The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Shouldn't be too bad if you have two full Maths A-levels, though be prepared for questions why you dropped it.
Reply 2
It would be better if you had it, I *think*, there is lots of physics-type stuff in the maths course so it does help.
Epitomessence
Will I be disadvantaged?

Well, I wasn't. :smile:
Reply 4
generalebriety
Well, I wasn't. :smile:

Depends whether the OP meant in terms of getting accepted and/or doing the actual course...
Opsimathmo
Depends whether the OP meant in terms of getting accepted and/or doing the actual course...

Well, not really, I've done M4 so I'm more than prepared for any mechanics they throw at me. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they meant the former, unless they're being very presumptuous about having already got into Cambridge. :p:
Reply 6
avoid saying you didnt like it =P straight reply will be, then you dont like the maths we do here

haha, im picking up the A2 this year, some places ask for it, others dont mind. check the college preference online =]
generalebriety
Well, not really, I've done M4 so I'm more than prepared for any mechanics they throw at me. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they meant the former, unless they're being very presumptuous about having already got into Cambridge. :p:

Yeah, I did mean in terms of getting accepted. :biggrin: I hope I do!

I'm thinking of teaching myself M3 and M4... will that be too hard?
Epitomessence
Yeah, I did mean in terms of getting accepted. :biggrin: I hope I do!

I'm thinking of teaching myself M3 and M4... will that be too hard?

Oof.

No. :smile: But be prepared to work your ickle blue socks off. Really.
generalebriety
Oof.

No. :smile: But be prepared to work your ickle blue socks off. Really.

Oh, I will. I didn't pull my weight enough during AS and scraped some very jammy As (Economics and Physics were both just 9 marks into an A-grade :s-smilie: ), but now that I'm studying less subjects and in the final year, I *will* work harder.

Which A2 subjects did you take, then?
Epitomessence
Oh, I will. I didn't pull my weight enough during AS and scraped some very jammy As (Economics and Physics were both just 9 marks into an A-grade :s-smilie: ), but now that I'm studying less subjects and in the final year, I *will* work harder.

Which A2 subjects did you take, then?

Maths, further maths, French and German. :smile:
Crisis averted - I've decided not to apply to Cambridge after all. :biggrin:
haha that was epic xD
Reply 13
I got a question to all people that got into maths at Cambridge. Thought I'd ask here instead of make a new thread but if I don't get any answers I may make one. I'm reapplying to do maths and I've completed my A2 and am doing further maths this year because I decided not to go to uni this year for several reasons. Just wanted to know how good people that have got in for maths were at the interview process. Not in terms of UMS but how much reading around the subject had you done, could you do maths outside and beyond that of the A-level and STEP papers or is a very good knowledge at A-level and STEP and enthusiasm good enough.
Firstly, enthusiasm is the main thing. It really comes across well at interview, and if you couldn't care less, the interviewers pick that up straight away.
In terms of further reading, I read a couple of books that I'd put on my personal statement, and after re-reading before my interview, I got asked nothing about them at all. However, that's not to say that you won't - I got asked nothing general at all in my interview, whilst I know other people at other colleges who did. Be prepared, but further reading isn't that necessary.
What is required, on top of the enthusiasm, is a solid understanding of what you've studied so far. Both my interviews started out with basic questions on what I have done for A-level (and the bits of Further I'd covered), but by the end of both I was working with stuff I had never seen before and needed prompting from my interviewers. What they want is to see how well you think and will be able to cope with the course, and not necessarily what you already know.
I hope you understand that - because on re-reading I don't...
Reply 15
thanks, thats helpful. I guess that knowign all that Ive learnt is the best I can do then. What ever I know they're likely to ask me questions beyond that so when they do I guess that if I'm good enough I should be able to show them.
Reply 16
Are offers usually STEP I and II or II and III
Nearly always II and III, surely?
Reply 18
I would guess II and III. But does III require further A2 knowledge? because further AS is the only requirement when applying so some people with offers may not be taking further A2
Reply 19
Will be II/III if you are doing further maths A2, else I/II.