in economics, politics and history (resiting one economics module and one history module as those results are completly anomolyous(sp) compared to the others, but strictly speaking don't need to), and a B in maths. Question is, is the effort I would put in to get an A in january in maths worth it? I know I can do it, but it would be a LOT of work, and I'm planning on dropping maths anyway, and just doing economics politics and history for A2.
    Do you think it will damage my chances significantly (having a B that is)? This isn't just an ego-boosting post, my GCSE's were pretty average (2 a*s 6 A's and 2 C's (french and art, i'm dyslexic), and I go to a private school. So the odds are marginally stacked against me I feel.
    Views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spike4848)
    Posting this under oxbridge because it is where I truely want to go (oxford, that is) and is by far the hardest to get into compared to everywhere else i'm applying.
    Anyway

Applying for History in 2008 and at AS I got an A in economics, politics and history (resiting one economics module and one history module as those results are completly anomolyous(sp) compared to the others, but strictly speaking don't need to), and a B in maths. Question is, is the effort I would put in to get an A in january in maths worth it? I know I can do it, but it would be a LOT of work, and I'm planning on dropping maths anyway, and just doing economics politics and history for A2.
    Do you think it will damage my chances significantly (having a B that is)? This isn't just an ego-boosting post, my GCSE's were pretty average (2 a*s 6 A's and 2 C's (french and art, i'm dyslexic), and I go to a private school. So the odds are marginally stacked against me I feel.
    Views?
    Nope, I don't think it'll be a huge impact. Colleges still in the main look for 3As at A-level not 4, and it's not a partciularly relevant subject to your course. If you think it may damage marks in other subject modules in January then definitely don't resit. I doubt it will hurt much if you don't. Really it comes down to how good you are at history, and an overall good academic base (ie 3As) + how you perform at interview is a vey important factor.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.